talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tottenham 1-2 Newcastle - Sunday 23rd October, 2022

football forum

• Administrator

Huge win for Newcastle. Also didn't expect the win either, but credit to them I guess for picking up decent results consistently. I don't expect them to lose any of their next 4, either, providing the key players stay fit.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Huge win for Newcastle. Also didn't expect the win either, but credit to them I guess for picking up decent results consistently. I don't expect them to lose any of their next 4, either, providing the key players stay fit.

We have been the walking wounded for a while,  what helps is when the players coming in lift their game.   Its a big 4 games then hopefully we are busy working on January transfers,  we need at least 2 signings,  a LB and an attacking midfielder be it winger or more central,  the problem is finding the best available who can fit the system.   

Superb job Howe is doing at the moment. The transformation in style has been class. Only 1 of that front 6 is a post-Bruce era signing in these games lately. No Saint-Maximin either. Yet look at the way we approach games now.

I'm expecting we will eventually run out of steam but hoping that when that time comes we'll have Isak and Maxi back to keep us going.

The future feels so promising when you look at where we are and where we can feasibly upgrade on the pitch. Quality recruitment is everything, not just talent but personality and character is vital. There are far more teams in this league who've spent big money and it hasn't worked out than those who've spent it and it has.

Tottenham has a history of entertaining, not boring football and a deflection is luck and not good form. I've always maintained that good form lasts longer than good luck because once that luck runs out as it always does we are not left with good form and bad results follow.. We seem, in certain aspects to be returning to old results i.e not beating a London club and not beating top teams, Arsenal and Chelsea spring to mind..

Controlled the game when Everton could easily have gone ahead twice before we scored by a very tame penalty? At times we let them back in. Sorry Storts, I don't agree with you. I'll be watching very closely which Man Utd turns up against Newcastle. We have no more relegation candidates to play before The World Cup. Like I said, I'm waiting for better form.

• Quoting myself. Now watch us turn this around soon.

9 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Superb job Howe is doing at the moment. The transformation in style has been class. Only 1 of that front 6 is a post-Bruce era signing in these games lately. No Saint-Maximin either. Yet look at the way we approach games now.

I'm expecting we will eventually run out of steam but hoping that when that time comes we'll have Isak and Maxi back to keep us going.

The future feels so promising when you look at where we are and where we can feasibly upgrade on the pitch. Quality recruitment is everything, not just talent but personality and character is vital. There are far more teams in this league who've spent big money and it hasn't worked out than those who've spent it and it has.

With Howe, make hay while the sun shines etc etc. He started with a fair old bang at Bournemouth but then fell away and I think he'll do the same again with you.

• The title was changed to Tottenham 1-2 Newcastle - Sunday 23rd October, 2022
  • The topic was unpinned
11 minutes ago, Chickasaw said:

With Howe, make hay while the sun shines etc etc. He started with a fair old bang at Bournemouth but then fell away and I think he'll do the same again with you.

Pretty much everyone does fall away to be fair. It would be expected with whomever we have. The question is how far we get first.

47 minutes ago, Chickasaw said:

That was then,  like in life you live and learn as Howe said he was more naive then but decided to better his craft,  which is where he worked with Diego Simeone.   I also think unlike Bournemouth he is not required to sign the players so that pressure is not there to make the right signing as it were. 

2 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

That was then,  like in life you live and learn as Howe said he was more naive then but decided to better his craft,  which is where he worked with Diego Simeone.   I also think unlike Bournemouth he is not required to sign the players so that pressure is not there to make the right signing as it were. 

Traditions don't change Orange.

2 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

Pretty much everyone does fall away to be fair. It would be expected with whomever we have. The question is how far we get first.

Fair point. Credit to Newcastle yesterday, on top of their game, we aren't.

I've been really surprised by Newcastle actually and to be frank, the only game they have lost this season was a very dodgy late late goal at Anfield. So when you take that into account, it's mighty impressive. They deserve a load of credit but there will be people reluctant to give it to then because of the fact they have mega rich owners now.

To be fair, they have gone toe to toe with City in what I think's been the league's best game this season to date, and they have kept going even when they have lost Wilson, Isak, Saint-Maximin, Guimaraes, key players that you'd think would derail the side a bit, but they've just kept the momentum going.

For me that is testament to how united they are as a club currently that the whole squad are pulling together. Howe deserves massive credit for that and all you can do is acknowledge the job he has done to date,  and judge him on the current, not what may or may not happen in the future.

46 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I've been really surprised by Newcastle actually and to be frank, the only game they have lost this season was a very dodgy late late goal at Anfield. So when you take that into account, it's mighty impressive. They deserve a load of credit but there will be people reluctant to give it to then because of the fact they have mega rich owners now.

To be fair, they have gone toe to toe with City in what I think's been the league's best game this season to date, and they have kept going even when they have lost Wilson, Isak, Saint-Maximin, Guimaraes, key players that you'd think would derail the side a bit, but they've just kept the momentum going.

For me that is testament to how united they are as a club currently that the whole squad are pulling together. Howe deserves massive credit for that and all you can do is acknowledge the job he has done to date,  and judge him on the current, not what may or may not happen in the future.

some are now coming out rather than making excuses.  we are overachieving right now and we will need to bring in at least 2 players in January, but anything is possible as Leicester showed.

4 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

So according to your genius, Spurs lost because they 'won bad' against everton, and now that you lose to Newcastle, you'll lose the next game no? And then after that? And after that? 0 points between now and seasons end?

No, the writing was on the wall during The Leicester match when we fell behind at home to the bottom club. A bit of a seasonal flash in the pan at the time by Son saved us and going behind at home in the CL also told us that the cracks were there. The Everton match was the catalyst for what's happening now. We won it ugly didn't we as we have other matches? Winning by cheating means one isn't good enough to win properly and fairly, whoever and in whatever. When the opportunities to cheat run out along with the luck then the true form shows and that's what we're seeing now.

Now, if you care to read my posts(I don't care if you do or don't or what you think) you will read that we'll put it right and I'm just waiting for that marquee performance to set us off up and running. I've been Spurs since 1961, I know the club's strengths and weaknesses and can read the signs and I'll know when that performance will be after I've seen it. I posted the bad results would come after the Everton match, did you read that? I will repeat, it will come right...........ok pinhead?

3 minutes ago, Chickasaw said:

Are you referring to Spurs or Newcastle?

I'm referring to your point. 

For weeks you have been saying "Yeah we won but I am getting a bit worried about our performance". I'm saying I agree with you. Getting a string of good results isn't sustainable if the football isn't up to scratch. Only a matter of time until it comes to bite you. 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

I'm referring to your point. 

For weeks you have been saying "Yeah we won but I am getting a bit worried about our performance". I'm saying I agree with you. Getting a string of good results isn't sustainable if the football isn't up to scratch. Only a matter of time until it comes to bite you. 

Thank you. It also applies to cheating, that rebounds badly too.I, if I were a coach or a teacher would NEVER encourage my subordinates to cheat and I don't care if it is my team which gains points wrongly.

22 hours ago, Chickasaw said:

Yes, you're right. I wasn't confident before the match because you've played the more effective football. You drew against Utd, we lost so it was obviously going to be a close match today. Our first defeat at home since April but, as I said, we WILL turn this around. Spurs just need that one marquee performance to set us off and running.

I said we'd see a more traditional Brighton and here they are plunging down the table. I said after the Brentford/Utd match what would happen and here's Utd way up there and Brentford getting thrashed. I said the poor results would come for Spurs after the Everton match, Not bad for a supposed plonker.

Yes. Brentford with my mothers family's team. Ergo like to see them doing well. The Brentford peoople got on well with us at the ground. Unusual for Southerners......but Brentfords defence is awful. Midfield and forwards are fine and do well. But their defence will collapse a few more times to come this season.

Spurs and everyone else will have bad periods. There will be the break for Qatah, and it'll be like a new season starting with weird results maybe. We Newcastle fans predicted a slow improvement season on season. We're ahead of the plan at the moment but still regard 6th as the target. And as for money - odd the other teams who've spent just as much are never mentioned. I recall when we bounced strainght back after last relegation we'd "bought promotion" even though 2 or three teams had spent more, and we had actually a profit on outgoings and incomings - so all the press hypocrisies and hate towards us predates the Saudis by quite a few seasons.

1 hour ago, PhilK said:

Yes. Brentford with my mothers family's team. Ergo like to see them doing well. The Brentford peoople got on well with us at the ground. Unusual for Southerners......but Brentfords defence is awful. Midfield and forwards are fine and do well. But their defence will collapse a few more times to come this season.

Spurs and everyone else will have bad periods. There will be the break for Qatah, and it'll be like a new season starting with weird results maybe. We Newcastle fans predicted a slow improvement season on season. We're ahead of the plan at the moment but still regard 6th as the target. And as for money - odd the other teams who've spent just as much are never mentioned. I recall when we bounced strainght back after last relegation we'd "bought promotion" even though 2 or three teams had spent more, and we had actually a profit on outgoings and incomings - so all the press hypocrisies and hate towards us predates the Saudis by quite a few seasons.

I wasn't exactly talking about Brentford's weak defence. I was referring to an earlier prediction after Man U were thrashed by Brentford 4-0 that Utd would be ok and Brentford wouldn't. Look what's happening to them both now.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Cicero said:

Getting a string of good results is one thing, but if its relied on moments rather than the performance as a whole, then you can't say its sustainable. 

I was arguing this for us last season. Lo and behold.

Archived