talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tottenham 1-2 Newcastle - Sunday 23rd October, 2022

football forum

7 hours ago, Cicero said:

I'm referring to your point. 

For weeks you have been saying "Yeah we won but I am getting a bit worried about our performance". I'm saying I agree with you. Getting a string of good results isn't sustainable if the football isn't up to scratch. Only a matter of time until it comes to bite you. 

You've won the champions league twice doing exactly that. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
55 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

But note you've specifically said Champions League rather than league. Smaller sample size, less games and therefore tournament upsets are far likelier.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

But note you've specifically said Champions League rather than league. Smaller sample size, less games and therefore tournament upsets are far likelier.

They aren’t likelier at all. Upsets happen all the time in a league format but since that format isn’t sudden death, the upsets balance themselves out over a season. It is just the nature of tournaments  being sudden death that make it more noticeable. 

14 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

And subsequently, in 2013 we got knocked out of the CL group stage by Shakthar and in 2022 Jorginho finished as our 3rd highest goal scorer. 

• Subscriber
16 hours ago, Spike said:

They aren’t likelier at all. Upsets happen all the time in a league format but since that format isn’t sudden death, the upsets balance themselves out over a season. It is just the nature of tournaments  being sudden death that make it more noticeable. 

In one off games yes they're just as likely but I'm talking overall winners of competitions, I think you're a lot more likely to get an upset winner in a tournament by virtue of fewer games, no?

2 hours ago, Danny said:

Read an article where it said Spurs have outscored their xG by about 30%. Good teams create more chances than they score, Spurs need to start doing that.

Teams with good attacks will outscore their xG by virtue of xG being measured as an average for the league. We've been one of the best for ages which is why I've concluded we have one of the best attacks in the division (which even this season the numbers stack up) and why we have absolutely no business near the bottom. That statement is not true though about the good teams creating more than they score, it's very rare any top side underscores their xG because of like I say, virtue of quality attackers. There's no way for example Man City are going to underperform going forward with Haaland in their side and Tottenham, also, aren't going to underperform theirs with Kane and Son in their side.

I see xG as measuring your ability to create chances and finish them, and then ability to stop creation of chances against you and stopping them.

10 minutes ago, Dan said:

In one off games yes they're just as likely but I'm talking overall winners of competitions, I think you're a lot more likely to get an upset winner in a tournament by virtue of fewer games, no?

No. It’s the sudden death nature.

6 hours ago, Dan said:

Teams with good attacks will outscore their xG by virtue of xG being measured as an average for the league. We've been one of the best for ages which is why I've concluded we have one of the best attacks in the division (which even this season the numbers stack up) and why we have absolutely no business near the bottom. That statement is not true though about the good teams creating more than they score, it's very rare any top side underscores their xG because of like I say, virtue of quality attackers. There's no way for example Man City are going to underperform going forward with Haaland in their side and Tottenham, also, aren't going to underperform theirs with Kane and Son in their side.

I see xG as measuring your ability to create chances and finish them, and then ability to stop creation of chances against you and stopping them.

When I said creating more than they score I meant good chances in game rather than xG. xG wa adjust an additional point

Archived