talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What are you playing?

football forum

39 minutes ago, nudge said:

Got The Scroll of Taiwu today... https://store.steampowered.com/app/838350/_The_Scroll_Of_Taiwu/

A Chinese indie open world sandbox RPG where you essentially build up a martial arts clan over generations to try and save the world.; currently in early access and the English translation is in the works but there's an unofficial English mod already so I've downloaded that and while the translation is definitely not perfect, it'll do for now. Just finished the tutorial and started my first save; currently trying to wrap my head around it. Looks very unique, innovative and complex; includes not only regular stuff like battling, crafting, resource gathering, but there are also a lot of other unusual game mechanics. The degree of freedom is mind boggling.

@Mel81x @Dr. Gonzo have you heard about it?

I’ve not heard about it, but it sounds cool

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, nudge said:

Got The Scroll of Taiwu today... https://store.steampowered.com/app/838350/_The_Scroll_Of_Taiwu/

A Chinese indie open world sandbox RPG where you essentially build up a martial arts clan over generations to try and save the world.; currently in early access and the English translation is in the works but there's an unofficial English mod already so I've downloaded that and while the translation is definitely not perfect, it'll do for now. Just finished the tutorial and started my first save; currently trying to wrap my head around it. Looks very unique, innovative and complex; includes not only regular stuff like battling, crafting, resource gathering, but there are also a lot of other unusual game mechanics. The degree of freedom is mind boggling.

@Mel81x @Dr. Gonzo have you heard about it?

It looks quite nice. But it also says native language not supported so will you be playing it in Chinese?

P.S. Never heard about it till you posted it.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Mel81x said:

It looks quite nice. But it also says native language not supported so will you be playing it in Chinese?

P.S. Never heard about it till you posted it.

currently in early access and the English translation is in the works but there's an unofficial English mod already so I've downloaded that and while the translation is definitely not perfect, it'll do for now. 

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, nudge said:

currently in early access and the English translation is in the works but there's an unofficial English mod already so I've downloaded that and while the translation is definitely not perfect, it'll do for now. 

I think you have your Font size on 12, not that it matters but I polished my glasses for a minute and rubbed my eyes.  O.o  xD

• Subscriber
33 minutes ago, nudge said:

Don't worry about it, it might just be my laptop but the above looked like you had typed it in a smaller size (looks like 12?) as my one comes out in size 14, carry on as you have me interested in this thread now, have you found a Chinese board game yet you like, I keep sniffing around and having a look on google. :ay: 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Have put a few hours into it and it is complex af :7_sweat_smile: 

Each character has Natural and Attained attributes. Natural ones are generated during the character creation and can be improved via genetics, reincarnation and the Ancestral Hall building in your Town. The Attained ones are improved by spending experience and time to read books and are transmitted to the next generation via the Taiwu Sword.

Martial art/combat technique training has separate levels for theory and practice. Theory level requires reading books associated with a specific martial art (there's also the difference between original books and copies; some also have missing pages etc.) The training system is very interesting and includes barriers that need to be overcome to be able to continue the training.

FF815FA31C71E4221C539B467A79E2D6EBD0D3AF

21D58F9677FA0F1F352244C9BA27963D95190969

The battle mechanics have enormous amount of factors to consider too.

There are three style of accuracy types that determine whether your attack will hit the target or will be countered:
Forceful Attack(20) is countered by Absorb(12)
Finesse Attack(21) is countered by Counter(13)
Swift Attack(22) is countered by Evasion(14).

Weapons have different attack elements each of them corresponding to an attack type. 

2D0625D548F46AB6058EFDADD27CDA08EDB02AD7

There are both external and internal injuries; as well as poisons that require detoxification/antidotes.

B57523C2BBD730AD5C8EEEA5453410757E54674D

This game is MAD. In a good sense. No wonder it sold over million copies on Steam already despite having no marketing and being created by a hobby coder. Already looking forward to the final release and the official English translation. 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, nudge said:

This game is MAD. In a good sense. No wonder it sold over million copies on Steam already despite having no marketing and being created by a hobby coder. Already looking forward to the final release and the official English translation. 

Bloody hell, I'de rather play snakes & ladders than try and play that. O.o  

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Bloody hell, I'de rather play snakes & ladders than try and play that. O.o  

Hehe I like complex games with a lot of micromanagement; find it very immersive... Don't usually have much time for it though so it's just one or two hours after work every once in a while if I don't have anything else to do.

Nothing wrong with snakes & ladders either! There's a place and time for all kind of games...

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, nudge said:

Hehe I like complex games with a lot of micromanagement; find it very immersive... Don't usually have much time for it though so it's just one or two hours after work every once in a while if I don't have anything else to do.

The 3 grandsons and son & daughter are dab hands at things like that nowadays, I was bought up in the snakes & ladders, ludo etc era, a game of chess or draughs would be my limit or a game of cards.

• Subscriber
Just now, CaaC (John) said:

The 3 grandsons and son & daughter are dab hands at things like that nowadays, I was bought up in the snakes & ladders, ludo etc era, a game of chess or draughs would be my limit or a game of cards.

I mean this is video games we're talking about here :P As for board games, I enjoy both the simpler "classic" ones and the more complex ones depending on the circumstances. 

• Subscriber
26 minutes ago, nudge said:

I mean this is video games we're talking about here :P As for board games, I enjoy both the simpler "classic" ones and the more complex ones depending on the circumstances. 

It's murder playing snakes & ladders with wee Kaiden, he uses the ladders AND the snake's TAILS to climb up and avoids the snake's mouth when throwing the dice and if he knows he is going to land on the snake's mouth he will add a number on to avoid it..."1,2,3...3, 4" O.o :whistling: 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, CaaC (John) said:

It's murder playing snakes & ladders with wee Kaiden, he uses the ladders AND the snake's TAILS to climb up and avoids the snake's mouth when throwing the dice and if he knows he is going to land on the snake's mouth he will add a number on to avoid it..."1,2,3...3, 4" O.o :whistling: 

Cheating little bastard :4_joy:

• Sad 1

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, nudge said:

It's funny though when he is playing snakes & ladders with the wife he won't cheat, he will tell the wife if she has 3 moves "It's ok, grannie, you can have 2 extra moves...I said so" and he will move her counter. :x  

Edited by CaaC (John)

13 minutes ago, nudge said:

Play them at their own game.... when mine were younger I used to count the money out fairly like so... 

One for you ( give them a coin )

One for me ( take a coin ) 

Two for you ( Give them their second coin ) 

One, Two for me ( and I would take 2 coins ) so on and so forth until they get older and cotton on but by then you have a whole raft of other cheats to use on them... 

They will never beat their old dad, I take craftiness to a new level.... B|

Edited by Bluewolf
  • Haha 1

Managed to finish Pokémon Sword in the end and actually quite enjoyed it, despite some of the shortcomings such as the animation being stiff and the graphics effectively being a more high-res 3DS game. 

Doing a bit of assignment work now but hoping to get the Yakuza remastered collection for my birthday in a couple of weeks. Yakuza 3, 4 and 5, then buying 6, got Judgment waiting and then 7 out some time this year. Deary me. 

4 hours ago, nudge said:

Have put a few hours into it and it is complex af :7_sweat_smile: 

Each character has Natural and Attained attributes. Natural ones are generated during the character creation and can be improved via genetics, reincarnation and the Ancestral Hall building in your Town. The Attained ones are improved by spending experience and time to read books and are transmitted to the next generation via the Taiwu Sword.

Martial art/combat technique training has separate levels for theory and practice. Theory level requires reading books associated with a specific martial art (there's also the difference between original books and copies; some also have missing pages etc.) The training system is very interesting and includes barriers that need to be overcome to be able to continue the training.

FF815FA31C71E4221C539B467A79E2D6EBD0D3AF

21D58F9677FA0F1F352244C9BA27963D95190969

The battle mechanics have enormous amount of factors to consider too.

There are three style of accuracy types that determine whether your attack will hit the target or will be countered:
Forceful Attack(20) is countered by Absorb(12)
Finesse Attack(21) is countered by Counter(13)
Swift Attack(22) is countered by Evasion(14).

Weapons have different attack elements each of them corresponding to an attack type. 

2D0625D548F46AB6058EFDADD27CDA08EDB02AD7

There are both external and internal injuries; as well as poisons that require detoxification/antidotes.

B57523C2BBD730AD5C8EEEA5453410757E54674D

Looks hard as fuck, but also looks like it makes for a great RPG

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Looks hard as fuck, but also looks like it makes for a great RPG

Yeah it is very complex and I haven't even started to wrap my head around it all. It looks like a perfect game to play one save for a long time with a pretty slow pace. The learning curve is steep; I did the tutorial yesterday (six parts) and thought "ok; this is not too difficult"... but then I started a proper new game and realised how wrong I was xD overwhelmed with the level of details. The universe is expansive and very immersive and there's sooooo much to do! It's sort of a combination of RPG - management - simulation - strategy - roguelike and who knows what other genres; it feels very unique in that sense.

It's an early access so there's obviously parts of it that are still very raw around the edges but even at this stage there's an insane amount of content already. I believe the full version - and hopefully a proper English language localisation for international players - will make this game a huge hit.

The people behind the unofficial English mod did an amazing job too; it definitely makes the game playable but it's obviously not perfect.

Some of the translations are perfect while some other are ....ummmm.... hilarious :D

IMG_20200219_021338.jpg

• Haha 2

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, nudge said:

Yeah it is very complex and I haven't even started to wrap my head around it all. It looks like a perfect game to play one save for a long time with a pretty slow pace. The learning curve is steep; I did the tutorial yesterday (six parts) and thought "ok; this is not too difficult"... but then I started a proper new game and realised how wrong I was xD overwhelmed with the level of details. The universe is expansive and very immersive and there's sooooo much to do! It's sort of a combination of RPG - management - simulation - strategy - roguelike and who knows what other genres; it feels very unique in that sense.

It's an early access so there's obviously parts of it that are still very raw around the edges but even at this stage there's an insane amount of content already. I believe the full version - and hopefully a proper English language localisation for international players - will make this game a huge hit.

The people behind the unofficial English mod did an amazing job too; it definitely makes the game playable but it's obviously not perfect.

Some of the translations are perfect while some other are ....ummmm.... hilarious :D

IMG_20200219_021338.jpg

Looks like a nice game and definitely one of the more complex RPGs out there but I suppose thats the point of it really? Curious to see how you get on in about a month's time when things are leveled up and progressing nicely.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

While I doubt I'll get it first thing tomorrow, Two Point Hospital is out on consoles. Question is, do I go for possible performance (PS4) or portability (Switch)? 

I'd probably get it for Switch tbh. Looks a fun game to be able to take with you anywhere.

I finished A Plague Tale last night. Really good game, really nice final boss fight too - enjoyed it. Another game I probably might not have tried out if not for Gamepass that I was really happy that I tried.

Next on my list is Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun - a game that looks really interesting and has received loads of good reviews. And it looks nice a cool take on the strategy genre. Apparently the story is very compelling us well. I've got pretty high hopes for it, so I'm looking forward to it.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'd probably get it for Switch tbh. Looks a fun game to be able to take with you anywhere.

I finished A Plague Tale last night. Really good game, really nice final boss fight too - enjoyed it. Another game I probably might not have tried out if not for Gamepass that I was really happy that I tried.

Next on my list is Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun - a game that looks really interesting and has received loads of good reviews. And it looks nice a cool take on the strategy genre. Apparently the story is very compelling us well. I've got pretty high hopes for it, so I'm looking forward to it.

I'm tempted to go for Switch but if I've read it correctly, the engine it uses can struggle to run well on Switch and considering they're the same prices, I'd rather get the one that runs better. However, if they run just as well as each other, Switch will take it. 

I've heard A Plagues Tale was meant to be good. May give it a shot someday. 

1 minute ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I'm tempted to go for Switch but if I've read it correctly, the engine it uses can struggle to run well on Switch and considering they're the same prices, I'd rather get the one that runs better. However, if they run just as well as each other, Switch will take it. 

I've heard A Plagues Tale was meant to be good. May give it a shot someday. 

Oh if it runs like crap on the Switch, I change my opinion xD

Yeah, I really enjoyed the game, I can recommend it pretty highly if you like games like Last of Us.

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Didn't know they had a console version of this honestly. Bought this on Steam a while back and thought it was quite enjoyable when I played through it. But as I was playing I stumbled on Battle Chasers: Nightwar and then I left it for a bit. 

Edited by Mel81x