talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UK Politics & Brexit Discussion

football forum

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

As you say, good that we have one ( whatever it may be ) Now watch him spend the next few weeks beating his chest like King Kong and hoping it will distract everyone for a while from the Covid situation we are all in... 

Agree. He'll lap up all the praise for it no doubt but as Rando said, time will tell just how good it is when it comes to details etc. 

Us: Give us the details!

The Government: hang on let us celebrate like we’ve won a World Cup!

It’s a Tory government celebrating, so don’t be surprised if we’ve sold every person that earns under a certain amount per year to work as slaves in France or some shite like that

• Administrator
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Us: Give us the details!

The Government: hang on let us celebrate like we’ve won a World Cup!

It’s a Tory government celebrating, so don’t be surprised if we’ve sold every person that earns under a certain amount per year to work as slaves in France or some shite like that

UK has cut off a huge part of it's nose to spite it's own face. Yeah we got a deal but at what cost? Only time will tell.

Apparently, UK 'chose not to be' in the Erasmus programme which is definitely one of the shittest outcomes of this deal. 

Just now, Stan said:

UK has cut off a huge part of it's nose to spite it's own face. Yeah we got a deal but at what cost? Only time will tell.

Apparently, UK 'chose not to be' in the Erasmus programme which is definitely one of the shittest outcomes of this deal. 

Look, don’t let the details get in the way of celebrating. The important thing is that Brexit means Brexit

• Administrator
1 minute ago, shut up said:

Boris Johnson possibly agreeing to the shittest deal in history

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Look, don’t let the details get in the way of celebrating. The important thing is that Brexit means Brexit

But hey it's okay he got the deal done in time what an absolute legend.

• Subscriber

Better than leaving without a deal. I give Boris Johnson zero credit for it by the way, but I'm personally choosing to take the next few days to take the small victory, and it is one whichever way you voted in 2016.

The next few days are going to be hilarious. There will be Brexiters pointing at things that we already had while in the EU and using it as evidence that it was a good deal, and there will be Remainers pointing out things that they wanted to keep and Brexiters didn't and gloating that they didn't get what they voted for.

For the sake of my mental health, I'm just going to focus on the memes, wait for the detail to come out and try to patiently let this whole thing play out over the next few years. In other words, I'll be ranting and raving before the end of January about a number of things we don't even know about right now.

On 24/12/2020 at 16:52, RandoEFC said:

For the sake of my mental health, I'm just going to focus on the memes, wait for the detail to come out and try to patiently let this whole thing play out over the next few years. In other words, I'll be ranting and raving before the end of January about a number of things we don't even know about right now.

Just wait until they start building a wall around the Isle of man..

• Administrator

LEAVE.EU moved their Internet domain address to Ireland so that they can stay in the EU. 

Absolute joke how they took people for mugs and people lapped it up under the guise of sovereignty and 'taking back control'. Pathetic. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

LEAVE.EU moved their Internet domain address to Ireland so that they can stay in the EU. 

Absolute joke how they took people for mugs and people lapped it up under the guise of sovereignty and 'taking back control'. Pathetic. 

They took people for mugs, but were they wrong to do so?

It seems like there’s way more stupid people in the world than we like to pretend there aren’t. Maybe it’s a failing of others in politics that they treat voters as though they’ve got the base intelligence to vote in their own interests. Maybe we need to start having people start using the same manipulation tactics to get people to vote in ways that are more logical.

I genuinely think all problems Tory governments face will scapegoat the fuck out of the EU, as always. And the voting public will gobble it up.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

They took people for mugs, but were they wrong to do so?

It seems like there’s way more stupid people in the world than we like to pretend there aren’t. Maybe it’s a failing of others in politics that they treat voters as though they’ve got the base intelligence to vote in their own interests. Maybe we need to start having people start using the same manipulation tactics to get people to vote in ways that are more logical.

I genuinely think all problems Tory governments face will scapegoat the fuck out of the EU, as always. And the voting public will gobble it up.

Yes very predictable this will be the case. I often find with this particular government they struggle to own up, be honest, take responsibility or ownership of things. Anything going wrong is very rarely their fault, if ever, but if something goes right they're extremely quick to take credit for it. 

Take all the Covid-19 stuff. They've never held their hands up and said 'that was wrong, we apologise but we'll try and get it right next time'. It's always been public to blame (in some cases they are). But if something goes right, even if it's very late in the day they'll happily act as if it was all them. 

I guess when you have smarmy, snidey, slimey people like Patel, Gove, Raab and Hancock it's no surprise what their attitude is like and how they treat people worse off than them. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

This has made me really happy today.

I wish the actually decent majority of people in the UK could make themselves heard like this more often, even if outside of education, this alone doesn't cause a ripple.

Surest way to get rid of Williamson and Johnson and support your kids' teachers is not to vote Tory ever again and convince your Mum and Dad to use their Daily Mails and Telegraphs for the fireplace.

This, however, made me less happy:

Simply insane numbers yet people will still think that the debate over closing schools was about unions trying to get one over the Conservative government.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Danny said:

So correct me if I’m wrong but the government paid a private company (double) to organise these £30 food boxes and when they arrived it was less than a 5er.

Hatred for helping poorer people in this country is really staggering.

It's disgusting. No surprise there's links to the company responsible for providing these to a Tory donor (also a big-game hunter but that's cunty on a separate level).

There seems to be no end on how this government will just fuck up the lives of so many, more at the poorer end of the scale as you say. They literally do not give a shit about anyone but themselves. As long as they're fine, that's all that matters. Let everyone else struggle.  

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

It's disgusting. No surprise there's links to the company responsible for providing these to a Tory donor (also a big-game hunter but that's cunty on a separate level).

There seems to be no end on how this government will just fuck up the lives of so many, more at the poorer end of the scale as you say. They literally do not give a shit about anyone but themselves. As long as they're fine, that's all that matters. Let everyone else struggle.  

“Take it on the chin”

40 minutes ago, Danny said:

So correct me if I’m wrong but the government paid a private company (double) to organise these £30 food boxes and when they arrived it was less than a 5er.

Hatred for helping poorer people in this country is really staggering.

Saw the picture of the contents of that food box and it was a fucking disgrace. Hopefully some public outcry can get them actually providing food to the value of £30 or get them removed from the scheme altogether. 

This company Chartwell’s has previous of this sort of shite as well. Saw another article where they had charged £11 quid for about three chocolate biscuits, a packet of crisps and a slab of butter. Utter utter cunts. 

• Subscriber

Do you want to know what's really depressing? The fact that almost all people who have contributed to keeping this party in power over the past 10 years know that this is what they're about. They won't admit it even to themselves but deep down, they know. Taking food out of the mouths of impoverished children to bump up the profit margins of one of their donors. There's absolutely no reason why they couldn't provide families with a £30 voucher that's valid to spend at Tesco, Coop, Morrison's, etc. if they're concerned about the parents spending the money on alcohol and flat-screen TVs instead (which itself is another fallacy created by the Murdoch media to turn the little people against each other so that they don't spend time worrying about how corrupt the ruling class really is). 

In a normal country with a compassionate public and a less toxic discourse, this would be an absolute scandal on its own, even without the context of school closures and a global pandemic. But in England it'll just be "that's a shame", "life's not fair", "well they shouldn't have kids if they can't feed them", "Boris is doing his best" for a couple of days, then we'll be back to talking about how the police are "taking away our fweedom" because one officer fined two women for having a coffee together, or how "big tech" are threatening "fwee speech" by suspending the account of a man who incites armed riots against an elected government. Best case scenario, Marcus Rashford rallies enough of a petition to force the government's hand but is that how low we've been brought?

Also, this is why the Corbynite cultists that call themselves Labour activists and have convinced themselves that they're the "real Labour Party" need to get in the bin as well. How can you spend your time and energy crying about the fact that Keir Starmer wore a purple tie yesterday (yes, this happened, look it up) when this lot are still in power? Some of them would genuinely rather another 10 years of Conservative rule to prove that a centrist Labour candidate can't succeed where Corbyn miserably failed, than actually see a Labour government in power.

It's easy to get numb to it but sometimes you just have to pause and take stock of what an utterly disgusting, morally reprehensible country we've become.

We're talking about children, for fuck's sake. Children.

6 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Do you want to know what's really depressing? The fact that almost all people who have contributed to keeping this party in power over the past 10 years know that this is what they're about. They won't admit it even to themselves but deep down, they know. Taking food out of the mouths of impoverished children to bump up the profit margins of one of their donors. There's absolutely no reason why they couldn't provide families with a £30 voucher that's valid to spend at Tesco, Coop, Morrison's, etc. if they're concerned about the parents spending the money on alcohol and flat-screen TVs instead (which itself is another fallacy created by the Murdoch media to turn the little people against each other so that they don't spend time worrying about how corrupt the ruling class really is). 

In a normal country with a compassionate public and a less toxic discourse, this would be an absolute scandal on its own, even without the context of school closures and a global pandemic. But in England it'll just be "that's a shame", "life's not fair", "well they shouldn't have kids if they can't feed them", "Boris is doing his best" for a couple of days, then we'll be back to talking about how the police are "taking away our fweedom" because one officer fined two women for having a coffee together, or how "big tech" are threatening "fwee speech" by suspending the account of a man who incites armed riots against an elected government. Best case scenario, Marcus Rashford rallies enough of a petition to force the government's hand but is that how low we've been brought?

Also, this is why the Corbynite cultists that call themselves Labour activists and have convinced themselves that they're the "real Labour Party" need to get in the bin as well. How can you spend your time and energy crying about the fact that Keir Starmer wore a purple tie yesterday (yes, this happened, look it up) when this lot are still in power? Some of them would genuinely rather another 10 years of Conservative rule to prove that a centrist Labour candidate can't succeed where Corbyn miserably failed, than actually see a Labour government in power.

It's easy to get numb to it but sometimes you just have to pause and take stock of what an utterly disgusting, morally reprehensible country we've become.

We're talking about children, for fuck's sake. Children.

I don't think that's the case at all. I think they saw how a centrist Labour government has played it's part in leading us to what we have in government today and don't want that to happen again. Of course a Labour government tomorrow would be better for poorer people than what we have now, but is what Starmer is going to offer going to bring about proper long term change? He's already pandering to the big donors and backtracking on his 10 pledges that he stood for leadership on. 

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I don't think that's the case at all. I think they saw how a centrist Labour government has played it's part in leading us to what we have in government today and don't want that to happen again. Of course a Labour government tomorrow would be better for poorer people than what we have now, but is what Starmer is going to offer going to bring about proper long term change? He's already pandering to the big donors and backtracking on his 10 pledges that he stood for leadership on. 

Starmer isn't perfect but England is a very gammony country and you can't force an electorate to vote for what you and I would call long term positive change if they just don't want it. And they don't. Sadly, England just wants to live in the glory days of the Second World War which barely any of them were actually alive for, England wants to cling on to the vague nostalgia of a time they've only heard about from their parents and their history textbooks and England wants to bow and scrape to a ruling class that would spit on them before helping them feed their children.

The best chance of long term change is for the Labour party to sneak into power in a form that is actually electable to the Little England of today and slowly show the country that being a bit more kind and looking after each other is actually a good thing. I'm afraid there is a certain section of the left of the party though that would rather have a pop at Starmer for wearing a purple tie and call him Keith (I don't know) than have a pop at Johnson and the Tories. They're not going to go and vote Conservative at the next election but they aren't helping the party function as a machine that can eventually win an election.

Should the centrist part of the Labour Party supported Corbyn better in the same way? Almost certainly, although the buck still stops with him on the anti-semitism problems. I don't think he'd ever have been elected anyway though. If the UK was ready to vote for a truly progressive government then Caroline Lucas would be prime minister. The sad reality is that this is a country that voted for Brexit just a few years ago. We're a long, long way away from anything close to a left wing electorate although I do think there's a tiny, tiny chance that the Tories will be hit badly in 15-20 years when our generation and the one below who have had Brexit, Covid and Boris Johnson inflicted upon them become the dominant demographic in the electorate. Hopefully scars like that will ensure that people have long memories but I don't have my hopes too high.

From what I have read the general consensus is that the uk will likely have around a 6 percent drop in GDP because of brexit. So how bad is that? 6 percent doesn't seem like much but sometimes these small drops are worse than  they seem 

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

From what I have read the general consensus is that the uk will likely have around a 6 percent drop in GDP because of brexit. So how bad is that? 6 percent doesn't seem like much but sometimes these small drops are worse than  they seem 

A 6% drop off from the pre-Covid GDP would set us back to about 2015. The hit to GDP in the first half of 2020 caused by the initial wave of Covid was not far off 20% if that helps put things into perspective. We won't end up knowing what the real impact of Brexit ends up being to be fair because Covid has been a much larger economic shock and the effects will be mixed together over the next few years.