talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other PL Round 14 Fixtures - Saturday 29th October, 2022

football forum

21 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Lucky I was working today, I don't think I could have sat through the first half let alone the whole 90 minutes... 'We had chances' Just failed to take any as per usual and why won't be winning anything this season... 

It was a disaster,  the Kepa express landed today.   brighton press well but you kept trying to play out the back and they kept winning it.   Chelsea have massive problems,  a lot of that squad are just simply now worth their cheques their arses cashed. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good response to the colossal embarrassment of last week 

First half I thought we were excellent. The second half I got nervous when we were sitting back but we were aggressive when we needed to be and were worthy of a 1-0 victory.

On a side note the obsession that Southampton fans have with Wilfried Zaha is one of the weirdest things going in football. It all stems from a red card he got in January 2019 and all you hear them chant before the game, during the game and after the game is songs about Wilfired Zaha. They desperately and I mean desperately need to play Portsmouth regularly again.

49 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

First half was even in our game. Once we got the 2nd goal though Villa completely gave up and we could have been walking away with a 6-0 win.

Mentality and pattern of play is what is separating us from the rest of the 2nd league so far.

And oil money :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Gunnersaurus said:

And oil money :ph34r:

All £80m of it? That line up has absolutely no right to be in the top 4. 5 wins in 6, 16 goals, 3 hammerings, all with only one new signing in the front 6. You'd expect some regression at some point as we are batting above average. 5 or 6 points ahead of where it should be.

Must be a few clubs shitting their pants that we are doing what we are without the oil money kicking in yet. 

36 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

All £80m of it? That line up has absolutely no right to be in the top 4. 5 wins in 6, 16 goals, 3 hammerings, all with only one new signing in the front 6. You'd expect some regression at some point as we are batting above average. 5 or 6 points ahead of where it should be.

Must be a few clubs shitting their pants that we are doing what we are without the oil money kicking in yet. 

It was a joke mate.  To be honest it seems you have owners who scout well and know what they are doing. Similar with man city. Its not all about the money.

20m is by modern standards relatively cheap.

I think Almirons development coincides better players and coaching.  let's be honest here and say our best player is Trippier and he makes Almiron more effective.  Trippier is having the season of his life and is on practically everyone's fantasy football teams and will make yet another premier league team of the week.

Schar and Botman also help, their back to front distribution just shows how bad Lascelles was.  Attacking players will benefit when distribution is good.

42 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Almiton was good under Rafa. So was Schar. Two players who collapsed under that part time manager Steve Bruce.

Agree to an extent but I think Howe has taken Almiron up another level.

Schar has always been good technically but Bruce killed him and he’s said that himself.

1 hour ago, Honey Honey said:

Almiton was good under Rafa. So was Schar. Two players who collapsed under that part time manager Steve Bruce.

exactly, better coaching and better players.   last season trippier missed most of the season with the foot injury sustain by Tyrone minge, while Krafth was brilliant he is no Trippier

Murphy is another player us fans tend to throw shade at and fail to appreciate how improved he is, as a impact player and squad player he is invaluable, plays off both feet and yesterday he came on and absolutely ripped villa to shreds, his first involvement was turning cash inside out dinking a cross that Wilson rattled the crossbar with.   followed by that shot off the upright, the 4th time he has hit the post this season, with more luck he has 4 or 5 goals.  

I love Longstaff and Murphy, hate Jon Jo Shelvey even against a beaten villa Shelvey looks to be in rewind gear

45 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Murphy is another player us fans tend to throw shade at and fail to appreciate how improved he is, as a impact player and squad player he is invaluable, plays off both feet and yesterday he came on and absolutely ripped villa to shreds, his first involvement was turning cash inside out dinking a cross that Wilson rattled the crossbar with.   followed by that shot off the upright, the 4th time he has hit the post this season, with more luck he has 4 or 5 goals.  

I love Longstaff and Murphy, hate Jon Jo Shelvey even against a beaten villa Shelvey looks to be in rewind gear

Not Murphy’s biggest fan if I’m honest. Think his days of being involved are numbered but again I do think he’s shown some improvement under Howe.

1 hour ago, N U F C said:

Not Murphy’s biggest fan if I’m honest. Think his days of being involved are numbered but again I do think he’s shown some improvement under Howe.

I think he has another two seasons,  we need 25 players in a squad and he is well ahead of;

Dummett, Lewis, Lascelles, Manquillo and Matt Ritchie.    Darlow and Shelvey will be free agents as will Fraser so Murphy is in the 15~17 range right now.    He is good squad depth and reliably available for selection.   For him to become surplus we will need to sign another 5 or 6 players. 

22 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Some cases have worked ok at some clubs in the past. Valencia, Young & Milner. But it still feels like big clubs show boating when they do it. Especially if it goes wrong.

But there needs to be some defensive element in their game, either work rate or physicality at the bare minimum. Sterling and Pulisic offer neither so it begs the question what the fuck Potter is playing at when we have a fully fit Chilwell and Azpilicueta on the bench to play a back 4. 

I'm more than willing giving Potter a lot of time considering the state of this squad, but there needs to be some evidence of quality in his management. For example, this 5 at the back nonsense is moot without Reece James. It's utterly pathetic how one dimensional we are when he isn't in the team. Second, Kovacic and Reuben Loftus-Cheek central midfield pairing is and always has been completely unbalanced. Both like to venture forward with the ball (and offer fuck all in the final third), which leaves a gaping hole in midfield. Third, Gallagher, Mount, and Havertz are all similar players and occupy the same space. Why are they all playing together and in square peg round hole positions? Why the fuck do we have wingers as wingbacks and a hole in midfield which leaves our 3 CBs completely exposed? 

This was AVB levels of mismanagement yesterday. Terrible. 

21 minutes ago, Cicero said:

But there needs to be some defensive element in their game, either work rate or physicality at the bare minimum. Sterling and Pulisic offer neither so it begs the question what the fuck Potter is playing at when we have a fully fit Chilwell and Azpilicueta on the bench to play a back 4. 

I'm more than willing giving Potter a lot of time considering the state of this squad, but there needs to be some evidence of quality in his management. For example, this 5 at the back nonsense is moot without Reece James. It's utterly pathetic how one dimensional we are when he isn't in the team. Second, Kovacic and Reuben Loftus-Cheek central midfield pairing is and always has been completely unbalanced. Both like to venture forward with the ball (and offer fuck all in the final third), which leaves a gaping hole in midfield. Third, Gallagher, Mount, and Havertz are all similar players and occupy the same space. Why are they all playing together and in square peg round hole positions? Why the fuck do we have wingers as wingbacks and a hole in midfield which leaves our 3 CBs completely exposed? 

This was AVB levels of mismanagement yesterday. Terrible. 

I agree that Potter is falling into the trap of using what he did at Brighton where he built the team to that mould at a team that just doesn't have the players that can play that system.  Chelsea should be playing a 4-2-3-1 with the players they have.

2 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I agree that Potter is falling into the trap of using what he did at Brighton where he built the team to that mould at a team that just doesn't have the players that can play that system.  Chelsea should be playing a 4-2-3-1 with the players they have.

I love Mount. I really do. But he is becoming another Oscar. Jack of all trades. Master of none. 

Hopefully Nkunku takes the #10 role away from him. Mount's awareness in the final third is arguably the worst out of all our attackers given the amount of minutes he's playing. 

17 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

@Reluctant Striker Emery out? :ph34r:

I can't help but sadly predict there will be a few Villa fans making unhappy noises if we're not getting a few wins vs 'rubbish' Man United, 'who are they' Brighton, '7-2' Liverpool & 'it's only' Tottenham. I'll admit it can honestly be like an alternate universe.

Realistically, getting a few respectable performances & just a couple of points could feel like progress.

Obviously, his first job will hopefully be to sort out how to line up, in a way all the players buy into & makes best use of the best available.

Establishing a bit of belief with talk of the old days, which are like where he has been himself. A little bit like Dean Smith provided. Rather than the Danny Murphy school of thought that rubbishes away all that's best of the club & wets themselves over near enough anything north of Birmingham.

If it was me, personally, I'd sit down with all players individually & ask them why they signed for the club. What their hopes & ambitions were. If they sound like Danny Murphy or Joleon Lescott, they'd be out asap. On loan. To Turkey. The MLS. Or wherever will take them. Whoever they may be. Negativity spreads like diseases. And it feels it could well be a factor again.

And then there's identifying who just isn't good enough & sadly I think both Mings & McGinn are perhaps not quite good enough, and perhaps with their best years behind them.

• Subscriber
On 29/10/2022 at 15:07, Ozzy0zz said:

And they do score 30 seconds later...

Thats how you start Leicester, take notes...

I must've imagined Brighton getting quite more comfortably beaten by the same Man City a week earlier. You cannot compare playing Man City and Chelsea.

I just watched Chelsea V Brighton as I'm in the us US and I dont watch all the matches on the day.

I won't comment one the result but what I will comment on is that Chelsea away kit was the worst that I've ever seen. WTF? and I don't even like Chelsea. Who picked that kit it's like a 70's beige throwback.....gah.

• Subscriber

Watching some Man United v Hammers highlights and spotted this at the pre-match warm-up, not sure if it's just a warm-up jumper only but FFS it looks hideous, it's like our grandson has drawn a picture and went mad adding colors, yuk. O.o

download (2).png

Miggy was busy playing how many October goal of the month goals he could get;

1 October vs Fulham

19 October v Everton

23 October v Spurs

29 October v Villa

I think the Fulham goal was the best of the lot due to the skill involved in keeping it down,  his goal against Villa had a 0.02xG but I think the Everton one was better as the ball was rolling into him and you can tend to put those into Row Z

• The topic was unpinned

Archived