Will you be watching?

football forum

Will you be watching?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be watching?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fake fans employed to create atmosphere are ridiculous, I'd rather they accept its going to be a more relaxed quiet world cup than dress up paid fake support.

It just makes an even bigger mockery of the whole thing.

• Subscriber
Just now, Danny said:

I mean I’ve not made the decision to watch it yet, just not sure what the wider implications of not watching it are other than personal. 

Depends on how you are watching it. If you are paying for a channel which broadcasts it, well then you have your answer. If you're just streaming it illegally, then go on, they are not getting a cent out of it. Whatever you do, I really don't care, I just can't stand those who watch it and then complain how wrong it is. If you're watching it, at least have balls to admit that you don't give a fuck about the state of football as it is. 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Depends on how you are watching it. If you are paying for a channel which broadcasts it, well then you have your answer. If you're just streaming it illegally, then go on, they are not getting a cent out of it. Whatever you do, I really don't care, I just can't stand those who watch it and then complain how wrong it is. If you're watching it, at least have balls to admit that you don't give a fuck about the state of football as it is. 

That ship sailed along time ago for me.

Tbh most people in the UK seem quite apathetic towards it in terms of whether you should watch or not. I think theres been so much political turmoil that a lot of the questioning of the ethics of the tournament has become more of a sidelined commentary piece than a consistent major news story. Then you factor in the Ronaldo interview the news has focused on anything but.

Was interesting to see that the national mood in Holland is to boycott watching it, completely different to here. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Danny said:

That ship sailed along time ago for me.

Tbh most people in the UK seem quite apathetic towards it in terms of whether you should watch or not. I think theres been so much political turmoil that a lot of the questioning of the ethics of the tournament has become more of a sidelined commentary piece than a consistent major news story. Then you factor in the Ronaldo interview the news has focused on anything but.

Was interesting to see that the national mood in Holland is to boycott watching it, completely different to here. 

Fair enough, I should have taken only one ball into account xD But yeah, that is the point. I will never understand how the English can accept the shitshow that it is. 

11 minutes ago, nudge said:

If you're watching it, at least have balls to admit that you don't give a fuck about the state of football as it is. 

I don't disagree with this... but I also think it's true of the people who watched the last World Cup in Russia. And for people who watch the Olympics (I am in the elite group of people who never watches the fucking olympics, so I have no qualms about saying this) when it's in places like China (I think they've hosted the olympics recently?). Or people who watch F1 races when it's in Azerbaijan, Saudi Arabia, and China (although F1's always been a billionaires plaything... so you can make the argument there are inherently no morals in F1).

I think realistically most people aren't really arsed about authoritarian countries that do shitty things having rampant corruption and using sport for propaganda and sportwashing. Or they are arsed, until they sit down and watch whatever they were going to watch and enjoy it and then they don't care that they're at least a bit complicit in the sportwashing and propaganda.

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Fair enough, I should have taken only one ball into account xD But yeah, that is the point. I will never understand how the English can accept the shitshow that it is. 

I mean fans of English clubs protested against the Super League without realising the Prem is pretty much the Super League.

I think decades of the Premier League effects your view on football. There are 3 clubs that have/will be dominant because of oil barons. A lot of other clubs are or were American or Chinese owned. The capitalist nature of football in England I think makes you as a fan feel helpless more than anything, so you just go along with it. Look at ticket prices, no beer in the ground, away fans are often ushered into a ground like animals. I think a lot of English football is dehumanising to match going fans and is ultimately set up to attract a TV audience…and it’s just something that we have accepted as the norm.

I think thats whats happening here, the fact that no FAs, players or officials at UEFA/Elsewhere/FIFA have done anything to stop this since the corruption at FIFA was exposed just makes you think…yeah this is happening and ultimately watching it or not will have no bearing on the overall outcome.

Personally I dont think this will ever go to another Qatar, I think that has already been a monumental fuck up.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't disagree with this... but I also think it's true of the people who watched the last World Cup in Russia. And for people who watch the Olympics (I am in the elite group of people who never watches the fucking olympics, so I have no qualms about saying this) when it's in places like China (I think they've hosted the olympics recently?). Or people who watch F1 races when it's in Azerbaijan, Saudi Arabia, and China (although F1's always been a billionaires plaything... so you can make the argument there are inherently no morals in F1).

I think realistically most people aren't really arsed about authoritarian countries that do shitty things having rampant corruption and using sport for propaganda and sportwashing. Or they are arsed, until they sit down and watch whatever they were going to watch and enjoy it and then they don't care that they're at least a bit complicit in the sportwashing and propaganda.

Yes, and it's also the reason why I cancelled my F1 subscription, I just can't deal with this bullshit and I refuse to pay a cent to those wankers who are sportswashing countries like that. I'm fine with people don't giving a fuck, it's normal. I just can't be arsed to see people claiming to be against it, but then submitting fully to it anyway. Are you saying that you feel for the workers who passed away but you are still going to watch it? Well then fuck you. 

42 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I like how those who are going to watch it try really hard to justify it. 

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Yes, and it's also the reason why I cancelled my F1 subscription, I just can't deal with this bullshit and I refuse to pay a cent to those wankers who are sportswashing countries like that. I'm fine with people don't giving a fuck, it's normal. I just can't be arsed to see people claiming to be against it, but then submitting fully to it anyway. Are you saying that you feel for the workers who passed away but you are still going to watch it? Well then fuck you. 

I've just come to terms with the fact that I'm a bad person and that most people are too & that's how I sleep at night.

• Subscriber

I've just come to terms with the fact that I'm a bad person and that most people are too & that's how I sleep at night.

You are not a bad person, and most other people aren't either. 

Not to go all whataboutery here but this is a key thing to think about imo. Think how much of your daily life causes suffering to someone else, your clothes being made in a sweatshop thats not a sweatshop but is definitely a sweatshop…your electronics too. The daily life we live is based on other people suffering and because of that we live in a society where we just have to accept that there are wider systems at play that create it. Rightly or wrongly that is what happens.

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Danny said:

Not to go all whataboutery here but this is a key thing to think about imo. Think how much of your daily life causes suffering to someone else, your clothes being made in a sweatshop thats not a sweatshop but is definitely a sweatshop…your electronics too. The daily life we live is based on other people suffering and because of that we live in a society where we just have to accept that there are wider systems at play that create it. Rightly or wrongly that is what happens.

It's all up to you. My clothes are definitely not made in a sweatshop, because I go lengths to avoid that, and get my clothes made by a local tailor whom I pay more than what he asks me. I would agree with the electronics because it's harder to find a better way out, but I still get mine second hand to avoid stupid prices. Regardless, there are some things you can avoid and some things you can't. Watching a world cup is definitely something that's not a must-be, and it's not comparable to anything like surviving. 

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

You are not a bad person, and most other people aren't either. 

I mean at the end of the day, I probably am a bad person. Because like you say... I feel bad loads of workers have died - but I'm still going to watch this world cup because I've got no idea when the next time England will play Iran (if it ever happens again)... so how much do I really care about their deaths? I'm going to be doing something that deep down, I know I probably shouldn't do if I want to maintain my moral integrity or whatever... but I'm going to do it anyways because of nationalism or some shit passed down to me from my parents xD

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

It's all up to you. My clothes are definitely not made in a sweatshop, because I go lengths to avoid that, and get my clothes made by a local tailor whom I pay more than what he asks me. I would agree with the electronics because it's harder to find a better way out, but I still get mine second hand to avoid stupid prices. Regardless, there are some things you can avoid and some things you can't. Watching a world cup is definitely something that's not a must-be, and it's not comparable to anything like surviving. 

You’re not wrong, I’ve tried to only buy from sustainable clothing brands but sometimes they’re wither hard to find, lying or just too expensive. Do you still live in south east Asia? I’d imagine you’d find something affordable out there.

• Subscriber
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I mean at the end of the day, I probably am a bad person. Because like you say... I feel bad loads of workers have died - but I'm still going to watch this world cup because I've got no idea when the next time England will play Iran (if it ever happens again)... so how much do I really care about their deaths? I'm going to be doing something that deep down, I know I probably shouldn't do if I want to maintain my moral integrity or whatever... but I'm going to do it anyways because of nationalism or some shit passed down to me from my parents xD

You are still not a bad person, simply because you haven't contributed to anything making these people die. It's shit, and it happens. But it's not your fault either way...

• Subscriber
Just now, Danny said:

You’re not wrong, I’ve tried to only buy from sustainable clothing brands but sometimes they’re wither hard to find, lying or just too expensive. Do you still live in south east Asia? I’d imagine you’d find something affordable out there.

I spent my last year in seven countries. I am finally back to SE Asia now, but judging from the things outside my control, I will have to leave again soon. Either way, I'm quite annoyed now, because I lost a shitload of weight and I can't find suitable clothes for me again; it's even harder now than it was before xD 

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

You are still not a bad person, simply because you haven't contributed to anything making these people die. It's shit, and it happens. But it's not your fault either way...

And I'll be committing piracy on the high seas of the internet to watch it because I think it's funny that I can watch the world cup while not giving their advertisers money

FIFA doesn’t care about fans, boycotting this WC won’t make them care for the fans either. It will only make them more particular about host nations.That isn’t ‘caring’ that is adapting to the market.

Qatar definitely doesn’t care and boycotting this WC does nothing to address their human’s rights issues.

If someone really cared about the purity of football, they wouldn’t even engage in this bullshit corporate shell of a sport but instead be involved with grassroots and local sports. I hate football so I’ll watch the WC.

As Gonzo has mentioned, where was all this outrage when South Africa, Russia and Brazil got it in recent years?  

We are all hypocrites to some extent, so let’s not get on our high horse over who may and may not be watching. 

• Subscriber

Frankly, I was just drunk last night for the first time in months xD But anyway, I still think it's completely ridiculous to be expressing one's dissatisfaction yet consume the product happily. Sue me🤷‍♀️

37 minutes ago, Rick said:

We are all hypocrites to some extent, so let’s not get on our high horse over who may and may not be watching. 

I don't think anyone is on a high horse. It sounds more like those who are going to watch it know that it's wrong, but they don't want to abstain from their "luxurious entertainment" for lack of a better word. 😅

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I don't think anyone is on a high horse. It sounds more like those who are going to watch it know that it's wrong, but they don't want to abstain from their "luxurious entertainment" for lack of a better word. 😅

I think there were high horses involved. 

Archived