talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What are you playing?

football forum

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Surprised this didn't get a Switch port it would have been fantastic to play on the go and spend time out in the wilderness surviving. Having said that I bought it on the PSN store today so I'll play it sometime over the week. 

Let me know what you think once you check it out...I spent quite a few hours playing it over the weekend; love it. Although it can be frustrating; I was pretty pissed off yesterday when I was exploring some abandoned cars looking for useful stuff only to turn around and get attacked by a wolf...right after getting out of the ravine and surviving a heavy storm. Just shows how you can never feel safe and turn your guard down in a survival situation I guess xD  

Apparently when it was first released, there was only the sandbox mode so those who played it at the beginning were just thrown right into it and had to figure it out all by themselves. Story mode (called Wintermute) which was released later apparently failed to impress those who played the sandbox initially, but as someone completely new to the game, I'm enjoying it a lot, especially since it serves as a tutorial (you basically get objectives to complete) to what seems like an extremely tough and challenging game. Can't wait to delve into the survival open world mode once I get the most out of the story mode; it's endless fun. Some people have clocked hundreds or even thousands (!) of hours, madness...

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Let me know what you think once you check it out...I spent quite a few hours playing it over the weekend; love it. Although it can be frustrating; I was pretty pissed off yesterday when I was exploring some abandoned cars looking for useful stuff only to turn around and get attacked by a wolf...right after getting out of the ravine and surviving a heavy storm. Just shows how you can never feel safe and turn your guard down in a survival situation I guess xD  

Apparently when it was first released, there was only the sandbox mode so those who played it at the beginning were just thrown right into it and had to figure it out all by themselves. Story mode (called Wintermute) which was released later apparently failed to impress those who played the sandbox initially, but as someone completely new to the game, I'm enjoying it a lot, especially since it serves as a tutorial (you basically get objectives to complete) to what seems like an extremely tough and challenging game. Can't wait to delve into the survival open world mode once I get the most out of the story mode; it's endless fun. Some people have clocked hundreds or even thousands (!) of hours, madness...

Had to double check if it was made by one infamous games studio called Hello Games. Once i saw that it wasn't I put it in the queue haha. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

Had to double check if it was made by one infamous games studio called Hello Games. Once i saw that it wasn't I put it in the queue haha. 

Ah, you got the No Man's Sky vibes here? xD 

Nah it's made by the Hinterland Studio, an independent Canadian game studio. I don't think they have released any other games prior to this one... What I found interesting is the fact that the Department of Canadian Heritage were the main financial backers of this project.

• Subscriber
34 minutes ago, nudge said:

Ah, you got the No Man's Sky vibes here? xD 

Nah it's made by the Hinterland Studio, an independent Canadian game studio. I don't think they have released any other games prior to this one... What I found interesting is the fact that the Department of Canadian Heritage were the main financial backers of this project.

Yes no more of that rubbish please (with regards to No Man's Sky). As for the rest I did some reading and people have indeed poured some ridiculous time into it as well. I can't wait to give it a try and see how hooked I get. I played a very indie game sometime last year called They Are Billions and at first I said to myself I'll just play it for kicks then I got really agitated when I realized the zombies were literally trying to dick me over and so I'd plan only to consistently fail no matter how much good progress I thought I had made.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, nudge said:

A little update on the Dawn of Man: another 5-6 hours and I reached the Bronze Age (5th out of 6 eras). The game has become reasonably more complex after entering more advanced eras, as more different resources and buildings come into play and raider attacks become more often, so defensive buildings start making sense. That said, I still find it a bit too easy, at least on 'normal' difficulty on a regular map - once you sort out your farming fields and domesticate animals, food scarcity isn't an issue anymore. Resources are plentiful, hunting game meat is abundant, raider attacks are a nuisance but does no serious damage. The biggest challenge so far is increasing the population, but only because it takes time and you actually lose people due to old age, animal & raider attacks, infections and diseases, etc. (that said, you also get newborns to increase the population as well). I personally enjoy it as it still manages to not be boring and I also like the limited scope of a prehistoric town (as compared to other games where you build huge complex cities), but for someone who wants the game to be more challenging it could be problematic (I haven't tried the 'hardcore' difficulty on harsher maps and haven't done any challenges yet though - it's possible that it makes the game hard and just challenging enough!). All in all, it's around 30 hours of play. 

@Bluewolf

At least it's keeping things reasonably interesting as you move along.. 

Although I would be more than happy to plough my fields for seeding and gathering wood for the winter I think I would start getting itchy feet.. my hair would grow longer, I would hear the howling of the wolf in the distance and wonder what plunder awaits me over yonder hill, I would wear thick bear skin coats and the skull of a dead ram on my head and put beads in my beard and paint my face... I would be all moody walking around camp growling at people while waving around my pointy spear trying to be the dominant male... There is only so much satisfaction I could get shouting and waving my fist out of my hut window "oi!! get orf my land" :farmer:

Throwing potatoes at raiders while I watch them trample all over my corn and making off with my sheep before I felt the calling of something greater, An army perhaps to crush my enemies, steal their livestock, enslave their women and expand my empire... 

I had a vision.... it came to me in the night

Image result for caveman warrior gif

Edited by Bluewolf
  • Haha 1

On 10/07/2019 at 19:14, Bluebird Hewitt said:

For a game that was considered impossible to port on to Switch, it looks and plays superbly. 

Completed the first world and have moved on to the second. Expecting the difficulty to ramp up though. 

It has a fair bit (especially that pissing dragon) but have completed the second world. Done two of the bosses on world three so not too shabby so far. 

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

All of my friends have been raving about a game called "Outer Wilds" so I started the install of it before I left home today. Going to check it out tonight. 

Looks like something I'd enjoy...

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Everyone I know who's played it (granted, it's a sample size of 4 lol) has said it's a really great game

I like the idea of the Groundhog day-like scenario; a unique concept I haven't seen in gaming. And there's also space...what's not to like haha. 

Keep us updated once you check it out.

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

I like the idea of the Groundhog day-like scenario; a unique concept I haven't seen in gaming. And there's also space...what's not to like haha. 

Keep us updated once you check it out.

I probably won't check it out until tomorrow (or very late tonight after I get back from a concert and I'll probably be very tired... and very drunk). But I'll keep you posted. Although this weekend, I may be preoccupied with trying to make peoples heads explode into a red goo while trying out the new Gears of War 5 tech test...

But I'll check it out soon and keep you posted, definitely.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

I probably won't check it out until tomorrow (or very late tonight after I get back from a concert and I'll probably be very tired... and very drunk). But I'll keep you posted. Although this weekend, I may be preoccupied with trying to make peoples heads explode into a red goo while trying out the new Gears of War 5 tech test...

But I'll check it out soon and keep you posted, definitely.

No worries, I still have The Long Dark to entertain me (or piss me off) after work so I'm not in a hurry for new games anyway :D 

On 18/07/2019 at 13:58, nudge said:

No worries, I still have The Long Dark to entertain me (or piss me off) after work so I'm not in a hurry for new games anyway :D 

Never played a game like it before. It’s fun, pretty relaxing tbh because I really have no idea what I’m doing so I’ve just been exploring the solar system in the game. I’ve played for about an hour and I’ve had 4 hilarious deaths due to my really shit piloting xD - the best one so far was me taking pictures of planets and drifting into the sun.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Haha 1

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Never played a game like it before. It’s fun, pretty relaxing tbh because I really have no idea what I’m doing so I’ve just been exploring the solar system in the game. I’ve played for about an hour and I’ve had 4 hilarious deaths due to my really shit piloting xD - the best one so far was me taking pictures of planets and drifting into the sun.

Will check it out today or tomorrow then...Sounds good.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Will check it out today or tomorrow then...Sounds good.

One tip I have for early on in the game is talking to everyone and reading everything on the home planet. I didn’t do that and missed out on basic tutorial stuff that left me very confused in my first two lives. 

I’ve still basically done nothing so far in the game. Ive gone to planets and found stuff buT I still have to actually figure out what I’m doing. I’m having fun though, so I think it’s a good game and it’ll probably be better once I make some progress 

• Upvote 1

@nudge - I don’t want to give away any spoilers because I think part of the magic of the game is going in blind and figuring stuff out on your own. But I made some decent progress yesterday and after hours of playing and making that serious progress... I noticed a poster in the ship. Right behind your space suit is a poster you’ll see once you put the suit on and it explains the different things you can use one of your tools for.

AND HOLY SHIT, it’s incredibly useful information that has managed to change my approach slightly and keep me alive better (I’m still dying constantly in hilarious ways, mind you). Your two other tools are a bit more obvious, especially the translator.

Great game though, I now understand the rave reviews and fully agree with them.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

@nudge - I don’t want to give away any spoilers because I think part of the magic of the game is going in blind and figuring stuff out on your own. But I made some decent progress yesterday and after hours of playing and making that serious progress... I noticed a poster in the ship. Right behind your space suit is a poster you’ll see once you put the suit on and it explains the different things you can use one of your tools for.

AND HOLY SHIT, it’s incredibly useful information that has managed to change my approach slightly and keep me alive better (I’m still dying constantly in hilarious ways, mind you). Your two other tools are a bit more obvious, especially the translator.

Great game though, I now understand the rave reviews and fully agree with them.

Well you fully convinced me... Downloading it now as I type this. Will probably check it out tonight after work!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Well you fully convinced me... Downloading it now as I type this. Will probably check it out tonight after work!

The only warning I have is be prepared for a couple of “what the fuck am I doing?” moments of frustration early on, because it doesn’t really hold the player’s hand at all - once you’ve got access to the ship the game basically says “off you go, have fun” and leaves you to figure it all out. And I think as long as you’re prepared for that, as it’s a game of trial and error, it shouldn’t be too frustrating. I also think my vague and (relatively) spoiler free tips will prove to be pretty handy and have you avoid dying early on in some of the stupid ways I killed myself.

Those are about as much details about the game as I want to give, to be honest. Because so much of the game is really just about solving mysteries, I think it’d be a shame to ruin any details for you or anyone else on here. Avoid looking shit up or anything, because it’s just so enjoyable getting past the parts you were stuck

But I think you’ll love the game. It’s part space exploration (and the planets and moons are all great, although some are merciless - but the planets are so well designed and fun to explore), part detective game, part Groundhog Day.

Without a doubt the best game I’ve played in 2019.

And if anyone cares, Gears of War 5’s tech test is pretty decent, although the servers have been wonky as fuck. But I haven’t cared too much because this game is too good xD

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

That’s a bit shit, but it’ll still be a great game by the time you’ve got your new computer, so no real loss

Yeah I was going to get one just for that new Star Wars game coming out in November but now I have one more excuse :D 

On 18/07/2019 at 21:06, Bluebird Hewitt said:

It has a fair bit (especially that pissing dragon) but have completed the second world. Done two of the bosses on world three so not too shabby so far. 

And with that, world three is done, the dice man has rolled his last breath and the devil may now cry. Cuphead completed and it was very good from beginning to end, ramping the bosses up as you get close to the end. 

Think it's time for Mario Maker 2. 

football forum

Had a go of The Long Dark as a few people on here rate it. Enjoyed the little but that I played, nearly died of hypothermia at the very beginning but managed to find a cabin with a bunkbed to sleep in and get some shelter. 

Ended up finding some gloves, pants and a coat to keep myself warm but was really struggling to find something to eat. Ended up crossing a wooden bridge and (foolishly) was looking around rather than where I was going, one of the wooden pieces were missing and I fell a great distance to my death. The game told me that I died due to injuries sustained in the fall so I might not have died on impact, a nasty way to go. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, ... said:

Had a go of The Long Dark as a few people on here rate it. Enjoyed the little but that I played, nearly died of hypothermia at the very beginning but managed to find a cabin with a bunkbed to sleep in and get some shelter. 

Ended up finding some gloves, pants and a coat to keep myself warm but was really struggling to find something to eat. Ended up crossing a wooden bridge and (foolishly) was looking around rather than where I was going, one of the wooden pieces were missing and I fell a great distance to my death. The game told me that I died due to injuries sustained in the fall so I might not have died on impact, a nasty way to go. 

You're playing it in the survival mode, I take it? Have you tried the story mode yet? The wolves are the worst thing in it :censored::40_rage: 

football forum
10 hours ago, nudge said:

You're playing it in the survival mode, I take it? Have you tried the story mode yet? The wolves are the worst thing in it :censored::40_rage: 

Yeah, thought it would be the perfect game to jump into first time without any assistance. I'll go back and do story mode now that I've had a go :).