• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Motorsports - General Chat

football forum

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

@nudge - Watching Pre-Quali for SPA 24. 

I'm guessing this starts on Saturday AM, with Quali being tomorrow? 

Quali is later tonight, then super pole tomorrow evening. The race starts Saturday at 16:30 CEST!

• Upvote 1

cheers - I'm going to try and watch it, I haven't done a good job of keeping up with it and when quali and races are...but I luckily found out about this while watch the NASA channel. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Eco said:

cheers - I'm going to try and watch it, I haven't done a good job of keeping up with it and when quali and races are...but I luckily found out about this while watch the NASA channel. 

Yeah this weekend is going to be clogged with things to watch again... Football, F1, F3, Spa 24h... 

I use this to keep up, mostly: https://raceday.watch/ It even converts it to your local time automatically.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Eco said:

Also, might be doing this this weekend, as this on my list of things to do before I die, and imagine you'd also absolutely love it @nudge

https://www.porschedriving.com/atlanta/driving

Yeah, that looks class...

I booked my dad a drive with Ferrari 430 Spider on a racing track as his birthday present a few years ago. Only 20 minutes (4 laps), but we had a lot of fun...

Just now, nudge said:

Yeah, that looks class...

I booked my dad a drive with Ferrari 430 Spider on a racing track as his birthday present a few years ago. Only 20 minutes (4 laps), but we had a lot of fun...

Yeah - one of the experiences is 4 hours of driving in different Porsches, so I may just do that this weekend and get to experience it since I've never driven a Porsche before. 

• Like 1

So in these 24h GT races, I see the standings, but not much else, and it looks like anyone can register for any race..? 

That seems really cool, but impossible to get behind a team really as it seems to always be changing, right? 

Just now, Eco said:

So in these 24h GT races, I see the standings, but not much else, and it looks like anyone can register for any race..? 

That seems really cool, but impossible to get behind a team really as it seems to always be changing, right? 

Nevermind. 

I think I understand that SPA 24h is NOT part of the GT series, but just a solo race. 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Eco said:

Nevermind. 

I think I understand that SPA 24h is NOT part of the GT series, but just a solo race. 

It's a bit more complicated, haha - it's actually a part of the calendar of Intercontinental GT Challenge racing series and also of GT World Challenge Europe series , but just like Nürburgring or Le Mans, it's also a solo race in a sense that it attracts a lot of teams and drivers that are not participating in the full season of the racing series.

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Eco said:

The only driver's name that I've recognized thus far is Cam Ilott and Dries Vanthoor

Jack Aitken is taking part, too :) 

Most of the best GT3 drivers are there!

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, Eco said:

For me, it's easy - I always support Porsche, and then have my favourite drivers (or in some series, also specific Porsche-backed teams), so I simply root for them. 

Just now, nudge said:

For me, it's easy - I always support Porsche, and then have my favourite drivers (or in some series, also specific Porsche-backed teams), so I simply root for them. 

Yeah I was also going to go with Porsche, but I see this list, and there are some teams with 4 drivers, others with 3, some with asterisks, others without, yet no key so I have no idea what's going on. 

https://www.totalenergies24hours.com/entry-list

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yeah I was also going to go with Porsche, but I see this list, and there are some teams with 4 drivers, others with 3, some with asterisks, others without, yet no key so I have no idea what's going on. 

https://www.totalenergies24hours.com/entry-list

The asterisks indicate that the team  takes part in the full season of Intercontinental GT Challenge, the rest are there just for this race only. 

As for number of drivers, there are different regulations for different classes within the race. Important - the classes are defined solely by driver categorisation while the cars are equal in terms of capability. Pro teams are allowed 3 drivers (no additional rules on categorisation), Silver teams are allowed up to 4 drivers (all Silver), in Pro-Am you can have a maximum of 2 Platinum and 2 Bronze drivers, and finally in Am you're allowed 4 drivers, with a maximum of 1 Silver driver - so either 4 Bronze, or 3 Bronze + 1 Silver.

My favourite Pro driver is Kevin Estre, so I'll be rooting for car #21 (Rutronik Racing) to get the overall win.  In Pro-Am, I'm always cheering for Herberth Motorsport (car #911) as I got to meet the Renauer brothers a long time ago, love the familial atmosphere in the team and have been following them ever since.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nudge said:

The asterisks indicate that the team  takes part in the full season of Intercontinental GT Challenge, the rest are there just for this race only. 

As for number of drivers, there are different regulations for different classes within the race. Important - the classes are defined solely by driver categorisation while the cars are equal in terms of capability. Pro teams are allowed 3 drivers (no additional rules on categorisation), Silver teams are allowed up to 4 drivers (all Silver), in Pro-Am you can have a maximum of 2 Platinum and 2 Bronze drivers, and finally in Am you're allowed 4 drivers, with a maximum of 1 Silver driver - so either 4 Bronze, or 3 Bronze + 1 Silver.

My favourite Pro driver is Kevin Estre, so I'll be rooting for car #21 (Rutronik Racing) to get the overall win.  In Pro-Am, I'm always cheering for Herberth Motorsport (car #911) as I got to meet the Renauer brothers a long time ago, love the familial atmosphere in the team and have been following them ever since.

So the teams with 3 drivers are the fastest cars? 

Good to know. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Eco said:

So the teams with 3 drivers are the fastest cars? 

Good to know. 

The best drivers would be more correct, as the cars are all as equal as possible:) Also it's important to note that some teams in lower classes might simply choose to have a three driver lineup even if they are allowed 4! 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Eco said:

@nudge

Looks like rain is in the forecast for Sat-Sun...

Could be a very interesting race. 

Spa usually delivers in this aspect xD Hopefully, not too much of rain though, as I don't want to see it red-flagged prematurely again 🙄

2016 was just plain crazy. Watch this short video:

xD 

• Haha 1