talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What are you playing?

football forum

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Is that the new Tomb Raider or one of the earlier ones?

Once I've done Yakuza Kiwami 2 (which I hope is no later than the end of the month), Smash Bros is definitely next with Red Dead 2 afterwards.

Yeah its the new one Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

I am very excited about Smash Bros.

• Subscriber
35 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

That is going to be some serious backlog playing. Can't speak much for the Hitman series but those last three are pure gold and I'd even rate GoW higher than RDR and Horizon (which I thought was one of the best games i played in 2017)

The nice thing about being so backlogged is by the time I get around to buying these they are all under 50$ xD GOW is on for 30$ I think for black friday deals so im definitely picking that up and probably leaning towards playing that next anyways Im glad its highly rated because Ive loved the series so far. Ill keep an eye on hitman and RDR, not to mention Ill have to get AC Odyssey down the road too. Horizon I can borrow but my brother said he has like 90 hours into it, I dont get time to play every week so that task seems pretty daunting. 

• Subscriber
17 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Coming tomorrow. Got that and asked for Red Dead Redemption 2 for Christmas so this'll be fun.

Can't wait. I've heard the Joker (Persona 5) is a character in the DLC.

Edited by Mel81x

• Subscriber
On 08/12/2018 at 16:10, Bluebird Hewitt said:

You're correct. He's the first of the five DLC characters.

As for me, I've just started to play Smash so no games might as well be released for the next few months.

I started playing it again this morning and I lost a lot of time just looking at all the levels they've got in there. One of my favorites is the Game + Watch style level they have in there and how it keeps changing.

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I started playing it again this morning and I lost a lot of time just looking at all the levels they've got in there. One of my favorites is the Game + Watch style level they have in there and how it keeps changing.

You can have a stage morph in this as well. Pick two stages and it'll change between them during a fight.

EDIT: Started the World of Light and trying to unlock characters as I go. Got a fair amount to unlock and do, though have got Sonic and Bowser at least, so happy with that.

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

@nudge I had a couple of sessions on C2C, I'm afraid I just don't have the time to sink as much time into it as I need to to make satisfactory and engaging progress. I do appreciate the depth of the mod and may well come back to it during my two week Christmas break.

Yeah I've been too busy lately to keep on playing it as well; will return to my save at some point though.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a good six years, since I last played a video game. The last one I played was Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. 

Since then, I got disconnected from them. 

I decided to read some of the threads in this section, to see what kind of games people were playing nowadays, and, I must say, I'm saddened by the actual state of video gaming. 

What happened to just buy a game, for 50/60 Euros, and be able to play that game to it's full, without having to spend another cent in bullshit, like DLC?

Microtransactions? What the fuck is this? 

Playing video games was an important part of my youth. I spent countless of hours playing true classics like Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo or Final Fantasy X. 

Watching the actual state of affairs, I'm kind of glad I left the video gaming world. I prefer to keep the good memories I have of it, rather than participate in a business where the customer/player is not the main target anymore, instead, the main goal is just feeding the pure greed of the producers. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, ASF said:

I decided to read some of the threads in this section, to see what kind of games people were playing nowadays, and, I must say, I'm saddened by the actual state of video gaming. 

What happened to just buy a game, for 50/60 Euros, and be able to play that game to it's full, without having to spend another cent in bullshit, like DLC?

Playing video games was an important part of my youth. I spent countless of hours playing true classics like Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo or Final Fantasy X. 

Watching the actual state of affairs, I'm kind of glad I left the video gaming world. I prefer to keep the good memories I have of it, rather than participate in a business where the customer/player is not the main target anymore, instead, the main goal is just feeding the pure greed of the producers. 

Well you're partly right. The monetization component of gaming is alive and well plus they've really always been this way its nothing new, they are after all companies putting out titles and they need to earn money for it. As for the fact that there aren't any real AAA titles out there anymore I think that's untrue and you can get the same experience as playing MGS, GT, FF(Insert version here) with other titles as well like Last of Us, Resident Evil, Uncharted, FFXIII, FFXIII-Lightning Returns, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid : Phantom Pain, etc. It's all really a matter of just choosing the level of gaming you'd like to get into and sticking with it. You may not even choose to buy a DLC or go further than the story if you really just want to stop there and it provides a lush and rich gaming experience that in some ways actually trumps what we grew up playing (hard to believe I know).

Where I completely agree with you is this weird microtransaction world the gaming industry adopted and I blame the money-minded-bastards at EA for starting this whole mess. I don't mind paying for a DLC if its reasonable but to make money they way they do is stupid and kills the joy of gaming.

15 hours ago, ASF said:

It's been a good six years, since I last played a video game. The last one I played was Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. 

Since then, I got disconnected from them. 

I felt the same way a couple of years ago (though I had one or two issues at the time). Basically didn't feel like playing many games at all due to a mixture of the bullshit you mentioned above and games just simply not being fun.

Thankfully, when I decided to play Yakuza 0, that gave me the buzz again.

As for me, think I've pretty much finished Smash Bros Ultimate in terms of getting the fighters and completing World of Light, so looking to start Red Dead 2 next.

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt

On 12/01/2019 at 05:11, Mel81x said:

Well you're partly right. The monetization component of gaming is alive and well plus they've really always been this way its nothing new, they are after all companies putting out titles and they need to earn money for it. As for the fact that there aren't any real AAA titles out there anymore I think that's untrue and you can get the same experience as playing MGS, GT, FF(Insert version here) with other titles as well like Last of Us, Resident Evil, Uncharted, FFXIII, FFXIII-Lightning Returns, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid : Phantom Pain, etc. It's all really a matter of just choosing the level of gaming you'd like to get into and sticking with it. You may not even choose to buy a DLC or go further than the story if you really just want to stop there and it provides a lush and rich gaming experience that in some ways actually trumps what we grew up playing (hard to believe I know).

Where I completely agree with you is this weird microtransaction world the gaming industry adopted and I blame the money-minded-bastards at EA for starting this whole mess. I don't mind paying for a DLC if its reasonable but to make money they way they do is stupid and kills the joy of gaming.

There aren't really top games from famous franchises anymore, except perhaps for the Mario games.

MSG should have ended with Guns of Patriots. I read that the last one involves another dimension and zombies (what??). FF went from the classic RPG game play to an action game with FFXV, shitting on the series legacy. The last Gran Turismo was a flop. Even God of War seems to have toned down from it's gore. I'm sure, to please the PC cult of today.

The industry has no ideas and proof of that is the countless of remastered versions, of past classics.

On 12/01/2019 at 19:16, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I felt the same way a couple of years ago (though I had one or two issues at the time). Basically didn't feel like playing many games at all due to a mixture of the bullshit you mentioned above and games just simply not being fun.

Thankfully, when I decided to play Yakuza 0, that gave me the buzz again.

As for me, think I've pretty much finished Smash Bros Ultimate in terms of getting the fighters and completing World of Light, so looking to start Red Dead 2 next.

The only thing the gaming industry does today, apart from fleecing money with nonsense out of the players, is launching remastered versions, first for the PS3/360, then for the PS4/XBO.

They can fuck right off.

Edited by ASF

• Subscriber

Have to agree with a lot of what's been said. Every game now seems to consist of a competitive online mode with an almost endless grind to collect or complete everything or reach the highest possible rank with micro transactions in there whenever you get a bit fed up of said grind. 

Doesn't help that FIFA and Call of Duty are the two franchises I've played the most over the years and seen devolve into what I've just described. 

Football Manager is still a really good, pure gaming experience if that's what you're into. Sadly though I've played it to fucking death over the years and don't feel as if I can stick out a proper career on it anymore without getting bored.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, ASF said:

There aren't really top games from famous franchises anymore, except perhaps for the Mario games.

MSG should have ended with Guns of Patriots. I read that the last one involves another dimension and zombies (what??). FF went from the classic RPG game play to an action game with FFXV, shitting on the series legacy. The last Gran Turismo was a flop. Even God of War seems to have toned down from it's gore. I'm sure, to please the PC cult of today.

The industry has no ideas and proof of that is the countless of remastered versions, of past classics.

Think that's a bit myopic if you ask me honestly. MGS: Phantom Pain is a masterpiece in a long line of excellent games directed by Kojima. FF has taken a funny turn for the worse and I do agree that they need to stop being more action oriented and go back to RPG mode but lets face it they are just going with whatever the latest trend is and Square is probably never going to change their stance there. 

The new God of War didn't tone down the violence it just used it far more effectively and has a story that made it win GOTY just for the mere fact that you aren't going around like the hack-and-slash days but have to actually plan the attack or you'd lose terribly. I think anyone that played it will also tell you that it was one of the better games of the last five years given how everyone is now moving these games to a more story driven system with very little in terms of action/adventure. Call of Duty and every other FPS perfectly matches what you're talking about in the fact that there is zero creativity and its just a grind to the finish but as I stated before thats where the industry is going with those games and companies realize thats what they have to do to get there.

As far as the comment of there aren't any real top games out there I totally disagree, we've moved past boxed systems in open-worlds, corridors have become far harder to traverse and the idea that a game has to run on rails and be non-explorable is dead. Look at titles like Red Dead Redemption, Last of Us (i cannot re-iterate how great this title is),  Resident Evil 7, Doom, Limbo, Nier: Automata, Horizon:Zero Dawn, Wolfenstein II, Cuphead, Nioh, Persona, Hollow Knight, Dead Cells, Monster Hunter, Spiderman, Assasins Creed, Octopath, The new Tomb Raider series, etc and the innovation and creativity is hardly dead. And that's just from the last two years alone, mind you all the games I have listed don't require microtrans to get the full experience out of them and are playable as-is so I don't get the statement of there aren't any top games from famous franchises anymore. They are there it just depends on what you're looking for and if it fits into how you like to game. I can't stand FPS games because they get grindy and non-innovative at a point so I stay away and for the most part almost every action-adventure title put out by dev shops like Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studios, Tecmo, Kojima Studios,  etc have been great because they've taken what they were excellent at and morphed it into something both adults and kids would enjoy.

Are there duds out there? Absolutely, it wouldn't be a creative business if there wasn't. But there are some real diamonds in the rough too and not just from Nintendo.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

@ASF, I wasn't reading fully but the last Metal Gear game (Survive) was not Kojima directed at all and was basically Konami on the way to fucking up the series.

In regards to FPS's and shooters in general, the only innovative shooter I can think of recently is, ironically, Nintendo's Splatoon.

That is a great title some would argue that Fortnite is in that class too because of all the building.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Finished Super Mario Odyssey this morning, a fantastic game that deserves all the credit it has received. A few people on here mentioned that it got really hard towards the end but I didn't feel like anything unexpected jumped out, even though the boss battles were challenging in places I never found myself proper raging and stuck on them (with perhaps the exception of the dragon). Proper belly laughed at the ending and have already jumped back to the first kingdom to wrap up all of the moons, it just seems a waste to not complete this 100% (or at the very least in the 90% bracket) when there is just so much effort and hard-work put into the piece. 

Zero glitches or bugs during my playthrough which makes a mockery out of the AAA shite that is being released on Xbox and PlayStation now. Great worlds and colours (I thought that I wouldn't like the Metro Kingdom and it actually turned out to be one of my favourites) and brilliant controls, never did I find myself fighting with the camera or wishing that the buttons could be re-mapped, it's a beautiful and well made game. 

9.5/10. 

When you get done with the moon hunting phase I recommend going out and getting Breath of the Wild its just as good, if not better, than Odyssey.

On 13/01/2019 at 04:54, Mel81x said:

Think that's a bit myopic if you ask me honestly. MGS: Phantom Pain is a masterpiece in a long line of excellent games directed by Kojima. FF has taken a funny turn for the worse and I do agree that they need to stop being more action oriented and go back to RPG mode but lets face it they are just going with whatever the latest trend is and Square is probably never going to change their stance there. 

The new God of War didn't tone down the violence it just used it far more effectively and has a story that made it win GOTY just for the mere fact that you aren't going around like the hack-and-slash days but have to actually plan the attack or you'd lose terribly. I think anyone that played it will also tell you that it was one of the better games of the last five years given how everyone is now moving these games to a more story driven system with very little in terms of action/adventure. Call of Duty and every other FPS perfectly matches what you're talking about in the fact that there is zero creativity and its just a grind to the finish but as I stated before thats where the industry is going with those games and companies realize thats what they have to do to get there.

As far as the comment of there aren't any real top games out there I totally disagree, we've moved past boxed systems in open-worlds, corridors have become far harder to traverse and the idea that a game has to run on rails and be non-explorable is dead. Look at titles like Red Dead Redemption, Last of Us (i cannot re-iterate how great this title is),  Resident Evil 7, Doom, Limbo, Nier: Automata, Horizon:Zero Dawn, Wolfenstein II, Cuphead, Nioh, Persona, Hollow Knight, Dead Cells, Monster Hunter, Spiderman, Assasins Creed, Octopath, The new Tomb Raider series, etc and the innovation and creativity is hardly dead. And that's just from the last two years alone, mind you all the games I have listed don't require microtrans to get the full experience out of them and are playable as-is so I don't get the statement of there aren't any top games from famous franchises anymore. They are there it just depends on what you're looking for and if it fits into how you like to game. I can't stand FPS games because they get grindy and non-innovative at a point so I stay away and for the most part almost every action-adventure title put out by dev shops like Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studios, Tecmo, Kojima Studios,  etc have been great because they've taken what they were excellent at and morphed it into something both adults and kids would enjoy.

Are there duds out there? Absolutely, it wouldn't be a creative business if there wasn't. But there are some real diamonds in the rough too and not just from Nintendo.

If you think that the gaming industry is as good or even better than 15/20 years ago, you're kidding yourself. But each to their own.