talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Messi's Next Move - Inter Miami Confident in Signing

football forum

Reports suggest PSG will push hard to extend his contract. He has also been linked with Inter Miami CF and a return to Barcelona.

The most advanced of those options is understood to be Inter Miami, to the extent that the Major League Soccer franchise now expect Messi to arrive and hope he will sign in the coming months.

Discussions between the two parties have been going on for a couple of years and there is increasing confidence that the proposed transfer will materialise.

Jorge and Jose Mas — the brothers who co-own Inter Miami alongside David Beckham — are leading the negotiations and numerous meetings have taken place with the star’s father, Jorge.

No more conversations are anticipated until the Wold Cup finishes and most probably early 2023, at which point Messi can put pen to paper on a pre-contract agreement with a foreign team.

If he picks Inter Miami, it will be an extraordinary achievement for them and the league. Messi would arguably be the most high-profile acquisition in the history of the competition. The impact he could have on football in the United States, especially as it gears up to jointly host the 2026 World Cup, is another factor appealing to everyone involved in the dialogue.

Inter Miami have always known that a move to their city is a source of attraction for Messi’s family, who already own a property there. Miami’s community links with South America are strong, too.

But the club — established in 2018 and contesting MLS matches since 2020 — are developing a pull of their own, amid improved displays on the pitch and structural progress behind the scenes.

Of greater importance is the permission that was recently granted for construction to begin on Miami Freedom Park, a $1billion (£860m) stadium complex that will give Inter Miami a spectacular home.

After a tumultuous period post-launch — they entered MLS during the COVID-19 pandemic and were later punished for breaking budget rules — Inter Miami appear to be advancing and in 2022, they experienced the biggest jump of any franchise in a valuation rankings table produced by Sportico.

All of this should ensure they are fairly well equipped to welcome someone of Messi’s standing. The powerbrokers were together for the season-ending defeat at New York City on October 18 and Beckham was back with his colleagues last week to continue planning, with Messi firmly in their thoughts.

Equally, the intricacy and unpredictability of such situations — particularly given the rival interest over Messi — means Inter Miami must simultaneously prepare for alternatives. Beckham and the seven-time Ballon d’Or winner share a good relationship but the Mas brothers are spearheading the pursuit. They will desperately hope that it comes to fruition.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Messi for club and country this season:-

Games: 29

Goals: 25

Assists: 18

Goal contributions: 43

Mbappe

Games: 28

Goals: 28

Assists: 7

Goal contributions: 35

Declined, but his numbers are still up there with Mbappes, playing against the same opposition. He's occupying that deeper role well in his old age and is a brilliant playmaker, while still capable of scoring a banging goal. I don't get the talk of Miami yet. 2 more years and then go to the USA(or better yet, Argentina) after the next Copa América in my opinion.

I'd be surprised if he didn't still have the offers from the big clubs and it's no secret PSG want to keep him. Fuck PSG, but it's still much better than Miami for the lad, which would actually be sad as he's still clearly got that little bit left.

28 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Messi for club and country this season:-

Games: 29

Goals: 25

Assists: 18

Goal contributions: 43

Mbappe

Games: 28

Goals: 28

Assists: 7

Goal contributions: 35

Declined, but his numbers are still up there with Mbappes, playing against the same opposition. He's occupying that deeper role well in his old age and is a brilliant playmaker, while still capable of scoring a banging goal. I don't get the talk of Miami yet. 2 more years and then go to the USA(or better yet, Argentina) after the next Copa América in my opinion.

I'd be surprised if he didn't still have the offers from the big clubs and it's no secret PSG want to keep him. Fuck PSG, but it's still much better than Miami for the lad, which would actually be sad as he's still clearly got that little bit left.

I’d like to see him go back to Barce tbh

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Danny said:

I’d like to see him go back to Barce tbh

9 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

I don't think it will happen unfortunately, but it would be great.

Same. Would love it to happen but guessing financially it's impossible.

Surely he goes back home to end his career in a few years, back to Newell's Old Boys. 

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Same. Would love it to happen but guessing financially it's impossible.

Surely he goes back home to end his career in a few years, back to Newell's Old Boys. 

The only problem with Newells is that he has a family nowadays, who grew up in Europe and Argentina has a lot of issues. 

But back to Barcelona for 2 years then Newells for a couple would certainly be the perfect ending.

3 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

The only problem with Newells is that he has a family nowadays, who grew up in Europe and Argentina has a lot of issues. 

But back to Barcelona for 2 years then Newells for a couple would certainly be the perfect ending.

In my opinion, Messi can play at a high level for a long time. He has so much vision and is so smart to read the game and choose wisely the moments to sprint and then to walk. I can see him re-signing with PSG now that he has finally get used to life in Paris. 

IMO the real problem for Messi ending his career at Newell's is that he would have zero privacy in Rosario. On that sense, Miami is a better option.

14 hours ago, El Profesor said:

In my opinion, Messi can play at a high level for a long time. He has so much vision and is so smart to read the game and choose wisely the moments to sprint and then to walk. I can see him re-signing with PSG now that he has finally get used to life in Paris. 

IMO the real problem for Messi ending his career at Newell's is that he would have zero privacy in Rosario. On that sense, Miami is a better option.

It's about hunger I think although Messi seems to still have it. 

For as talented as he is, we forget how much of a competitive beast he is. This is the difference between himself(or C.Ronaldo) and a player like Ronaldinho, who lost the hunger and desire too young. 

I agree about Newells. He's even said it himself quite recently. He wants to go back there but it's not as simple as that.

There is always Rovers so he can prove the big one:- Stoke on a Wednesday night @JoshBRFC

• Subscriber

He'll move on sooner rather than later and I feel like a guy like Messi would be invaluable to a coaching position that teaches youth how to improve their ability to read the game. I feel like going back to Barcelona wouldn't be totally out of question. 

Archived