• Mario
    • Legend of Zelda
    • Kirby
    • Metroid
    • F-Zero
    • Donkey Kong
    • Other

• Subscriber

We've all got a favourite and I have made this multiple choice just because each one of these has a super title buried somewhere in it's archive. Whether its the classic SMB2 or LoZ:OOT or something even older like Super Metroid. Which one of these do you like the most? 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nintendo doesn't develop Pokemon. They don't even exclusively own Pokemon, the ownership of Pokemon is actually quite interesting. The IP is owned by The Pokemon Company, which in turn is an entity that is a join venture between Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures. Nintendo alongside The Pokemon Company publishes the games, Game Freak creates them, and I have no idea what Creatures does or is.

It's the most lucrative media franchise ever. Nearly twice as much as Star Wars, Marvel, etc. It's insane how much money Pokemon generates.

To answer your question, my favourites were the games released for the Gamecube because I have nostalgia for them.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Spike said:

Nintendo doesn't develop Pokemon. They don't even exclusively own Pokemon, the ownership of Pokemon is actually quite interesting. The IP is owned by The Pokemon Company, which in turn is an entity that is a join venture between Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures. Nintendo alongside The Pokemon Company publishes the games, Game Freak creates them, and I have no idea what Creatures does or is.

It's the most lucrative media franchise ever. Nearly twice as much as Star Wars, Marvel, etc. It's insane how much money Pokemon generates.

To answer your question, my favourites were the games released for the Gamecube because I have nostalgia for them.

Learn something new everyday. I have only ever seen their games on Nintendo consoles so I assumed they were a Nintendo franchise but after reading it that makes total sense. I have only ever played a few of them anyways so learned something new here.

34 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Learn something new everyday. I have only ever seen their games on Nintendo consoles so I assumed they were a Nintendo franchise but after reading it that makes total sense. I have only ever played a few of them anyways so learned something new here.

If you play one, you’ve played them all. Except Colosseum, that one was weird.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Spike said:

Sunshine is the best Mario. 64 is jank. Also Mario 3 is better than World.

I'd also be tempted to put Sunshine in the top echelon of Mario games. It was innovative and really does turn into a good challenge the more you play it. 

Mario for me definitely. Played all of the mainline platformers bar Sunshine (please don't kill me) and pretty much any new mainline release is a day one purchase really. Not so fussed on the New Super Mario Bros lot, but they're still decent enough.

As @Dr. Gonzo mentioned as well, Mario Kart also gets a huge shout as well. Love the series and would happily play any of them really.

The other for me is the Smash Bros series, as you can't really put that into any of the above categories (especially as they have characters from each franchise xD). Loved the N64 one and after Ultimate basically gave you everything from the entire back catalogue and then some, I question where the series goes from here.

• Subscriber

For me its LoZ followed closely by Mario. I think over time as Nintendo started making changes in how they used their franchises, LoZ has been the front-runner for those kinds of innovations. Not to of course say that Mario hasn't had his own innovations, but Link is always a step ahead imo. The other franchise I think has some of the best games Nintendo has ever put out are both Metroid and Kirby.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Mario for me definitely. Played all of the mainline platformers bar Sunshine (please don't kill me) and pretty much any new mainline release is a day one purchase really. Not so fussed on the New Super Mario Bros lot, but they're still decent enough.

Anyone who played Galaxy can skip Sunshine imo.

5 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

As @Dr. Gonzo mentioned as well, Mario Kart also gets a huge shout as well. Love the series and would happily play any of them really.

The other for me is the Smash Bros series, as you can't really put that into any of the above categories (especially as they have characters from each franchise xD). Loved the N64 one and after Ultimate basically gave you everything from the entire back catalogue and then some, I question where the series goes from here.

Smash Bros is also not made by Nintendo!  How weird is that.Also some of my favourite games, the Donkey Kong Country series were not made by Nintendo either. It is making me question what has Nintendo made.

13 minutes ago, Spike said:

Smash Bros is also not made by Nintendo!  How weird is that.Also some of my favourite games, the Donkey Kong Country series were not made by Nintendo either. It is making me question what has Nintendo made.

Good point actually.

I know Bandai Namco developed the most recent duo, though thought HAL Laboratory were part of Nintendo until I quickly looked it up.

I knew the Donkey Kong Country series were under Rare. Not sure on the more recent ones.

3 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Good point actually.

I know Bandai Namco developed the most recent duo, though thought HAL Laboratory were part of Nintendo until I quickly looked it up.

I knew the Donkey Kong Country series were under Rare. Not sure on the more recent ones.

For a company that is very protective of their IPs and franchises they really have made a few risks and let other devs take the wheels in the past. Maybe that is what they need to so with something like F Zero

12 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

The power of licensing. Find the best team to make your product shine and let them go to work on it. I'd love MercurySteam to touch F-Zero I think they'd turn it into Switch gold.

Who are they?

• Subscriber
33 minutes ago, Spike said:

Who are they?

They've done Metroid Dread recently and imo they did a very good job of it too. Quite a short list to their name

Year Title Platform(s) Publisher(s) Notes
2004 American McGee Presents: Scrapland Microsoft Windows, Xbox Enlight Software  
2006 Zombies Nokia 6680, Nokia N70 MercurySteam
2007 Clive Barker's Jericho Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 Codemasters Co-developed with Alchemic Productions
2010 Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Konami Co-developed with Kojima Productions
2013 Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate Nintendo 3DS, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360  
2014 Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
2017 Metroid: Samus Returns Nintendo 3DS Nintendo Co-developed with Nintendo EPD
Spacelords Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S MercurySteam  
2021 Metroid Dread Nintendo Switch Nintendo Co-developed with Nintendo EPD
American McGee Presents: Scrapland Remastered[6] Microsoft Windows MercurySteam  
TBA Project Iron Microsoft Windows, unannounced consoles

MercurySteam, 505 Games

Have to say I quite liked their Castlevania remake as well.

Edit: Surprised Nintendo haven't approached Bandai-Namco to do work on F-Zero considering they've also done stuff like RidgeRacer.

4 hours ago, Spike said:

For a company that is very protective of their IPs and franchises they really have made a few risks and let other devs take the wheels in the past. Maybe that is what they need to so with something like F Zero

I'd love to see another F-Zero. Never played much of the GameCube one, but loved the SNES and N64 versions. Could listen to Mute City over and over again.

I really wanted to give Star Fox Zero a crack (done by Platinum Games), seeing as I loved Lylat Wars/Starfox 64, but kept hearing the controls are fiddly as hell.

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I'd love to see another F-Zero. Never played much of the GameCube one, but loved the SNES and N64 versions. Could listen to Mute City over and over again.

I really wanted to give Star Fox Zero a crack (done by Platinum Games), seeing as I loved Lylat Wars/Starfox 64, but kept hearing the controls are fiddly as hell.

Its not as hard as some of its predecessors but its still very hard in its own right.

On 22/10/2022 at 06:40, Spike said:

Aren't the more recent DK games made by Nintendo? But the earlier ones are Rare games.

26 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Aren't the more recent DK games made by Nintendo? But the earlier ones are Rare games.

I’m not sure but I’m fairly positive the reason that Nintendo didn’t do much with DK for so long after DKC3 is that they were sour that everything associated with DK was from Rare and not inhouse Nintendo.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Spike said:

I’m not sure but I’m fairly positive the reason that Nintendo didn’t do much with DK for so long after DKC3 is that they were sour that everything associated with DK was from Rare and not inhouse Nintendo.

I thought it was because Nintendo America messed it up so bad for the Wii-U that they decided to shelf the brand till they could come up with something innovative. This also works into the fact that they are building a theme park so now a DK game is coming to the Switch next year.

6 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I thought it was because Nintendo America messed it up so bad for the Wii-U that they decided to shelf the brand till they could come up with something innovative. This also works into the fact that they are building a theme park so now a DK game is coming to the Switch next year.

I’m pretty sure there was over a decade between platformers, from the 64 to the Wii

• Subscriber
16 hours ago, Spike said:

I’m pretty sure there was over a decade between platformers, from the 64 to the Wii

Yeah they tend to keep things very long between consoles which imo is a good thing. P.s. This new Kirby game is very enjoyable if you're into mini speed games and like a non-challenging 3-D platformer. It can get very difficult at times but its actually really good.

Archived