talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Professions you won't adopt

football forum

No not anything illegal but regular jobs that may even be very well paying but you won't ever do them cause you don't like the lifestyle that comes with it or you won't ever fit in. 

For me it's predatory jobs like lawyers, bankers where you have to be a bit 'unscrupulous' in practice to excel in your field. I would add corporate journalism in it too but it's 50/50.

I don't mind physical labour unless it's in shit places like top of skyscappers or deep down in mines. 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Politician, lawyer, banker are the big three for me that I always found repulsive. Another one is paparazzi or yellow press "journalist". 

I also despise most of traditional corporate jobs, but that's way too broad and too judgmental, as I am sure there are actually decent positions in decent companies. Just don't like it and don't fit in well in the whole traditional office culture. 

Anything that has a lot to do with bullshitting people. So telemarketing, life coaching, PR, many fields of consulting, etc. Then there's things like influencers, gurus and healers of all kinds, but I don't consider that a profession anyway, just straight out bullshit.

Then there are some professions that I have a lot of respect for, but would not be able to do it myself. Things like nursing, elderly care, disabled care. 

• Subscriber

One only really and that is a politician, they all are a bunch of money-grabbing pricks and lead people up the garden path, I would not know whether to class me as a leftist, rightist (whatever you call them) communist or what not so I would be no good.

I would end up touting for a 3-day working week with a max £100 an hour wage increase and make all other politicians have to live in a bedsit and sell their million-pound houses and expensive cars and donate them all to charity.........then run like the fuck when they all ganged up on me. 🤪

• Subscriber

Politicians or anything really with product promotion work. The fact that you have to peddle yourself as something you're clearly not just makes my skin crawl and tbh its pretty disgusting to me. In the same vein, I find it terribly amusing that paper which has zero worth until a country prints numbers and some other doodles on it has as much power as it does over someone to make them a chained monkey willing to do anything. 

Find the idea of being a salesman horrendous. I've spent years educating every one of our suppliers sales rep that I don't accept drop in visits, I'm too busy to be interrupted by someone trying to flog me anything.

Ring and arrange a time by all means but don't ever cold call me. I've actually been known to turn people away in our car park when I've been really busy.

What also annoys me about salesmen is there seems to be two types,  the type that were born to do the job and could tell you a breakdown of every item their company stocks or could source. This type will ring you two or three times to check if you were happy with the price of the item you lied about needing to get rid of them. Then there is the type who always has to check back with someone on products, never seems arsed if you want to see them or not and then don't bother ringing you back with a price when it's something you actually need! This type of sales rep ring you every three months telling you they'd been offered a new position they couldn't refuse selling the same product but usually at a shitter company.

Sadly I have to admit I prefer the shitter sales rep. They give me and my buyer less hassle.

Politicians, journalists and lawyers are 3 examples of jobs where most people in these fields are fine, but the top level, in the public eye are mostly scum. 

Most politicians you'd never have heard of or seen, don't sit in parliament and want real change, most lawyers are just minor issues advisers, and most journalists work for small publishers who have no base. 

I'd never say never. I have my price for everything. 

2 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Politicians, journalists and lawyers are 3 examples of jobs where most people in these fields are fine, but the top level, in the public eye are mostly scum. 

Most politicians you'd never have heard of or seen, don't sit in parliament and want real change, most lawyers are just minor issues advisers, and most journalists work for small publishers who have no base. 

I'd never say never. I have my price for everything. 

This also shows that these fields require you to be a cunt if you don't want to just remain stuck in one place.

There are other professions like bureaucracy that have a bad to neutral public image but you can progress in the field with a great degree of quixotism, might become disliked within your colleagues but thanks to all the red tapism in bureaucracy you can freely work without other cunts infringing in your line. 

Just now, Beelzebub said:

This also shows that these fields require you to be a cunt if you don't want to just remain stuck in one place.

There are other professions like bureaucracy that have a bad to neutral public image but you can progress in the field with a great degree of quixotism, might become disliked within your colleagues but thanks to all the red tapism in bureaucracy you can freely work without other cunts infringing in your line. 

Nah, I knew a girl worked 3 and a half days a week in law. She was a solicitor. Earned 85k for three and a half days work a week, including mostly working from home. She could have worked in lots of places, but was happy at that time just making the easy money. 

Sure, if you want to be a big swinging dick barrister, earning hundreds of grand a year and doing big cases, you've probably got to be a cunt, or suck some dick, become a partner and do lots of hours. But I'd class working a short week for a wage 30k higher than median as a type of success. 

17 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I worked in a nursing home for the elderly as part of my mandatory community service many years ago. One of the most depressing places I've ever been in. 

Mandatory community service? Sounds like you committed a crime young Thomas……

What do you reckon @Bluewolf?

2 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Mandatory community service? Sounds like you committed a crime young Thomas……

What do you reckon @Bluewolf?

Until a few years ago, it was mandatory. Either that, or military service. But I refused military service, and had to send in an explanation in writing. I told them how much I hate guns, and that I can't even watch the A-Team on TV because of the violence. xD

8 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Until a few years ago, it was mandatory. Either that, or military service. But I refused military service, and had to send in an explanation in writing. I told them how much I hate guns, and that I can't even watch the A-Team on TV because of the violence. xD

And yet you choose violence most days when quoting my posts. Disgraceful.

On 08/10/2022 at 02:26, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Nah, I knew a girl worked 3 and a half days a week in law. She was a solicitor. Earned 85k for three and a half days work a week, including mostly working from home. She could have worked in lots of places, but was happy at that time just making the easy money. 

Sure, if you want to be a big swinging dick barrister, earning hundreds of grand a year and doing big cases, you've probably got to be a cunt, or suck some dick, become a partner and do lots of hours. But I'd class working a short week for a wage 30k higher than median as a type of success. 

Pretty much this. As very green solicitor I work a bit more than a lot of people I know who have nominally 9-5 jobs, but the effort-reward ratio makes it well worth it. Sometimes I log-in half an hour early to get a head start, most days I work on an hour or so, and sometimes log-in later in the evening at home to finish something that's on my mind.

But mostly, I'd say I work about 45-50 hours a week on average, and I get paid more than a high school teacher, or an experienced nurse. People who actually are needed, and know what they're doing. And to emphasise, I don't work for a big, flashy prestigious firm that pays insanely well by legal-sector standards. I am very much in the middle of the field. And also to emphasise, I qualified a month ago and have basically no idea what I'm doing most of the time.

You have targets to hit, sometimes there can be a week here or there which is insanely pressurised, sometimes things are tricky and make your head hurt, and if you make a mistake it can be terrifying. But mostly, if you're willing to put in a moderate amount of effort you are guaranteed a pretty comfy living.

And if you are satisfied earning an above-average salary, you don't really need to devote your whole life to the job and get sucked into the office politics. But I guess that you get used to spending what comes in, or pride takes hold, and that's when people start going above and beyond to move up the ladder.

I couldn’t run a business that preys on the labour of others, and manipulates them into thinking they should be grateful for being able to sell their labour.

I could be a politician but I am aware that my sincerity is a weakness to be exploited.

Archived