talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wishlist

football forum

The 'edited' line has never bothered me. Using your words @Storts, it's an internet forum so who cares what people think or speculate about your original post? The prediction leagues in the Bundesliga and MLS are NOT locked when the first game starts, therefore it's vital for us to see if someone did in fact edit something, and when that editing took place.

Sorry man, but I don't see the issue with it, nor do I think it has anything to do with trust.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
6 minutes ago, ATL said:

The 'edited' line has never bothered me. Using your words @Storts, it's an internet forum so who cares what people think or speculate about your original post? The prediction leagues in the Bundesliga and MLS are NOT locked when the first game starts, therefore it's vital for us to see if someone did in fact edit something, and when that editing took place.

Sorry man, but I don't see the issue with it, nor do I think it has anything to do with trust.

Well it does, why don't you trust people not to edit it? I wouldn't even consider any of the members of this forum to do such a thing.

Just now, Storts said:

Well it does, why don't you trust people not to edit it? I wouldn't even consider any of the members of this forum to do such a thing.

It's just a checks and balance. Do I think you'd change a prediction? No, but why pick and choose between trusting you and a new member, and instead just have some kind of notification when someone changes a post? Again, I don't think it's a trust issue.

Let's say you are having a debate, and you try to quote some stupid another member has said, but they go back and edit (or at least you think because you actually don't know),. I think situations such as these, it's pretty easy to see how having the EDITED line is beneficial.

Well I agree with Storts. Maybe change the colour of the message to white so only highlighting it shows the message?

Although the flexibility of editing on here is great maybe imposing a restriction of a day would be a good idea... At the end of the day editing your post doesn't do any harm if no one has seen it and if they change it after there's been a response it'll just be obvious anyway. At the end of the day if people are going to pick apart minors edits such as spelling they're just being pedantic twats.

2 minutes ago, Cure said:

Well I agree with Storts to an extent. Maybe change the colour of the message to white so only highlighting it shows the message.

Although the flexibility of editing on here is great maybe imposing a restriction of a day would be a good idea...

At the end of the day editing your post doesn't do any harm if no one has seen it and if they change it after there's been a response it'll just be obvious anyway. At the end of the day if people are going to pick apart minors edits such as spelling they're just being pedantic twats.

I do agree with @Storts that certain edits done within a few minutes should go unnoticed. Edits done days later I'm fine with it saying on under the post.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, ATL said:

It's just a checks and balance. Do I think you'd change a prediction? No, but why pick and choose between trusting you and a new member, and instead just have some kind of notification when someone changes a post? Again, I don't think it's a trust issue.

Let's say you are having a debate, and you try to quote some stupid another member has said, but they go back and edit (or at least you think because you actually don't know),. I think situations such as these, it's pretty easy to see how having the EDITED line is beneficial.

Because checks and balances has worked so well in the States... - Why not just lock the threads then, simplest method, considering Prediction Leagues are a tiny part of the forum, whereas the edit button is across the board.

Well if you are quoting then what they said is copied and remains anyway - even if they change it then it doesn't make a difference. And if months down the line they are so bothered as they want to remove what they said then so be it, who cares. I don't see it as being beneficial, just an annoyance and a nuisance.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

I don't run the BL prediction league.

Why lock the topics though? Don't you trust the members on this forum? :ph34r:

:P

Well I would do neither as I don't see it as an issue, but locking is the easiest way round it if necessary without having to impact on the rest of the forum

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, ATL said:

I could say the same for you. Easy solution would be to just ignore the EDITED and get on with your life. Easy solution.

But I shouldn't have to. I shouldn't need to have every post I choose to edit be displayed to everyone. We never had to previously so not sure why we have to now.

3 minutes ago, Storts said:

Because checks and balances has worked so well in the States... - Why not just lock the threads then, simplest method, considering Prediction Leagues are a tiny part of the forum, whereas the edit button is across the board.

Well if you are quoting then what they said is copied and remains anyway - even if they change it then it doesn't make a difference. And if months down the line they are so bothered as they want to remove what they said then so be it, who cares. I don't see it as being beneficial, just an annoyance and a nuisance.

Checks & Balances has worked for the majority of my Country, and I could argue with you for days I'm sure and depending on your thoughts and feelings, we likely would never agree.

I would only caution to not make this a personal vendetta, this isn't to stop Storts from doing this or that, this is just a feature of a free forum where we all try to come together, have fun, talk about soccer (football). This place is a blast and so try and not distort a really stupid minor thing like an EDIT line, to take away to enjoyment you actually get from this place.

Just now, Storts said:

But I shouldn't have to. I shouldn't need to have every post I choose to edit be displayed to everyone. We never had to previously so not sure why we have to now.

We did on TFF did we not?

2 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Along side "Member of the Month" we will be running "Abortion of the Month" where we all vote for the worst member, the forfeit for the winner/loser is that they have to change their "team support" logo to the abomination that is Juventus'.

Sounds fair?

I was going to change it to that abortion regardless for the shits n' giggs.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Cannabis said:

I hadn't really thought about the Prediction leagues, seeing if someone has edited their scores is essential for the game running without foul play.

It's also essential as Rab pointed out in case a post has been changed for personal gain (I.e - in the middle of a flaming argument).

I really don't know why we have to change this if I'm being honest, it didn't bother me when I was just a member and it doesn't bother me now. It's a tiny bit of text above a post, hardly a technical issue like we had on TFF that really affected the place.

Hahaha what? What is this so called personal gain?! xD People can edit their posts as they wish, and shouldn't have to advertise that fact.

Clearly it does bother me however, and several others. I don't see why we can't just have the option to remove it. It makes me far less likely to want to post here.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

So in effect you're not going to post as much because there may be an ''Storts edited this'' message above your post? C'mon mate think about what you're saying xD. It's hardly something to lose two pages of posts over and without sounding out of order it's up to the administrators how they run this forum, the ''wishlist'' is exactly what is says on the tin - somewhere to ask for ideas and see if they are agreed with. There's no given right for all of the questions in this thread to be answered and the requests acted upon, if the administrators changed everything that people asked for this forum would change dramatically day after day. 

That's correct yes, and likely to the be the case. A forum is nothing without its member, surely the example of TFF is evidence of that. So that point that admins can do as they wish is completely moot. That final point is also nonsense, this is the start of a new forum, one I assume we are trying to make the best around and to avoid previous mistakes. I'm sure a few weeks down the line this thread won't even be necessary as things have settled down big as it is I feel very strongly about this issue, and the gestapo like tendencies that monitoring all edited posts portrays.

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Along side "Member of the Month" we will be running "Abortion of the Month" where we all vote for the worst member, the forfeit for the winner/loser is that they have to change their "team support" logo to the abomination that is Juventus'.

Sounds fair?

Could do Newell's Old Boys. Would sum up some people perfectly. :coffee:

4 minutes ago, Storts said:

That's correct yes, and likely to the be the case. A forum is nothing without its member, surely the example of TFF is evidence of that. So that point that admins can do as they wish is completely moot. That final point is also nonsense, this is the start of a new forum, one I assume we are trying to make the best around and to avoid previous mistakes. I'm sure a few weeks down the line this thread won't even be necessary as things have settled down big as it is I feel very strongly about this issue, and the gestapo like tendencies that monitoring all edited posts portrays.

This was the same as it was at TFF...I'm not sure why you are so hung up on this. It's such a minuscule issue that regardless of the outcome, calling the admins as to having 'gestapo like tendencies' means you either have no idea what Gestapo really was, or you are highly frustrated about something else and putting all the frustration into a minor detail on a FREE FORUM.

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Sounds fair?

Even better. Deportivo Wanka. Based in Peru. I wonder why Brian didn't support them.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Bang on mate, I said it myself when TFF was dying and I agree with you 100% however not accepting to change the edit function is not ignoring the members we have or disrespecting them it's just that we don't feel the change is necessary. What if someone complained that they wanted the forum's colour scheme to be red and didn't want to post unless it was changed? We're all one community here and with respect it's not strictly down to one person to demand changes, I understand that you want to change the edit function but personally I just don't see any benefit for doing so, the reasons for this were highlighted earlier and are perfectly valid.

TFF didn't die because of the edit button, it died because the owner didn't pay any attention to the glaring technical issues on the forum and banned long-serving members without them doing anything wrong. Nobody left TFF because of the edit function and I can't believe anyone would do so on here either.

Nobody has given a valid reason for not allowing members the option to remove that line from edited posts. Just nonsense about personal gain and the one valid example of prediction leagues is easily fixed as it such a small percentage of forum posts, by locking topics.

Just because I have taken this up doesn't mean others haven't agreed. It's so unnecessary to have it there. I, like Spike, constantly need to edit a post after making it because I go quickly and don't read it back before posting. It's stupid that it has to show up. 

Well maybe that's where you are wrong. I wish you all the best with the forum. 

21 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Bang on mate, I said it myself when TFF was dying and I agree with you 100% however not accepting to change the edit function is not ignoring the members we have or disrespecting them it's just that we don't feel the change is necessary. What if someone complained that they wanted the forum's colour scheme to be red and didn't want to post unless it was changed? We're all one community here and with respect it's not strictly down to one person to demand changes, I understand that you want to change the edit function but personally I just don't see any benefit for doing so, the reasons for this were highlighted earlier and are perfectly valid.

TFF didn't die because of the edit button, it died because the owner didn't pay any attention to the glaring technical issues on the forum and banned long-serving members without them doing anything wrong. Nobody left TFF because of the edit function and I can't believe anyone would do so on here either.

Who? o.O

13 minutes ago, Storts said:

Nobody has given a valid reason for not allowing members the option to remove that line from edited posts. Just nonsense about personal gain and the one valid example of prediction leagues is easily fixed as it such a small percentage of forum posts, by locking topics.

Just because I have taken this up doesn't mean others haven't agreed. It's so unnecessary to have it there. I, like Spike, constantly need to edit a post after making it because I go quickly and don't read it back before posting. It's stupid that it has to show up. 

Well maybe that's where you are wrong. I wish you all the best with the forum. 

Happens to me all the time too, be it for typos or because i forget something and want to add it to the post i find myself editing about 50% of my posts, so i think at least a time frame of say 5 mins after making your post should be put in place where the "Edited" message doesn't appear as that's where most edits are made and 95% are for the reasons i gave.

Archived