talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What are you playing?

football forum

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Panflute said:

I worded that wrong, I don't have a Switch sadly. I played a lot of Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U though.

How is Doom on the Switch? I played it on the PC and it was an amazing game without any weak moments.

I highly recommend Doom on the PC over any other version personally. That game was never meant to be played with a controller or on a TV. The Switch version was an impulse purchase and while its nice it does have moments where it stutters a bit. Plus the control schema does take a bit of getting used to. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Doom dissapointed me in truth, agree that it was more of a PC game.

Thought more than the mechanics it had a fantastic grungy sound. If you haven't already try the new Wolfenstein.

Edited by Mel81x

10 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Only £10 on Amazon and it's well worth that. 

In stages I thought that it was a fantastic game it just didn't keep me interested enough from start to finish. So much so that I think I'm two or three missions from the end but can't be arsed actually seeing it through. 

I've had it since mid 2016. xD

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2018 at 23:39, Dr. Gonzo said:

A friend of mine convinced me to buy Mutant Football League to play with him. Pretty cheap for a very fun game - it's an American football game. But you have 7 players on a side at any given moment in time. You can also beat the shit out of the players after each play - and you can actually kill players on the other side. If you kill enough players, you can win the game by making the other team forfeit. You can use things called "Dirty Tricks" to do things like bribe the referee, take steroids, use shotguns, use bombs, and shit like that.

All in all, it makes for one of the most fun sports games I've ever played. Definitely the best iteration of American football I've ever seen. The commentary is hilarious too.

I bought this game after reading this, and it's really fun. It has the Pick Up And Play aspect of Rocket League.

As I don't know the rules of American football, it took me a few matches to get used to it, but by now I've already completed a season and it's not boring yet. I also love how all the teams have a different feel to them. 

Also, the commentary reminds me of Most Extreme Elimination Challenge, which is always a plus.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Recently re-discovered Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom, one of the best - if not THE best - city builder games from the legendary Sierra series. It got me absolutely hooked again. I used to love both Pharaoh and Caesar, but this is great on a completely different level for me. If anyone could recommend any similar games, I'd appreciate it.

I used to spend hours on Ceaser 3 and age of empires. Quality games. 

And then command and conquerer tiberian son too. Very addictive games. I would’ve been pretty young then too, PC strategy games are real lost gems.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

https://www.huntshowdown.com/

Decided to give this a try with Early Access just because when I saw it demoed at a gameshow it had extremely good promise. That and the fact that its a Crytek game so theres definitely going to be some visual/mechanics goodness in there somewhere. From what I am hearing the servers are buggy and keep dropping games but its early doors so I expect that to improve immensely. Anyone else trying to play this now?

Just beat Gears of War 4 last night. If you like the Gears of War series... it's a good game. I thought it was the best one since the first one. I gave the multiplayer a spin because I used to like that (around 10 years ago or whenever the first one came out). Got totally fucking wrecked lol.

I started the Mad Max game and... HOLY SHIT! It's actually pretty fucking good, I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. Even though it can be a bit repetitive (although I think most open world games do tbh).

Just now, Cannabis said:

I really should do Gears 4. Loved the first one, thought the second one was class but hated the third and didn't bother with Judgement. I haven't touched 4 at all but I've heard nothing but praise since it's release. 

I liked the first 3 (and the 3rd is the weakest) but I think Judgment is 100% poo. Gears 4 is quality though and if you like the series, I think chances are you'll enjoy the campaign. And if you like the multiplayer, it's supposed to be the best iteration of it (which... it should be, considering it's the 5th Gears game lol).

49 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Halo should have died ages ago. Guardians was absolutely bollocks. 

1, 2 and Recon were decent but 3, 4 and ODST were very average.

The multiplayer in Halo 5 was fucking excellent imo. But the campaign was dogshit.

Tbh, I never really liked Halo's campaigns - I know a lot of people do. Just struck me as standard FPS in space and stuff. For some reason, I found the Gears campaigns much more compelling. I love Halo multiplayer though, and when they make the multiplayer good... it's really good. I played Halo 5 multiplayer a shitload for about 2 years after it came out and every once in a while jump on it. Absolutely love that game for it's multiplayer & with 5, the game skips a lot of the shite that made me hate Halo ODST/Reach/4 multiplayer and goes a bit closer to its roots. The only thing I don't really like about Halo 5's online is the Spartan charge... and (while some people love it), I can't be arsed with the Warzone mode - Arena all day for me.

So I hope the Halo series doesn't die any time soon. Because there are quite a few people like me who absolutely love the series for it's multiplayer... and can't really be arsed with the campaigns (I'll always play the Halo campaigns... but it's secondary in the purchase of the game for me). If they keep the multiplayer strong, I'm always down for a bit of Halo. My preferred console FPS by far, for multiplayer at least.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

I did quite like Halo Reach's campaign. Plenty of memorable environments and I liked the sense of foreboding of knowing it wasn't going to end well. Halo: CE's campaign dragged on for way too long though, and I never finished it in like 3 attempts. 

I played Gears 4 multiplayer almost all weekend and I've gotten a lot better lol. It's a fun game online, I never played 2 or 3 online and I only played a bit of the original online. But I'm now enjoying Gears 4 now that I'm not routinely getting destroyed.

Right, I've completed Yakuza 0 on legend difficulty and do not intend to come back to it for some time (basically all I can do is play mini games to 100% the game and collecting PSN trophies, neither of which I can be arsed to do).

Looking to start on the Shadow of the Colossus remake. Then Yakuza Kiwami. xD

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Cannabis said:

I had a Game Pass 14 day trial that I got when I bought my XB1X and never used so I've redeemed it and with it installed Sea of Thieves. If it's gash, then I haven't paid a penny and if it's brilliant I'll pick it up off Amazon. 

I'm cautiously excited about this. Nobody that I know is getting it so I'll have to play against randoms if I want to have a crew but that's something that I'm open to. Joining strangers on FIFA and COD would be unheard of but I think this is where SOT is unique. 

I liked the idea when it was revealed but I really wonder how much it will catch on much like I was enamored with No Man's Sky until it turned into the steaming pile of shit that it did. You'll have to let me know how this one turns out.

I've been playing Sea of Thieves with some friends from work - it's a blast with friends. There's not a whole lot of stuff to do in the world tbh, though they say they're going to add more - don't know if I would have been happy to pay full price for it, but I got the Xbox Game Pass because I could see myself buying 2 Microsoft Studios games this year so it's worth it imo.

The most fun we've had in a game so far is fucking with a duo squad that attempted one of the raids. We rolled up on the raid island in our galleon and joined in the battle with the skeletons and in the final wave, the duo started attacking my crew (of 4). They killed 2 couple of us, and then I went back to our galleon with the other survivor and we grabbed the powder kegs we'd been hoarding & snuck onto their sloop. We filled the hull of their ship with the powder kegs, spaced out up to the stairs leading down to the hull so we could shoot it and make a chain reaction. We then jumped back onto the island to start killing the fuckers who killed our friends, while the other two respawned and sniped one of the powder kegs which created a pretty awesome explosion.

We then ended up killing the skeleton that drops the key for the loot, killed those two fuckers, and got the entire treasure for ourselves to turn in at the nearest outpost. As we were leaving, the sloop came back for us to try to have their revenge. And we had a pretty cool sea battle and sunk the cunts again.

And with game chat, you can chat shite to the people you're playing against.

Fan-fucking-tastic experience, even with the limited content available right now. But it is very much dependent on 1.) having people to play, 2.) those people being fun to play video games with lol. There's a lot of people on the internet who are really hating on the game and Rare right now - and I think some of their complaints are valid. There really isn't a whole lot of content right now. Which doesn't mean it's not an enjoyable game, because I've had a lot of fun, but it's definitely a game that has the potential to disappoint solo players.

The game has fantastic potential though. It's a great sandbox, it just doesn't have as many toys in the sandbox to play with. So right now the enjoyability of the game is pretty dependent on the community (as well as the crew you've got). Chances are, whenever I play, I'll be playing with the same crew of people I played with last night... so I think it'll be a great game for me. But I'm also hoping they add more to the game to help it unlock it's full potential.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 14:17, Cannabis said:

Played about an hour. First impressions is that it's really good, I love sailing the ship but I'm a bit confused on what to do at the minute. Hopefully it gets clearer the more I play. 

There are 3 people you can buy voyages from. The Gold Hoarder guy in a tent, the Merchants Guilds on the docks, and the group I forget the name of buy I remember it's got something to do with Souls. I want to say Book of Souls, but that's Iron Maiden. The gold hoarder voyages are the ones that tell you to find a treasure chest, merchants want you to find pigs or chickens to bring back to them, and the souls quests are the ones where you go assassinate a dead pirate and bring his skull back.

After you reach level 5 reputation for each of those groups, you'll be able to talk to the mysterious man at the taverns. I'm not level 5 in all groups, so I don't actually know what happens next.

A little trick for viewing the map while you're on the boat, if you don't want to go under deck is to either, look down and behind the drivers wheel off the back of a sloop - that should give you a clear view of the map (particularly handy if you're on a sloop just by yourself) & on the galleon you can view the map from the deck through the grating above the map (it's a bit trickier). With a full galleon you might not need to use that little shortcut, but if you need 3 people manning the sails and someone steering for whatever reason

When you're going to disembark onto an island, I recommend avoiding dropping your anchor whenever possible. When leave our ship behind as we go to an island, we generally only will drop the anchor if we've fucked up and are about to hit the island (or rocks around the island). Instead it's much easier to raise all of the sails (you can leave one down if you want to navigate to a particular part of the island, so you're still moving forward a bit but you get much more control over your turning radius) - when you've got all sails fully up and have the wheel dead centre (the controller should vibrate a bit on the right gold peg indicating your at dead center), the ship will stop. That means if you need to quickly get the fuck off an island, or escape a pirate ship that's scoped you out and coming straight for you there's no need to spend time raising the anchor. You can drop the sails, get people on the cannons, and get the fuck out of there.

But that doesn't mean you'll never need the anchor. The anchor is really useful for doing some really sharp turns. You basically drop it and have to immediately raise it though - which isn't great with the sloops.

I can't think of any other tips/stuff to help you get started off the top of my head right now - but if I discover more, I'll let you know :91_thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I've been trying out Sea of Thieves on my own to get to grips with what's going on before playing with others. I've just done my first voyage alone and whilst I agree there isn't much to do yet, Rare have promised a lot of content to be added so here's to hoping. 

I must say I shit myself when I was sitting down for tea with my girlfriend and heard a cannonball hit my ship from the next room xD

xD to that last bit, that's hilarious.

Yeah I'm also hopeful they'll add more stuff - the good thing is what little content there is right now is enjoyable. And what's kept things fresh is the interactions you have with the people playing the game that aren't in your crew. I got to grips with the game because I played the Alpha & the Betas, my friends and I have a brief bit more familiarity with bits of the game (like raising the sails & straightening out the wheel over using the anchor).

If you ever want to have a bit of a laugh, get a powder keg and bring it to an outpost. Then leave the powder keg around one of the 3 people that give you voyages & the rewards for completing them. Then wait around for people to bring their shit back to turn in for gold and blow the powder keg up... & turn in their chests/animals/skulls and laugh. The explosion can kill the chickens and piggies though, unfortunately... so there's a chance you won't get any cash from doing that. But it's still a funny thing you can do.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

32 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Thanks mate, the tip you have me about looking behind the anchor at the map rather than running downstairs is a life saver xD.

I was following my own advice with the anchor on the sloop and I ended up marooning myself on an island because I didn't realize my ship would keep sailing xD - then when I took the mermaid back to my ship it was sinking and there was a crew of 4 on my ship who immediately killed me. Lesson learned.