talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The world cup where you live

Its interesting to see what the world cup is like in different cities and places around the world.

In Bristol where I live it's huge. Even the game against Iran which is on at 1 in the afternoon will feel the pubs. You won't be able to move. If England progress past the last 16 there will be lots of celebrations in the city centre.

From what I've heard though not everywhere is the same

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

The timings are quite good for this WC. A lot of places are offering deals, etc but I'll skip all of that because of most folks who go there are absolute tools that will ruin the watching experience. 

Cringe advertisements with Hollywood actors targeted at fat bald fucks in the USA midwest that will get confused and angry as to why the USA is losing to a country ‘like France’.

It’s best to hang out with the paisas or go to specific bars that cater to soccerball fans. But I digress because I will be in Australia for most of the World Cup, in my hometown I garuantee that I will be one of less than two people watching the World Cup.

2 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Ok but say it was a world cup in a different country what would it be like?

A lot of annoying people who don't care about football are suddenly the biggest fans of the national team. 

It's actually quite big in Canada but we are a nation immigrants and the ethnic communities follow it big time.  No Italy might hurt it locally where I am but  the Italians will watch it and every game will be on TV here. Many bars will be full, the Portugese and Italian social clubs will be running events.  Flags will be flying especially from cars.   Loads of cars have those little flags flying from their cars. 

As for the Canadians, this is the first World Cup Canada has been in since 1986, where they lost all three games and didn't score a goal. This is also the best team Canada has ever had and it's well supported.  I was at a couple of the qualifiers and the crowd is just wild , flares, banners singing and even a cannon in Montreal. Coming back on the train from Toronto, riots broke out in 3 or 4 cars.  They pulled over to the side and tons of cops got on board and sorted things out.  It was like being back in England in the 70's and 80''s.  

I am actually going to be in England throughout November, so by the time I get back to Canada, their World Cup maybe over, but I think they have a shot of getting  out of a tough group.

27 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

It's actually quite big in Canada but we are a nation immigrants and the ethnic communities follow it big time.  No Italy might hurt it locally where I am but  the Italians will watch it and every game will be on TV here. Many bars will be full, the Portugese and Italian social clubs will be running events.  Flags will be flying especially from cars.   Loads of cars have those little flags flying from their cars. 

As for the Canadians, this is the first World Cup Canada has been in since 1986, where they lost all three games and didn't score a goal. This is also the best team Canada has ever had and it's well supported.  I was at a couple of the qualifiers and the crowd is just wild , flares, banners singing and even a cannon in Montreal. Coming back on the train from Toronto, riots broke out in 3 or 4 cars.  They pulled over to the side and tons of cops got on board and sorted things out.  It was like being back in England in the 70's and 80''s.  

I am actually going to be in England throughout November, so by the time I get back to Canada, their World Cup maybe over, but I think they have a shot of getting  out of a tough group.

I saw the highlights of the Canada game against USA.  The crowd was incredible.  Is international football bigger than club football in Canada because they have only just formed their own league?

I sometimes get the impression that like USA football is seen as more of a girls sport in Canada? Canada always qualify for the women's world cup and I think they had a crowd of over 50000 once for a women's u20 world cup match once which is possibly a record 

52 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

I saw the highlights of the Canada game against USA.  The crowd was incredible.  Is international football bigger than club football in Canada because they have only just formed their own league?

I sometimes get the impression that like USA football is seen as more of a girls sport in Canada? Canada always qualify for the women's world cup and I think they had a crowd of over 50000 once for a women's u20 world cup match once which is possibly a record 

That game against the US in Hamilton was something else. I live in Hamilton and had tickets, January here is damn cold.

We have never really had a professional league here, the Canadian Premier League is 2 or 3 years old maybe more, and they struggled big time during Covid.   The problem is the quality of the men's game at the club level isn't all that good.  Plus the audience for soccer over here are immigrants or their children who grew up watching the top leagues across Europe or Central and South America.  It's hard watching what is not any better than academy or reserve game in England.

The Women's game is different, it's marketed as a way for girls to be physically active.  The national team gets decent crowds, there are a lot of high school girls there. They push it more and like you say the Canadian women's team is competitive.

I have been quite a few of Canadian Women's nation team games, there are always qualifiers down the road in Toronto and the last Pan American game held the Women's tournament in Hamilton. I could go to a Women's game and not nit pick and expect them to be as good as players in the Premier, I can't do that with the Men's game.

However, this Men's team is different,  they are actually decent, very athletic.  Canada has done what France and Germany has done and given instant citizenship to any decent player who has immigrated to or play professionally in Canada.   There are 8 foreign born players in the squad including Jonathan David who was born in NY.

In my middle bit of England it will be a topic of conversation at the office drinks machine, train stations, on social media, etc. England flags, or even very local regional flags, will be hanging out of windows. I did hear one very loud proclamation from the street that it was 'coming home' after the Euro 20/21 England vs Ukraine match. And I have known other similar instances over the years. When I was at junior school we all got randomly assigned a few nations to adopt & learn about, while the classroom was decorated with all the flags & info about all of them & the tournament. But we don't seem to do the whole gathering in crowds with giant screens.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in Hawaii for this World Cup and honestly no one has mentioned it except the Scottsman who lives next to me. I don't think it's that popular here...they like NFL and basketball a lot more. Perhaps I'm wrong, maybe they'll start taking about it once the games get started...

In Seattle it's kinda a bigger deal, people do watch and follow it...but more as an aside. I remember when Ghana beat the USA and people were like...how can we lose to a team like Ghana? And I was like...tf? Your best player couldn't even hack it in Europe...meanwhile Ghana has legit players all over the best leagues in Europe..I'm pretty sure Essien didn't even play that match...how can we win? I was wondering how it was so close...

(2nd best player...Howard was their best player, I'm talking about Donovan..)

New York is a bit less enthusiastic than Seattle was, but it's more diverse there so I felt more people paid attention but perhaps were not as passionate as Seattle was..

And in East Africa? Well, the whole country just comes to a stop basically...every game is watched, bets are flying all over the place, when an African team makes it far...people might flood the streets... it's like the leading news story every broadcast..expert panels are held..bars are full...noise is made and when the last African team gets ousted...the whole country is sad the next day. We go into a mini existential crisis and start asking ourselves...why? 

I remember when Senegal beat France 2002...we were at school, just after lunch...and for the rest of the day not even 1 of the teachers showed up to continue our lessons lol. It was like a huge party and we talked about it for days on end..

• 2 weeks later...

Archived