Other PL Round 13 Fixtures - 22-24th October, 2022

football forum

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Stan said:

Jeez Villa, how much was Gerrard holding them back xD

Tielemans goal :o

Strangely it was perhaps being too middling in the middle. Favouring the most middling type players. Perhaps. And almost certainly creating an atmosphere out of nowhere by getting disproportionately brutal on one individual. Like the press/fans rather than a good man-manager.

If anyone else (other than me) didn't really have much idea, Aaron Danks has apparently been at Villa since Dean Smith's time. So not a Team Gerrard guy. And today's team selection perfectly addressed my own thoughts & feelings. And very promising that the players seem to have reacted so positively.

That line up, with just slightly different players, was what I expected from 1st match of the season. We've just got it 12th game in. Like Gerrard couldn't or wouldn't see it. For whatever number of reasons.

But it's only one match. Who knows what the next manager may decide to do & get fixated about. But goodness me, that feels like the largest spot ever finally developed a head & properly squirted today.

• Subscriber

We're on our way to the most baffling season of all time. We're 12 games in. After 7 games we had the record of the most goals conceded after 7 games in over 50 years. 12 games in we have the second most clean sheets in the division!

It's a great win. We've caught them on a very good day but I think a bit of confidence and organisation can go a long way. Nobody had a bad game for me. They just all seem far more confident. I think Faes has had a huge impact at the back there with Amartey and Ward, two players who've struggled a lot also looking much improved as well.

It was a little bit of a freak, our finishing was astonishingly effective, but we played well and this month alone it looks like we're finding teams in a much more dire state. But I maintained throughout all of this our squad was capable. Lets pull away a bit before the World Cup (though next week is very hard) and forget this relegation flirt ever happened, because there's no way it should've happened.

• Administrator
Just now, Dan said:

It's a great win. We've caught them on a very good day but I think a bit of confidence and organisation can go a long way. Nobody had a bad game for me. They just all seem far more confident. I think Faes has had a huge impact at the back there with Amartey and Ward, two players who've struggled a lot also looking much improved as well.

Faes has had a big say in how competent we look in defence. He looks bang in form. Huge test coming up on Saturday up against Haaland. I suspect Man City will target Amartey, though...

There were spells today we looked bad - couldn't keep the ball and invited pressure on us in doing so. But then that pressure was contained by adequate defending and Ward having his best game - comfortable saves and commanding by claiming crosses.

I almost don't want Evans to come straight back in; same for Ndidi. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Faes has had a big say in how competent we look in defence. He looks bang in form. Huge test coming up on Saturday up against Haaland. I suspect Man City will target Amartey, though...

There were spells today we looked bad - couldn't keep the ball and invited pressure on us in doing so. But then that pressure was contained by adequate defending and Ward having his best game - comfortable saves and commanding by claiming crosses.

I almost don't want Evans to come straight back in; same for Ndidi. 

Faes has been genuinely excellent bar the Bournemouth game, even Spurs I didn't really think he was the problem despite the goals conceded. I don't quite know what it is and I can't put my finger on it but we actually look relatively organised all of a sudden. Ward was pretty good again as well.

I'm the same about Evans/Ndidi - it wasn't working with them. That's not to write them out of it and I still think in the long run we need better than Amartey/Ward (nor am I sold on Soumare) but that Faes signing is the kind of signing the gives me some hope in us again going forward. We lacked a proper organiser there and he is one. I mean there's a reason he seems to take the captaincy virtually everywhere he goes.

Was never in doubt that we had the quality going forward. Only five sides have outscored us, which is pretty mental. We've score more goals at Molineux than Wolves xD

We are fucked. Absolutely fucked.

Confidence is rock bottom. Fans have turned on the manager and the board. Players look shot to shreds. We've totally lost the unity we had built as a club the last five years. Right now, I think we're in need of a miracle. There's very little to remain positive about.

Liverpool away next Saturday night for their backlash. Marvellous. We're getting destroyed.

Feel a bit for Marsch but he's not the guy and he has to go instantly. This is not the gig for him.

No idea where we go from here anymore and incredibly disillusioned to tell you the truth that I put my Bournemouth home tickets up on the resale site purely in anger when Fulham's third went in.

Disgusted.

7 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Villa's matches before World Cup break: Newcastle (a) Man United (h) League Cup Man United (a) & Brighton (a)

Final 2 matches of December, after World Cup: Liverpool (h) & Tottenham (a)

Today may count for little if a few bad losses & brave little underdog efforts.

What we have learnt is that nobody should be taken for granted.   We will need to be doing more of the same when Villa come up to SJP. 

• The topic was unpinned
20 hours ago, Lucas said:

We are fucked. Absolutely fucked.

Confidence is rock bottom. Fans have turned on the manager and the board. Players look shot to shreds. We've totally lost the unity we had built as a club the last five years. Right now, I think we're in need of a miracle. There's very little to remain positive about.

Liverpool away next Saturday night for their backlash. Marvellous. We're getting destroyed.

Feel a bit for Marsch but he's not the guy and he has to go instantly. This is not the gig for him.

No idea where we go from here anymore and incredibly disillusioned to tell you the truth that I put my Bournemouth home tickets up on the resale site purely in anger when Fulham's third went in.

Disgusted.

You’ll beat us Saturday night. Forest needed a win, we were nice enough to gift them one. 

4 hours ago, Rick said:

You’ll beat us Saturday night. Forest needed a win, we were nice enough to gift them one. 

We don't shithouse wins unfortunately or have the defensive resolve to keep a clean sheet.

Plus, there is no way on this earth we are lucky enough for Van Dijk to miss a gazillion headers at goal.

You'll be stronger too. Trent will start, Thiago will be fit and Darwin. We are getting thumped I promise.

Archived