• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Things that grind my gears - Fußball edition

football forum

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

That's because they want to sell internationally. I don't expect a non-German to know 1860, Duisburg, Waldhof, Essen, Halle, Zwickau, Ingolstadt, Dresden, and us are all former first tier clubs.

Aunt Edith: Aue as well.

I expect it and demand it! Also @Stan bans every new member who does not know Duisburg.

6 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

But the rule is the best 2 teams HAVE to have a 'rivalry'... for the revenue ya know? 

I think what defines a rivalry is more loose and nebulous than people admit. Under the dictionary definition of the word they are rivals, right? I think ‘enemy’ is more what people mean but they don’t want to say it in that manner. In that sense yes, Bayern and Dortmund aren't enemies as they have no particular animosity towards each-other, fans or club; and losing to each other doesn't send the fans into a meltdown seethe. You could say they were 'rivals' in the actual sense of the word as the two teams were trading trophies and were the main threat to each other's success.

Maybe not so much in Germany, I couldn’t tell you if the average Bundesliga fan says these sort of platitudes. I hate it whn fans go on about ‘history’, but what they are actually talking about is ‘past trophies’ As if they only barometer for a a club existing or even worth talking about is 5 cup wins in the 1920s. I’ve never really encountered this sort of thought process outside of soccerball.

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Maybe not so much in Germany, I couldn’t tell you if the average Bundesliga fan says these sort of platitudes. I hate it whn fans go on about ‘history’, but what they are actually talking about is ‘past trophies’ As if they only barometer for a a club existing or even worth talking about is 5 cup wins in the 1920s.

To be fair, banging about past glory is extremely helpful for your own feelings, if and when your club is  going through a rough period. It suggests the club you support was once much more signifikant than they're nowadays.

4 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

To be fair, banging about past glory is extremely helpful for your own feelings, if and when your club is  going through a rough period. It suggests the club you support was once much more signifikant than they're nowadays.

I understand that but I feel like it is more used as a weapon to dismiss the feelings of other fans.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I understand that but I feel like it is more used as a weapon to dismiss the feelings of other fans.

I agree to a certain degree, still defining your own group partly through demarcation from other groups is an integral part of human nature, in my honest opinion. Always was and ever will be.

2 hours ago, Faithcore said:

I expect it and demand it! Also @Stan bans every new member who does not know Duisburg.

Everyone who doesn`t know Duisburg (the city) is better off. :ph34r:

Just kidding. Parts of my family come from there. 😬

34 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Everyone who doesn`t know Duisburg (the city) is better off. :ph34r:

Just kidding. Parts of my family come from there. 😬

Just a had look at some pics, looks like it was an industrial town that had a population decline?

Archived