talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Motorsports - General Chat

football forum

Just now, nudge said:

Two Porsches 😝

It's a good thing it's a quali, and not a race 😃 also, it's possible that the Balance of Performance hurt them as well; we'll see on Saturday...

Yeah missed #22, but that's good. 

I want to drive a 911 right now after watching that. 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Eco said:

Certainly understand that. 

As in an ultra where running start slow and just get slower, then I am quite familiar with this racing philosophy. 😅 

Ha, as the old cliche goes - to finish first, you first have to finish... 😃

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Got to feel for Audi #32 and Laurens Vanthoor - dominated the practice and pre-quali, but will start last as they failed to set laps in two quali sessions because of red flags 😬

Yeah certainly unlucky in Q2 as it was a mad house and the red flags came about at the worst possible for the majority of the field. 

@nudge - What would you do if you could drive, or ride, in the Porsche 356 SL?

Just watched Episode 1, and that got me excited about these 24h races, and also, can't believe the stories of them driving the race car to Le Mans, racing, and then driving it home. 

That is absolutely class.  

• Upvote 1

I feel like my love of Motorsports is so similar to my love of Football. 

Football, or soccer, being a sport that isn't popular here, but was brought to my attention thanks to the '94 World Cup and my Dad getting into to, and from then on out, I kept watching the World Cup...Years later I got introduced into European club football, and my life was changed. I feel in love and find club football so much better than World Cup, even though the popularity isn't there (at least here). 

Grew up with Nascar, yawn, and a few years ago got introduced to F1, and now I'm finding out about endurance races and again, I feel like my sports life will never be the same. This is absolutely brilliant. 

• Like 1

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Eco said:

@nudge - What would you do if you could drive, or ride, in the Porsche 356 SL?

Just watched Episode 1, and that got me excited about these 24h races, and also, can't believe the stories of them driving the race car to Le Mans, racing, and then driving it home. 

That is absolutely class.  

Yeah,  completely different times 😅 I love old school racing, and I love the cars. Endurance racing just has this very special feel, it always has... There's nothing quite like it, in my opinion.

As for 356 SL, that would be very cool, but my personal all-time favourites are 917 and 962C. Pure magic...

Just now, nudge said:

Endurance racing just has this very special feel, it always has... There's nothing quite like it, in my opinion.

Yeah - I have always loved endurance anything from my earliest days. Ran 5ks in high school, and then went straight into much longer distances and even Ironman triathlons. Also, I used to compete in online and in-person 24h chess tournaments where you get a point per win and just the person with the most points win. Choice between a 300pg book and one with 1k? That's right, give him the mammoth novel. 

People always assumed I was a bit off, and maybe I am. 😆

Just now, nudge said:

As for 356 SL, that would be very cool, but my personal all-time favourites are 917 and 962C. Pure magic...

Alright, time for google! 

6 minutes ago, nudge said:

917 looks like a spaceship from a sci-fi novel. 

What are some of your favorite endurance drivers? 

I only know one off the top of my head, and that's the Andretti family. 

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Eco said:

I feel like my love of Motorsports is so similar to my love of Football. 

Football, or soccer, being a sport that isn't popular here, but was brought to my attention thanks to the '94 World Cup and my Dad getting into to, and from then on out, I kept watching the World Cup...Years later I got introduced into European club football, and my life was changed. I feel in love and find club football so much better than World Cup, even though the popularity isn't there (at least here). 

Grew up with Nascar, yawn, and a few years ago got introduced to F1, and now I'm finding out about endurance races and again, I feel like my sports life will never be the same. This is absolutely brilliant. 

I love reading this. So happy to see other people fall in love with motor racing, and especially when they go deeper than just the flashy stuff like F1.

When you're finished with those Porsche videos, you HAVE to read about and watch docus on Mille Miglia, Targa Florio and Carrera Panamericana. It's the stuff that legends are made of! The beginning of it all, and it captured the spirit of endurance racing so well. ❤️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

I love reading this. So happy to see other people fall in love with motor racing, and especially when they go deeper than just the flashy stuff like F1.

When you're finished with those Porsche videos, you HAVE to read about and watch docus on Mille Miglia, Targa Florio and Carrera Panamericana. It's the stuff that legends are made of! The beginning of it all, and it captured the spirit of endurance racing so well. ❤️

I know enough to know that Mille Miglia means 1,000mi....so is that a 1,000 mile race? Oh jeez, there goes my weekend, I have a lot of reading to do. 

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Eco said:

917 looks like a spaceship from a sci-fi novel. 

What are some of your favorite endurance drivers? 

I only know one off the top of my head, and that's the Andretti family. 

As in, all time?

Stefan Belloff.

Hans-Joachim Stuck.

Timo Bernhard.

Alex Wurz.

Kevin Estre.

For an American legend outside of Andretti family, check out A.J. Foyt!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nudge said:

As in, all time?

Stefan Belloff.

Hans-Joachim Stuck.

Timo Bernhard.

Alex Wurz.

Kevin Estre.

For an American legend outside of Andretti family, check out A.J. Foyt!

I know that name through Nascar, but I didn't know he did Endurance racing. 

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Eco said:

I know enough to know that Mille Miglia means 1,000mi....so is that a 1,000 mile race? Oh jeez, there goes my weekend, I have a lot of reading to do. 

Yep 😊 1000 miles on open public roads in Italy, no barriers, no control. Legendary.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Eco said:

I know that name through Nascar, but I didn't know he did Endurance racing. 

He did everything! 😅 Like most of the racing drivers back then, but he's one of the few to win it all - including endurance races like Le Mans, Daytona 24, Indy 500. 

• Upvote 1

I have found some series/movies about endurance racing. One call Le Mans: Racing is Everything, Le Mans, and another called Steve McQueen...

Now I have a lot to watch as well. Life is fantastic. 

• Like 1

• Subscriber
41 minutes ago, Eco said:

A bit odd that the photos aren't from today....He was #21, but that car definitely says #16 😅

Oh those electronic displays do not show the car number. It's overall position in qualifying, or the position in class during the race. 

9 hours ago, nudge said:

Oh those electronic displays do not show the car number. It's overall position in qualifying, or the position in class during the race. 

Ah - got it. 

I thought they were the car numbers. 

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Eco said:

@nudge - So is today's 'race' actually the Super Quali they were discussing? Can you briefly describe the purpose and format? 

The superpole, yes. It's a separate quali for the 20 best cars from yesterday to decide the starting grid from 1 to 20.

Just now, nudge said:

The superpole, yes. It's a separate quali for the 20 best cars from yesterday to decide the starting grid from 1 to 20.

So it's basically Q3 in F1 terms. 

Got it. 

What is this race on now? GT4?