talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Put Up For Sale by FSG

I'd be surprised if a investment fund saw Liverpool at that price as a good prospect. What is the turnover growth potential? It can't be much so why would you buy it other than to weather storms elsewhere under the assumption sports revenues are sturdy enough to tie up some of your wealth for needing to sell later.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/11/2022 at 13:55, Honey Honey said:

I'd be surprised if a investment fund saw Liverpool at that price as a good prospect. What is the turnover growth potential? It can't be much so why would you buy it other than to weather storms elsewhere under the assumption sports revenues are sturdy enough to tie up some of your wealth for needing to sell later.

I was watching a vlog about why the Saudis chose Newcastle over Inter and Man United, the big reason is sphere of influence, with no natural rival we can assume domestic support and cannibalize younger would be Sunderland fans.

geolocation allows expansion without competing with another club.  Newcastle is also a city rather than a town thus having much greater commercial pull.

for Liverpool the situation is harder due to Everton expansion is harder despite Liverpool's name.  buying Liverpool for 3.5bn is already overpay and a net loss, the new owner may only start seeing profits after 15-20 years

1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I was watching a vlog about why the Saudis chose Newcastle over Inter and Man United, the big reason is sphere of influence, with no natural rival we can assume domestic support and cannibalize younger would be Sunderland fans.

geolocation allows expansion without competing with another club.  Newcastle is also a city rather than a town thus having much greater commercial pull.

for Liverpool the situation is harder due to Everton expansion is harder despite Liverpool's name.  buying Liverpool for 3.5bn is already overpay and a net loss, the new owner may only start seeing profits after 15-20 years

Newcastle or Liverpool there can't be that much revenue growth locally. Obviously for Newcastle there is more potential growth since it is starting from as low as it could be, but still real revenue benefit has to be new fans from elsewhere. Local growth is going to be what? Max £10m a year more than prior perhaps.

• 2 months later...
On 30/11/2022 at 16:24, Dr. Gonzo said:

Some of the prospective buyers that have been listed have me thinking maybe football is no longer for me tbh.

I wouldn't give up on football, find a lower league team to support if you can't support the new owners of Liverpool.

On 19/11/2022 at 04:41, OrangeKhrush said:

You really thing you could get would be Sunderland fans to support Newcastle?  That's like Leeds thinking they could pick up young fans in Sheffield.

23 hours ago, Redcanuck said:

I wouldn't give up on football, find a lower league team to support if you can't support the new owners of Liverpool.

I've thought about it, but really I don't even think I can be arsed supporting Tranmere (who are my actual hometown club) if I have to bin off Liverpool. And Tranmere's really the only other club out there that I think I'd have some feeling of connection to. But after a life of supporting Liverpool, I just think once the love for the club is finally dead... I don't think I've got it in me to keep watching the sport anymore.

On 30/11/2022 at 21:24, Dr. Gonzo said:

Some of the prospective buyers that have been listed have me thinking maybe football is no longer for me tbh.

I'm beginning to feel that way. The circus that follows football off the pitch is gathering more headlines than what happens on the pitch and its affecting my enjoyment.

1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I heard something about FSG giving Klopp 300m to spend in the summer.   that's a nice kitty

You believe way too much transfer bollocks xD

No way FSG will sell that much without spending. And after this season, who's spending the kind of fees we'd need for that

On 22/02/2023 at 07:59, The Palace Fan said:

I'm beginning to feel that way. The circus that follows football off the pitch is gathering more headlines than what happens on the pitch and its affecting my enjoyment.

Beginning? It's been that way for quite some time imo mate.  I still watch football but the love affair I had with the sport isn't the same as it was for me most of my life.  I don't find practically any personal association with what's going on in the sport now.  This is not fan based and I was a football fan.

47 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Beginning? It's been that way for quite some time imo mate.  I still watch football but the love affair I had with the sport isn't the same as it was for me most of my life.  I don't find practically any personal association with what's going on in the sport now.  This is not fan based and I was a football fan.

I feel its got worse. It's expected during a transfer window but now it just feels constant. Without thinking twice I can list of:

- Fifa corruption.

- The constant super league talk.

- The Barcelona levers.

- VAR

- Middle East sportwashing attempts.

- Todd Boehly making a meme of himself.

- Big clubs constantly getting in trouble for cooking the books.

- The Ronaldo circus.

It's all overshadowing what will be a fantastic relegation battle and hopefully a title race where Arsenal can push Man City all the way.

9 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I feel its got worse. It's expected during a transfer window but now it just feels constant. Without thinking twice I can list of:

- Fifa corruption.

- The constant super league talk.

- The Barcelona levers.

- VAR

- Middle East sportwashing attempts.

- Todd Boehly making a meme of himself.

- Big clubs constantly getting in trouble for cooking the books.

- The Ronaldo circus.

It's all overshadowing what will be a fantastic relegation battle and hopefully a title race where Arsenal can push Man City all the way.

You’ve cited some if the hundreds of more recent headlines football has been embroiled in. There are hundreds of them, an endless myriad of non football asinine moments.

But for me and my loss of passion for this sport has a more simplistic sentiment basis. It’s what fandoms have become (Infact it transcends football and is more a social phenomena)... the focus on non sporting outside issues that have added to the “win, lose or draw” sensation when attempting to put one over on a “rival”. The fact traditional historic rivalries are now simply a media based selling point of an overall product... the ‘overall product’ actually being the authentic basis of support etc... etc... etc...

I could go on. But what I do know is that this football has practically no relationship to the football I once knew aside from the sphere on the lawn.

13 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You believe way too much transfer bollocks xD

No way FSG will sell that much without spending. And after this season, who's spending the kind of fees we'd need for that

I know this season has been hard but you have had six years of being well run, the first sign of adversity is being grossly overreacted to. 

FSG have backed the club and done so without breaking rules.  this season seemed to back the adage of "never rains it pours" in that so many things went wrong at once.    300m or 200m in the summer will let you significantly refresh the team, Bellingham would be massive and some tweaks elsewhere maybe a CB and CM on top of Bellingham is all you really need as the team is not broken maybe move a couple out like Keita, Ox, Gomes, Matip and replace them with a good player.  Liverpool's problems are grossly over exaggerated.

you will be back to normal next season when you rebuild essentially midfield and center defence

Archived