football forum

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys

As I mentioned in my introduction I recently ran a football forum website. We had a couple of sub forums labelled Football Classics and Talent Scout. The idea of those sub forums was to discuss classic games gone by over the years and discuss future talent who you think will go on and make an impact.

Here is a link from the archive website (https://web.archive.org/web/20170716225742/https://www.footyaddict.co.uk:80/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)

Feel free to browse our old site for any future ideas that may benefit the forum

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Redblood said:

Hi guys

As I mentioned in my introduction I recently ran a football forum website. We had a couple of sub forums labelled Football Classics and Talent Scout. The idea of those sub forums was to discuss classic games gone by over the years and discuss future talent who you think will go on and make an impact.

Here is a link from the archive website (https://web.archive.org/web/20170716225742/https://www.footyaddict.co.uk:80/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)

Feel free to browse our old site for any future ideas that may benefit the forum

Cheers. We do have an 'On This Day' Thread which was started by @Cannabis and we also have 'Brian's Scouting Thread' run by @Blue.

You're more than welcome to set up a 'Football Classics' thread in the General Football section. We have a very diverse set of fans here both young and old so I'm sure there's plenty of memories to look back on of our favourite matches or notable games etc.

Do you reckon any of the members on that forum would fancy following in your footsteps and coming here, too?

Just now, Stan said:

Cheers. We do have an 'On This Day' Thread which was started by @Cannabis and we also have 'Brian's Scouting Thread' run by @Blue.

You're more than welcome to set up a 'Football Classics' thread in the General Football section. We have a very diverse set of fans here both young and old so I'm sure there's plenty of memories to look back on of our favourite matches or notable games etc.

Do you reckon any of the members on that forum would fancy following in your footsteps and coming here, too?

Carravetta is already here, I can email old members of the site to let them now we now post here if that helps

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Redblood said:

Carravetta is already here, I can email old members of the site to let them now we now post here if that helps

would be good! We're just over a year old after the old site (Totalfootballforums) kind of went dead. A lot of the members from TFF came here so the more members we have the merrier. :D 

Just now, Stan said:

would be good! We're just over a year old after the old site (Totalfootballforums) kind of went dead. A lot of the members from TFF came here so the more members we have the merrier. :D 

I remember TFF as I was also a member there

I like the look of the place and the work that has gone into it

I will also mention this on social media as I am following accounts on Facebook and Twitter

• 1 month later...

An end of season clean up.

Just looking through the Scottish section, you can see a topic about Tom Rogic linked with a move to the EPL, and another one about him signing a new contract.

Also a look at how best to arrange topics around transfer over the summer. Instead of a new topic for each individual link with a club or move, it would probably be best-having club transfer topics for the bigger clubs in Scotland (Celtic, Aberdeen, Rangers, Hibs and Hearts and then an overall one). Would look more appealing to anyone just browsing having fewer but more active topics than an endless stream of topics with barely any replies.

I'm merely talking about the Scottish section as the others are busy enough to sustain this.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Just looking through the Scottish section, you can see a topic about Tom Rogic linked with a move to the EPL, and another one about him signing a new contract.

Also a look at how best to arrange topics around transfer over the summer. Instead of a new topic for each individual link with a club or move, it would probably be best-having club transfer topics for the bigger clubs in Scotland (Celtic, Aberdeen, Rangers, Hibs and Hearts and then an overall one). Would look more appealing to anyone just browsing having fewer but more active topics than an endless stream of topics with barely any replies.

I'm merely talking about the Scottish section as the others are busy enough to sustain this.

probably something we could incorporate and then when the deal is confirmed it gets its own thread.

6 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

The more threads help us with our Google raiting. We've merged threads before and it's hit us hard.

The names at the start of each thread help us with this too.

3 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Yeah, I prefer everything neat and tidy with thread merged rather than all over the show but it hits out SEO rating hard. 

@Rab analysed the data and found it was better to have new threads than merged ones.

It just seems odd that we end up with 3/4 topics about the next Italy manager all over the place, and then a 41-page thread on just everything to do with Barcelona.

It's hard to have a good discussion with opinions on the same subject in many differing places. A better discussion will naturally lead to more traffic and more topics being creating. I see the balancing act that needs to be held, but it shouldn't come in front of the quality of discussion. There's a reason I'd rather read a @SirBalon essay on here than troll through Social media. That's the selling point. A forum's major advantage over social media is the organisation of a discussion and we can't lose that.

2 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

It just seems odd that we end up with 3/4 topics about the next Italy manager all over the place, and then a 41-page thread on just everything to do with Barcelona.

It's hard to have a good discussion with opinions on the same subject in many differing places. A better discussion will naturally lead to more traffic and more topics being creating. I see the balancing act that needs to be held, but it shouldn't come in front of the quality of discussion. There's a reason I'd rather read a @SirBalon essay on here than troll through Social media. That's the selling point. A forum's major advantage over social media is the organisation of a discussion and we can't lose that.

Im not going anywhere near breaking up that Spanish forum. That's Balon's baby. Not worth the heat.

I agree its a balancing act. We've tried to hit that in the new transfer rumours section by having one thread per player. What we found in January was we would have four seperate discussions in the same thread, and people mentioning something in another thread that was being discussed elsewhere as that discussion wasn't being sign posted.

As touched upon though, Rabs given us an insight in regards to how to improve our SEO raiting as it's not where we would like it to be. Merging threads, renaming threads etc all effect that. Even the way a thread is named plays a role. So we're trying to focus on that to attract new members.

8 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

I’m with you to a certain extent mate in that things should be kept as clean as possible because otherwise it looks chaotic in my view.

But the other side of the coin also makes sense in terms of certain low key pieces of football news (those articles that don’t make the world’s press) going missing in terms of possible activity. It’s a hard one to manage and even more difficult to make the correct decision on. So the directive is to give news threads their own protagonism and see if that spurs all fans to have their own opinion.

I’ve posted many articles in the relative club threads in the Spanish sub forum many times only to see hours later a dedicated thread open up in the subforum because nobody had noticed it where I believe it belongs. It almost beggars the question as to the necessity of individual club threads which in my personal opinion are paramount.

As for essay type threads... Gonzo is the new king of this and top quality too. xD

In an ideal world we would have everything neatly archived once discussion becomes irrelevant. However in our first year(s) of being an active forum we are being judged heavily on content which we are playing catch up with elsewhere.

There are examples where we can improve, the Tom Rogic is a prime one. Its a balance act to take in to consideration which will no doubt improve over time.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

In an ideal world we would have everything neatly archived once discussion becomes irrelevant. However in our first year(s) of being an active forum we are being judged heavily on content which we are playing catch up with elsewhere.

There are examples where we can improve, the Tom Rogic is a prime one. Its a balance act to take in to consideration which will no doubt improve over time.

gotta be careful of this in future though if anything does get archived.

We shouldn't merge old threads because that affects our rating with Google. Several matchday threads were merged and our rating went down. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

gotta be careful of this in future though if anything does get archived.

We shouldn't merge old threads because that affects our rating with Google. Several matchday threads were merged and our rating went down. 

Yes. Fully aware. Hence my points regarding the SEO Raiting and our previous archiving.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived