talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What are you playing?

football forum

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Switch. Don't have an Xbox One so the announcement earlier in the year was most welcome. 

I think thats the most ideal platform for it honestly. Its a great platformer and has some world RPG elements so a mobile device makes a lot of sense.

3 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I think thats the most ideal platform for it honestly. Its a great platformer and has some world RPG elements so a mobile device makes a lot of sense.

For a game that was considered impossible to port on to Switch, it looks and plays superbly. 

Completed the first world and have moved on to the second. Expecting the difficulty to ramp up though. 

• Subscriber

Just got Dawn of Man today... Only tried the tutorial so far as I still have some work to do today, but it looks good. Starts with a small stone age settlement and the early objectives are the usual hunting and gathering, simple structure and tool building, crafting, tech research covering 10000 years of humanity's evolution and the likes; judging from tutorial it goes quite in depth with that but there are also ways to automate tasks if one is not a fan of micromanaging. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Just got Dawn of Man today... Only tried the tutorial so far as I still have some work to do today, but it looks good. Starts with a small stone age settlement and the early objectives are the usual hunting and gathering, simple structure and tool building, crafting, tech research covering 10000 years of humanity's evolution and the likes; judging from tutorial it goes quite in depth with that but there are also ways to automate tasks if one is not a fan of micromanaging. 

Keep me posted on your progress.. 

5 hours ago, nudge said:

Sounds fun

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Sounds fun

It is! Been playing for about 2 hours now and I've enjoyed it so far... Quite slow paced though, so might not be everyone's cup of tea but I like that as it's more realistic than just progressing through thousands of years of human history in a blink of an eye. 

Very relaxing too. 

• Upvote 1

Just received a text from one of my friends that I play with all the time saying the last time I logged into the Xbox was about a month ago. I knew it'd been a while since I'd last played a game... but that's actually fairly surprising for me. Better log on this weekend to get some use out of my Xbox Live/Game Pass.

3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

If it wasn't for F1 I'd be the same. I struggle to get into games at the minute as I'm so busy :(. It's frustrating too as there's so much I want to play.

Bit similar here, though admittedly it's more that I don't want to play anything if it starts to push a little late after work and doing other things, especially assignment work atm. 

Took me 4 months to finish Resi 2 ffs. 

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

If it wasn't for F1 I'd be the same. I struggle to get into games at the minute as I'm so busy :(. It's frustrating too as there's so much I want to play.

Yeah it's a bit annoying to not have more free time to play games. Lately I've been spending basically all of my free time playing guitar so I've cared less about games, I hadn't realised it had been so long since I even logged into my xbox.

• Subscriber
On 11/07/2019 at 22:00, Bluewolf said:

No not yet, seen a few reviews and some game play and I am tempted... 

I've played it for around 10 hours now and I like it a lot... Didn't expect such depth and complexity. Hunting, fishing, gathering, plant and animal domestication, knowledge gain, good and logical tech tree to research in order to advance further, a lot of things to keep in mind such as food source diversification, change of seasons, food processing, etc. At the same time, it is easy to master - so I think that it will get boring at the later stages. 

5 hours ago, nudge said:

I've played it for around 10 hours now and I like it a lot... Didn't expect such depth and complexity. Hunting, fishing, gathering, plant and animal domestication, knowledge gain, good and logical tech tree to research in order to advance further, a lot of things to keep in mind such as food source diversification, change of seasons, food processing, etc. At the same time, it is easy to master - so I think that it will get boring at the later stages

You would hope that as you progress the challenges become more difficult to keep it interesting, being easy to master is not such a bad thing as long as that does not lead to following the same bog standard routines all the time

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

You would hope that as you progress the challenges become more difficult to keep it interesting, being easy to master is not such a bad thing as long as that does not lead to following the same bog standard routines all the time

Yes we'll see how that goes - I'm currently in the Neolithic era only so still a bit to go until I reach the Iron Age (that's the last one in the game I believe); so far every new era had new challenges even if the basics stayed the same. At any case it's perfect for a casual player like me...

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Yes we'll see how that goes - I'm currently in the Neolithic era only so still a bit to go until I reach the Iron Age (that's the last one in the game I believe); so far every new era had new challenges even if the basics stayed the same. At any case it's perfect for a casual player like me...

Ok.. keep me updated please I would like to know roughly how many hours of gameplay you might expect from it... 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Ok.. keep me updated please I would like to know roughly how many hours of gameplay you might expect from it... 

Will do. It's worth mentioning that this is freeplay that I'm doing now - there is also "challenge mode" which you unlock by reaching certain milestones in the freeplay mode. There are also varying degrees of difficulty in both gameplay and terrain. The hardest one is the frozen terrain apparently and it's a real challenge to survive there!

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Will do. It's worth mentioning that this is freeplay that I'm doing now - there is also "challenge mode" which you unlock by reaching certain milestones in the freeplay mode. There are also varying degrees of difficulty in both gameplay and terrain. The hardest one is the frozen terrain apparently and it's a real challenge to survive there!

Gotcha.. the frozen one sounds quite tough, I should imagine that food would be a challenge in that environment 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Nice :D I see you have  decent little village there with defences in place.. what's the population?? 

Only 44 currently - I wanted to get the infrastructure in place first (food production, clothing & tools, etc.) so I limited the number of the inhabitants. Going to fully focus on increasing the population by constructing more huts now that I have ample supply of food and linen/wool. 

My inner farmer is happy xD 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

Ok, there has been an unexpected turn of events - my little prehistoric village will have to wait... because I got recommended another game and made the mistake of checking it out... and now I'm completely hooked.

Has anyone player The Long Dark??? It's a hardcore open-world survival game where you take the role of a crash-landed bush pilot who must survive the frozen Canadian wilderness in the aftermath of a global geomagnetic disaster.

Honestly I've never played anything like it. I'm in the story mode (in order to learn the game mechanics as there's no tutorial) but there's also a sandbox mode where the whole game worlds are open for you to explore and it's supposed to be the strongest aspect of the game. There are no zombies or anything like that; it's just you in an extremely harsh environment combating the natural elements in order to survive. Hunger, cold, thirst, wildlife. Absolutely amazing - and very challenging. I bled out to death within minutes on my first attempt, died of hypothermia on Day 1 (very realistically portrayed by the way with my vision getting blurry, feeling disoriented, and then passing out) on my second one, and now I'm slowly getting hold of it on my third attempt at last. Very realistic in the sense that even getting fire started is a challenge at first. 

Very eerie, almost haunting landscapes, gorgeous visuals and stylised art, superb soundtrack and brilliant game mechanics. Incredible immersive, slow paced and contemplative. Does a great job of capturing the feeling of struggling to survive in an unforgiving environment... The visuals as well as the sound and immersive atmosphere actually makes you feel cold and hungry and dizzy... What a masterpiece...

@Bluewolf @Mel81x @Dr. Gonzo

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Ok, there has been an unexpected turn of events - my little prehistoric village will have to wait... because I got recommended another game and made the mistake of checking it out... and now I'm completely hooked.

Has anyone player The Long Dark??? It's a hardcore open-world survival game where you take the role of a crash-landed bush pilot who must survive the frozen Canadian wilderness in the aftermath of a global geomagnetic disaster.

Honestly I've never played anything like it. I'm in the story mode (in order to learn the game mechanics as there's no tutorial) but there's also a sandbox mode where the whole game worlds are open for you to explore and it's supposed to be the strongest aspect of the game. There are no zombies or anything like that; it's just you in an extremely harsh environment combating the natural elements in order to survive. Hunger, cold, thirst, wildlife. Absolutely amazing - and very challenging. I bled out to death within minutes on my first attempt, died of hypothermia on Day 1 (very realistically portrayed by the way with my vision getting blurry, feeling disoriented, and then passing out) on my second one, and now I'm slowly getting hold of it on my third attempt at last. Very realistic in the sense that even getting fire started is a challenge at first. 

Very eerie, almost haunting landscapes, gorgeous visuals and stylised art, superb soundtrack and brilliant game mechanics. Incredible immersive, slow paced and contemplative. Does a great job of capturing the feeling of struggling to survive in an unforgiving environment... The visuals as well as the sound and immersive atmosphere actually makes you feel cold and hungry and dizzy... What a masterpiece...

Cheers for the heads up, I will check it out tomorrow... 

• Subscriber

A little update on the Dawn of Man: another 5-6 hours and I reached the Bronze Age (5th out of 6 eras). The game has become reasonably more complex after entering more advanced eras, as more different resources and buildings come into play and raider attacks become more often, so defensive buildings start making sense. That said, I still find it a bit too easy, at least on 'normal' difficulty on a regular map - once you sort out your farming fields and domesticate animals, food scarcity isn't an issue anymore. Resources are plentiful, hunting game meat is abundant, raider attacks are a nuisance but does no serious damage. The biggest challenge so far is increasing the population, but only because it takes time and you actually lose people due to old age, animal & raider attacks, infections and diseases, etc. (that said, you also get newborns to increase the population as well). I personally enjoy it as it still manages to not be boring and I also like the limited scope of a prehistoric town (as compared to other games where you build huge complex cities), but for someone who wants the game to be more challenging it could be problematic (I haven't tried the 'hardcore' difficulty on harsher maps and haven't done any challenges yet though - it's possible that it makes the game hard and just challenging enough!). All in all, it's around 30 hours of play. 

@Bluewolf

• Like 1

• Subscriber
On 14/07/2019 at 05:02, nudge said:

Surprised this didn't get a Switch port it would have been fantastic to play on the go and spend time out in the wilderness surviving. Having said that I bought it on the PSN store today so I'll play it sometime over the week. 

• Like 1