talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UK Politics & Brexit Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

So the government has lifted the ban on fracking. Liz trust heqd known for her environmental policies before but I always thought fracking was bad for the environment. @nudge what is the evidence on fracking and how dangerous is it thought to be?

The biggest danger is contamination of groundwater with the toxic waste, which is obviously very, very bad. 

3 hours ago, nudge said:

The biggest danger is contamination of groundwater with the toxic waste, which is obviously very, very bad. 

So is it dangerous for air pollution? I've got the impression they are not to sure but think it could be risky? And that countries are moving away from it so it doesn't seem like a good thing?

Edited by Gunnersaurus

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

So is it dangerous for air pollution? I've got the impression they are not to sure but think it could be risky? 

I mean, the nature of the process means that it does create harmful air emissions, that's not really debatable. I think the question is rather how bad it is, and if it can be kept at a low enough level by stricter regulations and controlling. As with everything, it's probably the matter of acceptable risks vs economical benefits. 

• Subscriber

The Labour membership have backed electoral reform at the party conference as well. Targeting proportional representation. Starmer hasn't openly backed this yet and I don't think he will. Interesting to see how that compromise will pan out by the time there's a manifesto for the next election.

Proportional representation is a double edged sword for Labour. On one hand, it makes it incredibly difficult for them to ever govern with a majority again, but on the other hand, it does the same thing for the Tories, who have fewer routes to building a coalition government than Labour.

If the polls continue to look the way they are currently heading, Labour won't just get back into power but can afford to throw a few big policies out there which would be a bit of a risky gamble if things were a bit closer. The current leadership seem more likely to play it safe and cruise comfortably into government though sadly.

Pound taking a beating is because Truss is lowering taxes with high national debt yet also with fuel subsidies raising public expenditure. The markets don't think she has a sound plan.

Truss is an ideologue so don't think she will change quickly which will put pressure on interest rates which might hurt some in the near future.

Fracking does have problems with toxicity and earth tremors in the wrong places yet nearly all manufacturing poisons rivers and the waste gets washed there due to cost of disposing of waste.

South East Asia is pretty bad as the main rivers become the rubbish disposal with huge amounts of plastic bottles going out to sea. 

Personally would like us to get hydrogen from sea water which would be dearer yet not as expensive as at the pump now. Hydrogen can also be used to burn cleanly. We would still need some oil though. 

1 hour ago, Waylander said:

Pound taking a beating is because Truss is lowering taxes with high national debt yet also with fuel subsidies raising public expenditure. The markets don't think she has a sound plan.

Truss is an ideologue so don't think she will change quickly which will put pressure on interest rates which might hurt some in the near future.

Fracking does have problems with toxicity and earth tremors in the wrong places yet nearly all manufacturing poisons rivers and the waste gets washed there due to cost of disposing of waste.

South East Asia is pretty bad as the main rivers become the rubbish disposal with huge amounts of plastic bottles going out to sea. 

Personally would like us to get hydrogen from sea water which would be dearer yet not as expensive as at the pump now. Hydrogen can also be used to burn cleanly. We would still need some oil though. 

I was an exercise science student before I traded my test tubes for an abacus, which means I was a chemistry student. Here's what they don't tell you about desalinization. 

1. It is MEGA energy intensive. Osmotic pressure is used to separate the hydrogen and oxygen from the shite in sea water. This requires enormous energy. In the middle of an energy crisis this is a shit and expensive idea. 

2. The waste product desalinization creates (what is left behind after you take out the water) is right up there with nuclear waste in terms of toxic fucked up shit that can only be disposed of long term by shooting it into space. Desalinization on a large scale is a thing that might be useful decades from now when renewable and nuclear energy are in full swing and we're already disposing of nuclear waste by firing it at the next galaxy over, but until then, no Bueno.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I was an exercise science student before I traded my test tubes for an abacus, which means I was a chemistry student. Here's what they don't tell you about desalinization. 

1. It is MEGA energy intensive. Osmotic pressure is used to separate the hydrogen and oxygen from the shite in sea water. This requires enormous energy. In the middle of an energy crisis this is a shit and expensive idea. 

2. The waste product desalinization creates (what is left behind after you take out the water) is right up there with nuclear waste in terms of toxic fucked up shit that can only be disposed of long term by shooting it into space. Desalinization on a large scale is a thing that might be useful decades from now when renewable and nuclear energy are in full swing and we're already disposing of nuclear waste by firing it at the next galaxy over, but until then, no Bueno.  

I thought it would be done more by eletrolysis rather than osmotic pressure which as you say leaves residue like brine which to date is seen as waste. Yes electrolysis would also use some type of fuel. 

Good to see Rupa Huq dealt with firmly by Labour.

Really seems a problematic aspect of politics of those who imply race determines political wing. I really do think comments like hers are wrong. In itself it just perpetuates racial prejudice. And it's just lunacy to be making racial comments about Kwasi Kwarteng. There a far easier point winners right now. People may privately think what Huq said, but to many people who do not automatically see politics through race tinted glasses, it shows signs of the rules she would probably like everyone else to follow somehow do not apply to her type thinking.

I think Thatcher the second stopping the bankers wage cap made her very unpopular. I expect cutting tax for the rich played a massive part as well but I think the bankers part was a bigger part. 

During the lockdowns I got quite interested in economics. From what I remember trickling down economics quite often dont work as the rich getting richer doesn't mean the poor do as well. 

3 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

I think Thatcher the second stopping the bankers wage cap made her very unpopular. I expect cutting tax for the rich played a massive part as well but I think the bankers part was a bigger part. 

During the lockdowns I got quite interested in economics. From what I remember trickling down economics quite often dont work as the rich getting richer doesn't mean the poor do as well. 

Trickle down economics is based around the premise that the ultra rich and the companies will pay workers more with the higher profits they receive, rather than just pocket the extra cash.

History has shown that time and time again, this sort of "supply side" economics just gives the people in society who already have the most even more. And I'm sure @Inverted would know more than me - but I think companies have a statutory duty to look out for shareholders, not their workers. So big profits with low overhead trumps paying workers more because companies have more.

There's reports that Tories are already putting in letters of no confidence with Truss. After 3 prime ministers that weren't elected, I think it's a bit rich that the tories want to pick yet another PM. Time for a general election if the tories think they've gotten it wrong, AGAIN, imo.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Trickle down economics is based around the premise that the ultra rich and the companies will pay workers more with the higher profits they receive, rather than just pocket the extra cash.

History has shown that time and time again, this sort of "supply side" economics just gives the people in society who already have the most even more. And I'm sure @Inverted would know more than me - but I think companies have a statutory duty to look out for shareholders, not their workers. So big profits with low overhead trumps paying workers more because companies have more.

There's reports that Tories are already putting in letters of no confidence with Truss. After 3 prime ministers that weren't elected, I think it's a bit rich that the tories want to pick yet another PM. Time for a general election if the tories think they've gotten it wrong, AGAIN, imo.

I dont think they will want one at the moment though?? From what I have read they will likely loose or get a hung parliament?

Just now, Gunnersaurus said:

I dont think they will want one at the moment though?? From what I have read they will likely loose or get a hung parliament?

Yeah of course they don't want one, but if they keep offering up rubbish candidates as PM and don't like anyone they actually put up it's kind of hard to say we're a proper democracy without actually giving the people a chance at picking the next PM instead of a group of tory weirdos that can't help but find a candidate worse than the last.