talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What are you playing?

football forum

38 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I was thinking I should spend my money next on Mario Kart but I think I'll go back to PC for a while with the new W4K installment until the new Fire Emblem comes out in May. What a shame it isn't coming to the Switch ... typical Nintendo.

Depending on your console preference at present, I cannot recommend Mario Kart 8 higher than I already have, especially if you never played it on Wii U.

All the DLC (so 16 extra tracks and at least 6 new characters, excluding Switch exclusive characters, finished with extra karts) and a proper battle mode on top of a superb base game makes it a must buy for me.

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Depending on your console preference at present, I cannot recommend Mario Kart 8 higher than I already have, especially if you never played it on Wii U.

All the DLC (so 16 extra tracks and at least 6 new characters, excluding Switch exclusive characters, finished with extra karts) and a proper battle mode on top of a superb base game makes it a must buy for me.

My initial thought when I saw it was yes I will be getting it on day one but I've kind of neglected my PC for a bit and I used to play a lot of Overwatch there. Saw W4K and said its been a while since I sat down to play a proper strategy game. I think Mario Kart is going to be a fantastic addition to the Switch because of the social aspect of it and the JoyCon being split between two or four players as well so I might pick it up in May but for now I am thinking PC is where I'll be for a while. I blame Nier because if I hadn't gotten it on Steam I'd probably have gotten MK for the Switch. 

On 19/04/2017 at 0:40 AM, Mel81x said:

Someone really likes the new Zelda

I basically don't play games any more or only occasionally but Zelda games are n normally pretty engrossing. This is definitely up there though even by their high standards. 

Did anyone get into the new platformer Yooka-Laylee? It's a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie and the old collectathon 3D platformers of the N64 era, made by much of the old Rareware crew. So far it plays excellent, although reportedly it is quite short.

Edited by Panflute

Just now, Cannabis said:

I did, bought it for PlayStation 4 so that I can play it with the girlfriend. 

I love it and the fact that we're playing in one week shifts means that it'll probably last quite a while. Banjo Kazooie was one of the games of my childhood so it's great to have a spiritual successor out and about.

Yeah, it's crazy how similar this game feels, all the way from the music to the character design to the meta humor and gameplay. It makes me sad about how Rare was relegated to a Kinect shovelware factory.

4 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

It's great isn't it? It's literally Banjo Kazooie just with a whole host of new characters and levels, the nostalgia is brilliant. 

As for Rare I'm with you on that one too, for what it's worth I actually enjoyed Kinect Sports 1 & 2 but I hate how they put all their eggs in one basket where Kinect is concerned, hopefully they can bounce back with Yooka-Leylee and the upcoming Sea of Thieves. 

Well, Yooka-Laylee was made by a different company (Playtonic) that has a lot of old Rare employees, hence the new IP.

For now I just hope they can release some expansions for this game and possibly make a sequel.

On 02/05/2017 at 7:01 AM, Panflute said:

As for Zelda, I'll get it for the Wii U in a few weeks. Looks really interesting. Free roaming is what the series has desperately been needing for a long time.

Yeah it's great. Talking to my brother in law who's further ahead than me in the game we're comparing stories and finding we're overcoming challenges in completely different ways... there is literally no one way of doing any part of the game. There's ten ways to get anywhere. Ten ways to kill anything. Dozens of different philosophies to playing. 

You start in the middle of the map and hoi whichever direction you want from the start,  including going straight to the castle to take on the end boss with only 3 hearts. 

It can be frustrating tho because sometimes you do something difficult or go off on a big tangent and you assume the payoff for getting to the end will be worth your while. But it could just be you took the shitty  way of getting there and you get squat for it even if you used up half your arrows or potions to do it. 

The nintendo switch though. I'll play on my tv at night and pull out from the cradle in the morning and take it on the train...  nice and compact.... you don't realise how convenient that is until you've tried it. I'll want that from every future system now. 

• Upvote 1

On 02/05/2017 at 6:59 AM, Panflute said:

Did anyone get into the new platformer Yooka-Laylee? It's a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie and the old collectathon 3D platformers of the N64 era, made by much of the old Rareware crew. So far it plays excellent, although reportedly it is quite short.

Microsoft ruined Rare. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Played the new Prey today from Bethesda. For all the hype it nearly generated the game disappoints in the FPS level. I'd have imagined with the other game about space aliens (Doom) that they'd have gone with a far more action oriented adventure style game but so far it seems dull and slow. The skill tree is very nice and the fact that you can create weapons and fabricate stuff is a nice novelty but I can't see this being anything other than a game I play now and then to see how far it goes. People are comparing it to BioShock, SystemShock and Deus Ex but I can't see how they draw those parallels when those games kept you engaged from the start.

Persona 5 on the other hand is high-octane fun.

Edited by Mel81x

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Have you bought Prey or is your review based on the demo? I haven't got it myself but was considering picking it up.

I bought it. It gets a lot more interesting later on but it just feels laggy for some reason. I am going to play it through and see whether it gets better.

Edited by Mel81x

• Subscriber

So after playing Prey for a while now I can say its a lot better than I initially hoped it would be. The survivor style action gaming is good and its not going to be a GOTY by any means but its entertaining enough to keep you playing.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Currently playing INSIDE on the Xbox One which is the second game from Playdead after the infamous LIMBO. I'm about three hours in and loving it so far, it plays very much like Limbo and whilst the story hasn't been revealed yet (nobody speaks) you can tell something massive is waiting for me at the end. I'll probably get it wrapped up before the weekend before diving into YouTube for the conspiracy theories like I did with Limbo. 

Has anyone else done this game?

Played it last year and think I even posted about it on the old forum. Its a great game in my book because it creates the environments well, game mechanics aren't overtly hard to grasp and the puzzle-oriented gameplay keeps you engaged. The only gripe I have with this and Limbo are that they're just too damn short. If I am not wrong this one actually worked its way up the ladder to a GOTY award nomination too and they rightfully deserve it. 

• Subscriber
52 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Finished INSIDE. Great game but my head is mashed from that ending. I can't decide whether it was a real letdown or brilliant because I just can't decide what I think it all means. Overall I think LIMBO was better but Inside for me would defiantly get a 9/10 which means it isn't too shabby at all, I'm going to go back and get all of the collectables (I only found one on my own) before putting it on the shelf.

What did you think the ending meant @Mel81x?

I think once you get to the tank it goes haywire because I was confused as to why the boy would even go there. The last part even gets weirder when you start to smash through stuff and then it ends so abruptly that you're left wondering about why they'd end it that way. From what I can gather the boy is simply going home to help the blob get out of the facility and to free it. Once that happens the sole purpose of that blob is to escape the facility but I think even that fails in the end. So many parts of this game make no sense.

• The sound area
  • The water area
  • The whole woods area at the start of the game and how animals are just lying around and the guys are chasing you

In the end I think they really just threw a slew of ideas together to make a game that was good and then at the end they needed to end it in a way that would leave the players thinking about what the game was really about. Don't get me wrong the whole mind-control thing was very nice as a puzzle element but that's pretty much where it ends from a real story perspective. Did you see the alternate ending? If you haven't go take a look on YouTube its also very strange and you'll see why when the end happens. 

P.S. I wanted to put this in spoiler tags but couldn't figure it out.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Azeem98 said:

Grim Fandango Remastered ! quite fun to play if you like point and click adventure games

I played the original a long time ago and that other classic Day of the Tentacle. Masterpieces.