talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Steven Gerrard Sacked by Aston Villa; Unai Emery to Take Over

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

I've got no sympathy for him tbh, as he won us the Scottish League Title with Rangers and stopped Celtic from getting 9 in a row which any Glasgow Rangers supporter will be thankful for but the way he just jumped ship and scarpered off to Villa, money speaks millions too him.

I have said all along that he should have stayed with us and gotten a bit more experienced in the management side of things but I think he thought he was the Bees Knees after winning the title up here and he would do the same with Villa.

But he found out the EPL is a lot tougher than Scottish football plus he had ambitions of managing Liverpool one day but now that has been shot down in flames, Graeme Souness managed us up here but won a lot more trophies than Gerrard did and then Liverpool came calling and he left.

In all, Souness gained experience in management and won more than a Scottish League Title, Stevie my old son you will never be a Souness now, maybe if you had stayed at the Gers a bit longer and won a few more trophies up here, things would have been different. :coffee:

Souness didn't gain that much experience in Scotland tbh. His time as Liverpool manager really sort of took a shine off his stature as a LFC legend, a bit, tbh. Like his actions as a player will always make him a legend - but as our manager he ripped apart a very good side and brought in a ton of shite. At least he had the good nature to step down when it was clear he'd failed the club.

I'm not sure how much experience he'd really gain in Scotland. Celtic and Rangers are miles above the rest of the league in terms of quality players and the ability to sign quality players. I think that just sets him up to only be a flat track bully. Unfortunately, the Scottish league is really not what it once used to be.

I think his best bet to become more well rounded is going to a championship club or going abroad (and probably not to a top flight division). But I'm not sure being great at a club that's expected to be great and doesn't have much competition would really have been the best thing for his development.

And tbh, I sort of don't want Gerrard to be our manager ever just because if he does fail... like Souness did... it will be shit to see him struggle with us and eventually get sacked or resign. And I've seen younger dickhead Barca fans on the internet give Xavi loads of shit - despite being a club legend. Wouldn't really like to see younger LFC fans be similarly disrespectful to a legend.

6 hours ago, Stan said:

Spent a fair bit in summer as well. Diego Carlos's knee got fucked and that was £27m down the drain. Not Gerrard's fault of course, but definitely didn't help. If I remember correctly, they looked okay when Mings got dropped - he's been a liability for them recently but not sure who else he could have called upon.

Perhaps @Reluctant Striker can offer more insight, but selling the wingers and going very CM-heavy hasn't helped either. 

I think there's a lot of mixed feelings around Mings. He was stripped of the captaincy & left out opening day. In favour of Konsa (English but not an England squad member) & Carlos (the Mings upgrade) After a 2 nil loss at Bournemouth he was paired up with Carlos for Everton at Villa Park. A 2-1 win for Villa. Chambers was 4th choice & we now have Bednarek on loan too.

Mings has increasingly had a mistake in him. But he's been a big part of Villa's journey from mid table Championship to 11th in the covid Premier League season. I sense some are still loyal toward him. And that's just among the fans.

A portion of the crowd cheered when McGinn was taken off vs Man City. Like the way a ref is cheered for finally giving a decision your way. Almost none of what Gerrard had to say about it all sounded like he was thinking of things in terms of a club that clearly isn't all about winning the league (for the time being..) And maybe that's the biggest problem Gerrard had at Villa. McGinn doesn't get the same stick & instant goal giveaways, but can often have bad games for Villa. And I'm sure many fans were seeing all of this.

To my mind, I'd have bigged up Mings & Carlos as a new elite pair of centre backs. Played Douglas Luiz & Kamara as a new midfield engine room. Offering the defence better protection. Again, rather than Kamara in as the new Luiz upgrade. With McGinn in his more unrestrained Scotland type role, or Ramsey, as the 1 very much encouraged to get forward supporting a front 3.

It may not have worked any better, but I would have been doing a lot of things very differently than what has been going on. Like making the whole squad feel like everyone was getting an upgrade, not being upgraded. Including keeping a discernible sense to the squad content, as a priority over if a name was fashionable, or whatever. It's that sort of thing many of our real rivals are doing very, very well.

19 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Is it fucked up I want to see Dyche as Villa manager so we can see what Brexit ball can do when it's got some financial muscle behind it?

It probably will be quite interesting whoever it is. I can't say I have a name I especially want of the leading names being suggested.

It could be someone used to being toward the top, or someone used to far less financial backing.

Gerrard should go to a Championship side. He probably wouldn't fancy an instant splash at it but he could do a lot worse than a Middlesbrough or West Brom and at both clubs he'd be inheriting decent squads he could do something with.

I think he's fucked another Premier League gig for a while though and this notion of him taking over Klopp when he moves on looks a mile away at this current moment in time. I know the fans love him but equally, there is no room for sentiment.

15 hours ago, Lucas said:

Gerrard should go to a Championship side. He probably wouldn't fancy an instant splash at it but he could do a lot worse than a Middlesbrough or West Brom and at both clubs he'd be inheriting decent squads he could do something with.

I think he's fucked another Premier League gig for a while though and this notion of him taking over Klopp when he moves on looks a mile away at this current moment in time. I know the fans love him but equally, there is no room for sentiment.

Both those clubs have got new managers arranged now but yeah I agree he may need to step down a level.  Not sure if he won't get a new job in the premier League though. A lot of clubs go for big name managers even if there is nothing to suggest they will be successful.  There is potentially the England job depending on how we do at the world cup. Don't think he should get it mind but that doesn't mean he won't 

I don't tend to dwell on the gossip, as there is usually lots of nonsense to find. Like Thomas Frank. Or QPRs Michael Beale. But so far, lots of reports both Poch & Tuchel don't fancy it & are waiting for a top end side somewhere. I don't think I'd want the Villa job if I were them. Unai Emery a name appearing lots. But the favourite last I looked is Sporting Lisbons Ruben Amorim. While Andre Villas Boas supposedly very keen.

So Dyche it is I guess.. I could imagine him, Steve Bruce & guys like them would be eager for a chance at a club with some reasonable backing. And to be honest, I think I'd rather give someone eager a chance, than the club pay eye watering money for some big time dandy a little too used to his grapes being peeled.

43 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

I don't tend to dwell on the gossip, as there is usually lots of nonsense to find. Like Thomas Frank. Or QPRs Michael Beale. But so far, lots of reports both Poch & Tuchel don't fancy it & are waiting for a top end side somewhere. I don't think I'd want the Villa job if I were them. Unai Emery a name appearing lots. But the favourite last I looked is Sporting Lisbons Ruben Amorim. While Andre Villas Boas supposedly very keen.

So Dyche it is I guess.. I could imagine him, Steve Bruce & guys like them would be eager for a chance at a club with some reasonable backing. And to be honest, I think I'd rather give someone eager a chance, than the club pay eye watering money for some big time dandy a little too used to his grapes being peeled.

Hasn't that guy from Lisbon bean linked with every premier League club?  I'd like to see what Dyche could do at a club like villa with more financial backing.  If Villa improved would he be popular despite the shite football?

11 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Hasn't that guy from Lisbon bean linked with every premier League club?  I'd like to see what Dyche could do at a club like villa with more financial backing.  If Villa improved would he be popular despite the shite football?

I'm not sure he'd be instantly celebrated with excitement. But I'm not sure there is a Villa style of play. Over many years they generally have tried to play nice football. Never been a dirty side. But often have played with a big man up front. Dion Dublin, John Carew, Christian Benteke jump to mind over the last 2 decades or so. They have nearly always been a pacy counter attack side. I think the masses tend to look for the apparent effort of the team & a sense that whoever the manager is knows what he's doing. Among the more fickle, a Dyche or someone of that type would likely have to earn more gradual respect than someone with a supposed magic wand.

15 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Emery took Almería to the the first division of Spanish football and had them finishing 8th in the top flight.

He had Valencia finishing 3rd every season during a period where Barcelona and Real were ridiculously strong and finishing 3rd for anyone else was pretty much a maximum.

He took Sevilla to 3 Europa League finals in a row, winning all 3.

Now he's doing well at Villarreal and won their first major trophy while taking them to the semis of the Champs league.

But then, on the other than he didn't have his greatest of times out in Moscow, when managing PSG, despite winning the league with them, or at Arsenal, albiet getting them to a final. Due to this, I'm not sure he'd be the right option for Villa. He seems to be perfect for Spanish football, but not necessarily anywhere else. With this said, I don't think he'd be willing to make the switch either way as he seems very content at Villarreal.

On 21/10/2022 at 16:09, OrangeKhrush said:

The mandatory Newcastle dig,  forgive us for spending money better than Villa and leeds did.    

Villa and Leeds have spent enough to be  top half teams that aren't looking over their shoulder. Simple as that.

24 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Villa and Leeds have spent enough to be  top half teams that aren't looking over their shoulder. Simple as that.

true,  the premier league spent money though,  it is by far the most depth,  I would say bar wolves who simply cant score goals even a team like Nottingham would be top 5 or 6 in spain. 

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

even a team like Nottingham would be top 5 or 6 in spain.

Not a chance xD 

Real Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla, Real Betis, Villarreal, Atletico Madrid, Athletic Bilbao, Real Sociedad, Valencia.

Are you telling me that Forest are better than at least 4 of those teams?

Good players can only get you so far. It's team psychology, character and pattern of play that go beyond that.

Many teams in this league get caught in a cycle of dependence on individuals and signings over the latter. It's essentially what the likes of Manchester United have been for years. Unable to be relegated due to spend, unable to be successful because of shortfalls in character and management.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Not a chance xD 

Real Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla, Real Betis, Villarreal, Atletico Madrid, Athletic Bilbao, Real Sociedad, Valencia.

Are you telling me that Forest are better than at least 4 of those teams?

They are at least as inconsistent as some

1 hour ago, Honey Honey said:

Good players can only get you so far. It's team psychology, character and pattern of play that go beyond that.

Many teams in this league get caught in a cycle of dependence on individuals and signings over the latter. It's essentially what the likes of Manchester United have been for years. Unable to be relegated due to spend, unable to be successful because of shortfalls in character and management.

good work rate and attitude to defense is key.   it's a bit like mighty ducks 3 when that coach tells them good defense let's you attack the game, when you don't have control.   

9 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

Certainly feels true for Villa. But then the numbers add up a bit odd.

They didn't spend huge amounts the last few windows & they've not gone over the £20-£30m region per player. But the starting 11 vs Brentford cost around £200m. And there was the money ultimately wasted on Wesley & Samatta. Add in Digne & Targett prices. A few wingers that have been & gone. This is season 4 back.. and they must be £300m+. Less Grealish, takes it back to £200m+. Which averages as £50m or so per season.

I'm not sure how much Villa can keep spending, but even Man City have some low 'net spends' now & then. And Gerrard's biggest gripe would be that he only got to sign Coutinho, Dendonker, Chambers, Digne, Olsen & loan Bednarek. 

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Do not understand Unai Emery. His Arsenal team was devoid of any form of footballing nous, no footballing identity, crumbled into pieces and yet his Villarreal side have turned into prime Barcelona 

It’s Arsenal they were transitioning post Wenger as United were post Fergie always going to be a hiding time nothing

• The title was changed to Steven Gerrard Sacked by Aston Villa; Unai Emery to Take Over

Archived