talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

TF365 Quiz 5 - La Liga History

football forum

• Subscriber

Please make sure you have read the Guidelines and FAQ thread before taking part in the Quiz League - this will only take you two minutes.

Quiz League Round 5 - La Liga History

Time to get a few more of you out of your comfort zones and see what you know about the history of the Spanish league! There are a mixture of questions here, I have tweaked it a bit following the feedback to the last quiz, but I'm anticipating that some of you might find a few of these questions particularly cruel as I already had this one written and ready to go before I launched the last one. Round 6 will focus on the Bundesliga and I will try to take a different approach with that one. I couldn't see any questions that are at all ambiguous but if any of them are at all unclear please comment in the thread here and I will clarify if needs be. Good luck!

Click Here to take the quiz!

Access Code: 7X2Y74B

Round 5 Deadline: Friday 14th July 18:00 (UK Time)

Remember! Do not give away answers in this thread until they have been revealed after the deadline!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This time I actually knew a lot of the answers. Got one wrong which I should've known (who won more than 1 La Liga trophy), but the score should at least be better than last time.

Actually the Civil War one I also got wrong because I'm retarded.

• Administrator
14 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Finished the quiz and forgot to press ''Submit'' so I believe my test will be around 24 minutes long, I don't think I did too much better in that set of questions but hopefully my educated guesses hit the spot.

oh that old chestnut!!

• Subscriber

I know people are only arsing about but in case anyone's jimmies are rustled I did notice Cannabis had answered all of the questions but not submitted while I was totting up other people's scores.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I know people are only arsing about but in case anyone's jimmies are rustled I did notice Cannabis had answered all of the questions but not submitted while I was totting up other people's scores.

Give me a heads up on my score Randall, did i do good? :coffee:

• Subscriber

Deadline is 6pm tomorrow but as I'm out at a meal it might be more like 9pm or 10pm tomorrow (Friday) before I close this one. May even leave it until Saturday if I end up getting pissed.

Those that still need to have a crack at this one: @Azeem98 @Dan @Storts @Cure @Toony @LaSambadeStGermain

If you don't want to be tagged anymore when there's 24 hours left and you haven't done it, please let me know so I don't keep doing it.

• Subscriber

Although the other quiz is posted, this one is still open until I have time to post the answers and tables - might be a few hours later, might be tomorrow lunchtime - not tagging guys again but you still have time to answer this round until then.

• Subscriber

Quiz 5 Answers

1) Atlético Madrid won the Spanish title in 2014, but before that, which team were the last besides Barcelona and Real Madrid to win La Liga?

D – Valencia. Rafa Benitez led Valencia to their sixth title in 2003-2004. Deportivo were champions in 1999-2000, Atlético Madrid’s last title before 2014 came in 1995-96, while Bilbao have not won the league since the 1980s.

2) Which team won the Spanish title in the league’s inaugural season in 1928-29?

B – Barcelona. Barcelona and Real Madrid wasted no time setting their stall for the future, finishing first and second in the inaugural championship.

3) For how many seasons was the competition cancelled during the Spanish Civil War?

A – 3. The 1936-7, 1937-8 and 1938-9 seasons were not run due to the ongoing political conflict in Spain. Atlético Aviacíon won the next two titles when the league resumed, their last before changing their name to Atlético Madrid.

4) How many clubs have competed in all 86 seasons of the Spanish top flight?

B – 3. Barcelona (shock), Real Madrid (horror) and Athletic Bilbao have been ever-present in the top tier of Spanish football since it began in 1928.

5) Which club most recently won their first Spanish title?

B – Deportivo La Coruna. Deportivo’s 1999-2000 success was the first and, to date, only Spanish title in the club’s history. Valencia and Atlético Madrid have won the championship more recently, but neither of these were the clubs’ first success, while Sevilla have won just one title back in 1946.

6) Which of the following sides, currently not in La Liga, have spent the most seasons in the top division in Spain?

D – Zaragoza. Zaragoza outstrip the other contenders in this question with relative comfort, having taken part in 58 top flight campaigns, ahead of Racing Santander (44), Valladolid (42) and Mallorca (27).

7) Aside from Luis Suarez in 2015-16, who was the last player other than Messi or Ronaldo to have been the top goalscorer in a La Liga season?

B – Diego Forlán. Forlán was La Liga top scorer for Atlético Madrid in 2008-9, the second time he achieved this accolade after doing so as a Villareal player in 2004-5. Daniel Guiza was the top marksman in 2007-8 playing for Mallorca, while neither Aguero or Falcao have won the award.

8) Which one of the following clubs has been Spanish champions more than once?

C – Real Sociedad. Sociedad won back to back championships in 1981 and 1982. Real Betis (1935) and Sevilla (1946) each have just one title to their name while Espanyol have never been champions.

9) Which current La Liga player has made the most appearances in Spanish football?

B – Joaquín. The Real Betis player has accumulated a whopping 425 appearances since 2001, scoring 53 goals in the process. Iniesta is closest with 389 appearances, just ahead of Reyes (383) and Ramos (378).

10) What is the record for the most consecutive league titles won by a single club in Spain?

B – 5. Real Madrid claim this record, and have actually gone on a five-year winning streak on two occasions, first from 1960-61 to 1964-65, and then again from 1985-86 to 1989-90.

Results

59691d56e7044_Quiz5Results.thumb.png.4a786fe5853c25322436a8c3e4689035.png

A sensational perfect round from @Cure sees him grab the headlines in what was otherwise a very close round. @Storts is best of the rest, securing 7 points with his last minute entry. No wooden spoon this time around as three players tie at the bottom of the scoreboard. Everyone successfully chose Valencia as the last side before Atlético to break the Real Madrid/Barcelona domination of La Liga, while questions 8 (which club has won the title multiple times) and 10 (record for most consecutive league titles) were the worst answered questions.

6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Quiz 5 Answers

1) Atlético Madrid won the Spanish title in 2014, but before that, which team were the last besides Barcelona and Real Madrid to win La Liga?

D – Valencia. Rafa Benitez led Valencia to their sixth title in 2003-2004. Deportivo were champions in 1999-2000, Atlético Madrid’s last title before 2014 came in 1995-96, while Bilbao have not won the league since the 1980s.

2) Which team won the Spanish title in the league’s inaugural season in 1928-29?

B – Barcelona. Barcelona and Real Madrid wasted no time setting their stall for the future, finishing first and second in the inaugural championship.

3) For how many seasons was the competition cancelled during the Spanish Civil War?

A – 3. The 1936-7, 1937-8 and 1938-9 seasons were not run due to the ongoing political conflict in Spain. Atlético Aviacíon won the next two titles when the league resumed, their last before changing their name to Atlético Madrid.

4) How many clubs have competed in all 86 seasons of the Spanish top flight?

B – 3. Barcelona (shock), Real Madrid (horror) and Athletic Bilbao have been ever-present in the top tier of Spanish football since it began in 1928.

5) Which club most recently won their first Spanish title?

B – Deportivo La Coruna. Deportivo’s 1999-2000 success was the first and, to date, only Spanish title in the club’s history. Valencia and Atlético Madrid have won the championship more recently, but neither of these were the clubs’ first success, while Sevilla have won just one title back in 1946.

6) Which of the following sides, currently not in La Liga, have spent the most seasons in the top division in Spain?

D – Zaragoza. Zaragoza outstrip the other contenders in this question with relative comfort, having taken part in 58 top flight campaigns, ahead of Racing Santander (44), Valladolid (42) and Mallorca (27).

7) Aside from Luis Suarez in 2015-16, who was the last player other than Messi or Ronaldo to have been the top goalscorer in a La Liga season?

B – Diego Forlán. Forlán was La Liga top scorer for Atlético Madrid in 2008-9, the second time he achieved this accolade after doing so as a Villareal player in 2004-5. Daniel Guiza was the top marksman in 2007-8 playing for Mallorca, while neither Aguero or Falcao have won the award.

8) Which one of the following clubs has been Spanish champions more than once?

C – Real Sociedad. Sociedad won back to back championships in 1981 and 1982. Real Betis (1935) and Sevilla (1946) each have just one title to their name while Espanyol have never been champions.

9) Which current La Liga player has made the most appearances in Spanish football?

B – Joaquín. The Real Betis player has accumulated a whopping 425 appearances since 2001, scoring 53 goals in the process. Iniesta is closest with 389 appearances, just ahead of Reyes (383) and Ramos (378).

10) What is the record for the most consecutive league titles won by a single club in Spain?

B – 5. Real Madrid claim this record, and have actually gone on a five-year winning streak on two occasions, first from 1960-61 to 1964-65, and then again from 1985-86 to 1989-90.

Results

59691d56e7044_Quiz5Results.thumb.png.4a786fe5853c25322436a8c3e4689035.png

A sensational perfect round from @Cure sees him grab the headlines in what was otherwise a very close round. @Storts is best of the rest, securing 7 points with his last minute entry. No wooden spoon this time around as three players tie at the bottom of the scoreboard. Everyone successfully chose Valencia as the last side before Atlético to break the Real Madrid/Barcelona domination of La Liga, while questions 8 (which club has won the title multiple times) and 10 (record for most consecutive league titles) were the worst answered questions.

I'm genuinely shocked. Ten? Four of those, two and six and eight and ten, were all guesses. I'll take that after how the Bundesliga round went.

Archived