talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

TF365 Quiz 4 - Premier League History

football forum

• Subscriber

Please make sure you have read the Guidelines and FAQ thread before taking part in the Quiz League - this will only take you two minutes.

Quiz League Round 4 - Premier League History

While this quiz is predominantly based on the "Premier League" which was formed in 1992-93, there are a few questions that cover the history of England's top flight, which goes back to the 1800s. It should be clear on each question which one you are being quizzed on, but if it is at all unclear, leave a post in this thread and I'll reply when I can clearing it up. For those of you that are worried about it being English-biased, don't be, as there are rounds planned for a similar quiz on the top leagues in at least Spain, Germany and Italy, possibly others.

Click Here to take the quiz!

Access Code: HXA7B

Round 4 Deadline: Tuesday 11th July 17:30 (UK Time)

Remember! Do not give away answers in this thread until they have been revealed after the deadline!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Saturdays Are For The Boys said:

All of those hours of staring and numbers may come in handy for this one, and lots of guessing.....

I'm just so upset that this moron is beating me. I used to know stuff when I followed football outside of Oz.Been about a decade now #excusesoutearly 

14 minutes ago, Anton said:

I'm just so upset that this moron is beating me. I used to know stuff when I followed football outside of Oz.Been about a decade now #excusesoutearly 

DAD THE AUSTRALIAN IS BEING MEAN TO ME

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Meh, worst quiz yet that one. Too many questions that you'd literally have no way of knowing the answer to.

I'm trying my best to pitch them right, if some are too hard or too easy well at least it's still fair as everyone's doing the same questions. 

Sounds like you need to do more studying :ph34r:.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I'm trying my best to pitch them right, if some are too hard or too easy well at least it's still fair as everyone's doing the same questions. 

Sounds like you need to do more studying :ph34r:.

tbh i feel like this last one is very numbers based more so than anything.

• Administrator

Some of those I thought for a while about and then ended up doing a lucky dip/total guess anyway xD 

Very tough. 

10 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Okay, I'll try and reassess how I put the next few together, feedback always appreciated 👍.

Keep it. Would rather have quizzes that are tough and challenging as well as some simpler rounds. Nothing wrong with variety :D 

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Nothing against Rando as it's a great competition but questions along the lines of ''How many goal kicks have been taken in the Premier League's history?'' are purely guess-work and I'd rather have challenging questions that have a reasonable answer (i.e. - Which player/team did this?) as opposed to such obscure ones.

That said, everyone seems to be complaining about this one so hopefully everyone's scores drop as a result to keep things consistent.

poor example from you as that's an easy question. 3962628621.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

@Dan it's saying you answered the first question yesterday but didn't finish it - you might need to have another go if you want to get a score on the board this round.

I've not even touched this one xD first time I've seen it.

• Subscriber
Just now, Cannabis said:

Aye, anyone getting near full marks needs to be investigated.

I'll agree or disagree with that based on my score.

• Subscriber

I'm guessing the following questions are the ones that people are calling impossible:

- How many clubs have spent at least one season in the Premier League?

- How many clubs have played in the top flight but not the Premier League?

- How many goalkeepers have kept over 100 clean sheets in the Premier League?

and possibly

- Which of the following clubs have spent over 60 seasons in the top flight?

The rest I'm looking at and thinking that most people should be able to make a decent educated guess at them. I'm aiming the quizzes to be sort of half dependent on knowledge and memory, and half dependent on having an educated guess. This one I can see is a bit imbalanced in that regard, so I apologise for that, just asking whether these are the problematic questions for future reference.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

I'm guessing the following questions are the ones that people are calling impossible:

- How many clubs have spent at least one season in the Premier League?

- How many clubs have played in the top flight but not the Premier League?

- How many goalkeepers have kept over 100 clean sheets in the Premier League?

and possibly

- Which of the following clubs have spent over 60 seasons in the top flight?

The rest I'm looking at and thinking that most people should be able to make a decent educated guess at them. I'm aiming the quizzes to be sort of half dependent on knowledge and memory, and half dependent on having an educated guess. This one I can see is a bit imbalanced in that regard, so I apologise for that, just asking whether these are the problematic questions for future reference.

3 in bold I 100% wildly guessed. Had no clue.

The clean sheet one was more of an educated guess than wild. 

• Subscriber

Just waiting on @Lucas, @Azeem98, @Viva la FCB, @LaSambadeStGermain and @Cicero (who I'll stop tagging if you don't have a go at this one because I assume you're not interested). In fact, if anyone wants me to stop tagging them in these just let me know.

About this time tomorrow before this one closes though it's staff training after school tomorrow so I might just be a bit late.

Up next will be a slightly tricky quiz based on La Liga, and a 21st century Bundesliga quiz :D.

I've just done it.

Yes it was hard, I have guessed a few, but I still thought the majority were gettable.

The goalkeeper one was easy. That question has come up a few times in various Sports quizzes. The 60 years one I have guessed purely because I picked what I thought was the oldest founded club. Not sure if that was good logic or not.

The Man Utd one could have been three out of four. Again, I have guessed purely because of how long the player was there for.

• Subscriber

It's that time again - here are the answers and results for this tricky quiz, the next one will be live in the next 30-45 minutes.

Quiz 4 Answers

1) How many clubs have stayed in the Premier League for every season since it began in 1992?

D – 6. Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Man Utd and Tottenham are the sides that have been in the Premier League since the 1992 re-brand of the top flight.

2) Which club has competed in the most seasons in the top flight of English football (including the pre-Premier League era)?

B – Everton. With a total of 115 seasons spent in the top flight, Everton have spent the most in the top flight, ahead of city rivals Liverpool (103) and Arsenal (101). Newcastle are further down the list on 87 seasons.

3) Which of the following clubs has contended over 60 seasons in the top flight in total?

D – West Brom. The Baggies have taken part in 81 seasons in the top flight, taking them comfortably over the target of 60. Burnley are close with 55, Leicester on 49 and Southampton on 41.

4) How many non-English players are in the top ten for the most goals scored in the Premier League since the 1992-93 season?

B – 1. Thierry Henry’s 175 Premier League goals put him comfortably inside the top ten in fifth place, behind Shearer, Rooney, Andy Cole and Lampard, and ahead of Fowler, Defoe, Owen, Les Ferdinand and Sheringham.

5) How many different clubs have spent at least one season in the Premier League since the first season in 1992-93?

B – 46-50. Exactly 47 clubs have spent at least one year in the top flight since the top flight was renamed the Premier League. This total will be boosted to 49 next season with Brighton and Huddersfield adding their names to the list.

6) Which of these clubs have been relegated from the Premier League exactly four times since the inaugural 1992-93 season?

A – Crystal Palace. Palace were founding members of the Premier League in 1992, but were relegated at the end of the first season. They bounced straight back up only to get relegated again in 1995, returned to the top flight for the 1997-98 season, and were relegated again. It took until 2004 for The Eagles to make it back to the Premier League, but once again they were immediately relegated again. Returning to the top flight in 2013, Palace finally got it right and have retained their Premier League status since. Nottingham Forest (1993, 1997 and 1999) and West Brom (2003, 2006 and 2009) have both been relegated three times, with Man City suffering twice in 1996 and 2001.

7) How many clubs have played in the top tier of English football, but NOT in the Premier League?

C – 16-20. This category is currently comprised of 16 teams. Four of these sides – Preston, Millwall, Brentford and Bristol City – will be looking to take themselves off it next season when they embark on their Championship campaigns.

8) How many goalkeepers have kept more than 100 clean sheets in the Premier League since 1992-93?

D – 14. Petr Cech, David James, Mark Schwarzer, David Seaman, Nigel Martyn, Pepe Reina, Edwin van der Sar, Tim Howard, Brad Friedel, Peter Schmeichel, Joe Hart, Shay Given, Thomas Sorensen and Jussi Jaaskelainen – ordered from most clean sheets to least – are the men to have achieved this feat.

9) Which goalkeeper has kept the most clean sheets in the Premier League since 1992-93?

D – Petr Cech. The Czech stopper tops this list comfortably with 190 clean sheets, ahead of David James (169), Mark Schwarzer (152) and David Seaman (142).

10) Which non-British or Irish player has won the most Premier League winners’ medals since 1992-93?

B – Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. The Norwegian profited from his time with Manchester United, as he played enough games to be part of six title-winning teams. Peter Schmeichel and Patrice Evra each have five medals, Cantona four.

Results

5964fd8d30365_Quiz4Results.thumb.png.738306230bf025c1a124dfec82bf4d36.png

Another strong performance from @Lucas on this one who ties with @Saturdays Are For The Boys with a top score of 8 out of 10. Well done fellas :congrats:.

Archived