talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chris Wilder Sacked by Middlesbrough

football forum

• Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63116336

Middlesbrough have sacked manager Chris Wilder, with the club 22nd in the Championship.

Boro have won only two of their 11 league games this season, with Wilder's last game being a 1-0 defeat at bottom club Coventry City on Saturday.

Wilder had only been in charge for 11 months after replacing Neil Warnock.

Goalkeeping coach Leo Percovich has been placed in temporary charge, along with coaches Craig Liddle, Lee Cattermole and Mark Tinkler.

Lasted less than a year. They were doing poorly to be fair. I expected him to do much better given his time at Sheff Utd. 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think with the personel that Middlesbrough currently have and the way they are set up to play, I wonder if Sean Dyche will get the call.

I could see that one working out for them. We all thought the foundation of Middlesbrough's success would be clean sheets but they have been incredibly leaky.

Scott Parker I guess is floating about but he wouldn't be the call I'd make.

As for Wilder, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he ends up at West Brom like he nearly did before. Bruce will be gone soon.

5 hours ago, Tar-Mairon said:

They're looking at Rob Edwards apparently.

It's weird, about three years ago, Wilder was being tipped for a top 8 Premier League job. His fall has happened very quickly. Perhaps he needs a break from the game.

In this instance his downfall seem to occur after he started wagging his tail at the Burnley owners once Dyche was sacked. He's never really got the fans behind since then and that's in spite of a big summer rebuild.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Michael Carrick: Middlesbrough name former Manchester United midfielder as boss

Championship strugglers Middlesbrough have appointed former Manchester United and England midfielder Michael Carrick as head coach.

The 41-year-old had been out of the game since leaving Old Trafford after a three-game stint as temporary boss after Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's dismissal.

Boro had been without a permanent manager since Chris Wilder was sacked, with Leo Percovich in interim charge.

Carrick's first game will be at Preston in the Championship on Saturday.

He had said it was not the right time for him to return to football but had a change of heart after a positive second round of talks.

It is also a return to the north-east of England for Carrick, having been born in Newcastle.

FULL REPORT

• 2 months later...

You can't fault Carrick's start at all.

Middlesbrough wete 22nd when he took over, they now lay in 5th.

They have taken 22pts from a possible 30 since he's been in charge.

He's changed the style of their play which has seen the likes of Chuba Akpom transformed and scoring goals and they now look more like the side many tipped before the season started.

With them and West Brom climbing the table so rapidly aftet sacking a manager, it goes to show why Norwich are now in the same boat looking for a similar response.

Archived