talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UK Politics & Brexit Discussion

football forum

And when the government has decided it has run out of cash after throwing a few more dozens of billions to their pals in non-tendered contracts, watch them go back on their word and set to work on finally dismantling public healthcare, too. 

Britain's population is eventually going to get the brutal, dismal life it has been voting for so desperately for decades. At this rate we will become another America, if not worse. 

And people are going to be dumbfounded as to how it happened - we are like one big stupid frog sitting in a pot of water, slowly coming to the boil.

Edited by Inverted
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Stan said:

Clearing the way for Chlorinated Chicken and the other low quality foodstuffs... 

6 hours ago, Inverted said:

watch them go back on their word and set to work on finally dismantling public healthcare, too. 

I actually think this will become a reality... you can just see it coming

1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

I actually think this will become a reality... you can just see it coming

It's inevitable. They'll try to pass it off as following in the footsteps of Belgium's "compulsory health insurance" (where most essential care is reimbursed) - but in actuality they'll push the American healthcare system on the UK.

And then the UK will get to enjoy hyperinflated drug prices like the US does - all while more people get much less care overall!

• Subscriber

Just pause and think that this government are STILL leading in the polls. That's how much people are invested in Boris Johnson and Brexit. The lead has stagnated at about 2-3% over the past couple of months, the last slight hit they took was over the exams scandal.

Starmer came out and publicly backed the circuit break lockdown yesterday so hopefully that'll see a little bit of a shake-up one way or the other. He's done alright so far, winning back a bit of support, but he needs to do more to create a real swing. More of the public support stricter measures than less strict measures which I don't necessarily agree with but you do feel a lot of those wanting stricter measures are already geared towards supporting Labour.

• Subscriber

Schrodinger's economy is back. The 6th biggest economy in the world who can afford to take a 5-10% hit to GDP by leaving a trading bloc that contains nearly all of our closest geographical members, and can afford to spend literal billions on the test and trace system that barely works.

When kids who aren't having food provided to them by their families for one reason or another need £20 a week to help feed them though, it's "we don't have an endless supply of money". It isn't more complicated than this.

A lot of the 322 MPs who voted against feeding children in poverty tonight have kids of their own. I'm paraphrasing a tweet I saw earlier but I wonder what they tell their own kids when they ask them "Daddy/Mummy, what did you do at work today?"

• Upvote 2

I saw a video which the eu parliament said we cant have our cake and eat it. I think it is from today or recently at least. Didnt remainers say this 4 years ago? :dash3:

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I saw a video which the eu parliament said we cant have our cake and eat it. I think it is from today or recently at least. Didnt remainers say this 4 years ago? :dash3:

I'm pretty sure not only remainers said that... but that's basically been the EU's position the entire time. I mean, realistically... what incentive does the EU have to give us to let us keep all the parts of EU membership we like, while getting to ignore obligations other EU members have? The goodness of their hearts?

Brexit's one of those situations where I don't know who I blame more... the politicians that lied through their teeth about the realities of what Brexit might mean, or the voters who really should have considered what voting "leave" meant. Most Brexit voters thought, at the time of the referendum, that we'd be pushing for a "soft Brexit" and we were told that "no deal" was off the table.

Then we were told "no deal is better than a bad deal"... as May twice tried to get a bad deal through Parliament to avoid no deal. Now we're being told not to worry about it and that it'll go fine, even when many industries have received absolutely fuck all guidance on what the fuck will be going on in a few months, and we've had COVID battering the economy.

I don't know how the fuck we're supposed to get through COVID & Brexit with BoJo and his pack of clowns at the helm.

59 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm pretty sure not only remainers said that... but that's basically been the EU's position the entire time. I mean, realistically... what incentive does the EU have to give us to let us keep all the parts of EU membership we like, while getting to ignore obligations other EU members have? The goodness of their hearts?

Brexit's one of those situations where I don't know who I blame more... the politicians that lied through their teeth about the realities of what Brexit might mean, or the voters who really should have considered what voting "leave" meant. Most Brexit voters thought, at the time of the referendum, that we'd be pushing for a "soft Brexit" and we were told that "no deal" was off the table.

Then we were told "no deal is better than a bad deal"... as May twice tried to get a bad deal through Parliament to avoid no deal. Now we're being told not to worry about it and that it'll go fine, even when many industries have received absolutely fuck all guidance on what the fuck will be going on in a few months, and we've had COVID battering the economy.

I don't know how the fuck we're supposed to get through COVID & Brexit with BoJo and his pack of clowns at the helm.

The fact that Brexit was influenced by a. racism and b. breaking of data protection and it hasn’t gone unchallenged is scandalous but also so very British 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Danny said:

The fact that Brexit was influenced by a. racism and b. breaking of data protection and it hasn’t gone unchallenged is scandalous but also so very British 

Such a very British scandal, for sure. It's because the government doesn't want to address: i.) the obvious racism that clouds our society; ii.) the fact that many in government benefitted from use (or misuse, rather) of data collection & targeted misinformation campaigns.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Such a very British scandal, for sure. It's because the government doesn't want to address: i.) the obvious racism that clouds our society; ii.) the fact that many in government benefitted from use (or misuse, rather) of data collection & targeted misinformation campaigns.

The fact that we have access to the internet and this country, that was literally built on and became rich on racism, will still refuse to believe that it’s effected nearly every facet of what goes on here is so on brand for Britain.

The 'date breaches' didn't go unchallenged, it was and they cleared them:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54457407

Even as someone who voted Remain I've been utterly embarrassed by the whining and refusal to accept that Remain lost fair and square. Remain fought a middle class, Tory campaign and deservedly lost because of it. Crying about interference is pathetic.

6 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

The 'date breaches' didn't go unchallenged, it was and they cleared them:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54457407

Even as someone who voted Remain I've been utterly embarrassed by the whining and refusal to accept that Remain lost fair and square. Remain fought a middle class, Tory campaign and deservedly lost because of it. Crying about interference is pathetic.

Hadn’t seen that news, specifically remembered it being reported that breaches weren’t to be looked into. Was also referring to this https://www.channel4.com/news/arron-banks-and-the-ukip-data-hijack but it seems the article you shared was published in October and after this programme was published.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-border-insight-idUKKBN27B0MM

reading this news and thinking about how little progress we've made at all on the whole Brexit issue had me thinking... has anyone else wondered what else the UK could have been up to, politically, if we hadn't farted around with the referendum and subsequently just watched our government bumble around not doing anything for the last 4 years?

How many actual issues have just been put on the backburner, while the government has done pretty much fuck all to prepare businesses or individuals for what lies ahead?

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Inverted said:

This government is truly insane. 

They're so misguided it's fucking stupid now.

James Cleverly is on the bandwagon now as well.

We don't hate them cos of their skin colour. It's because of their fucking ineptness to run the country that screws them over. 

• Subscriber

It's the "I know you are but what am I" approach that Trump got away with for so long. If someone accuses you of something then just accuse your opposition of the same thing and let the little people battle it out depending on which side they think they're on. Get enough cronies and client journalists to become prominent enough in the media to neutralise the discourse there, and if things ever top too far against you just cry about the fake news "MSM" or impartiality if it's the UK. Finally, label any ordinary people who get too far above their station because they called you out on being wrong on something that's actually their area of expertise lefty activists or do-gooders. Reference Antifa or defunding the police if you really need to scare the people who aren't really paying attention into recoiling from your enemy too.

It will pass though, hopefully starting with the US election next week.

• Administrator

It's nice seeing Hartley-Brewer being put down because she can be an obnoxious piece of work at times. 

Also some of the remarks and comments you see from Twitter accounts - usually with England/Union Jack flags, no picture and horrendous grammar - about people dying and drowning is disgusting.