talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group A - R1 - Qatar 0-2 Ecuador - Sunday 20th November, 2022

football forum

• The title was changed to Group A - R1 - Qatar vs Ecuador - Sunday 20th November, 2022
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Stan said:

I'll watch to see Qatar get battered. Hopefully. 

Nah, when it comes to the football, it's about the players and the coaches. They're the underdogs and the host nation so from a football perspective, I'd like them to do well.

18 hours ago, N U F C said:

I don’t want Qatar to win for obvious reasons but I do think they’ve got a bit more about them than they get credit for.

This is a winnable game for them.

Agreed. These middle eastern sides are hard to play against as you are often not only playing football against them but you're also up against the weather (usually), the shenanigans (faking injuries and time wasting). I expect them to get something from this game tbh.

On 17/11/2022 at 18:17, Stan said:

Apparently this guy is a well known bullshitter that does propaganda for the UAE. Or maybe people are bullshitting about him...

Quick look at his twitter and he does seem to be more of a conspiracy spreading type of guy.

Anyway, on an unrelated note, a quick tenner on Qatar to win the whole thing. 

I don't see Qatar getting anything out of this group and to be completely smashed by every side. Then again i fully expect refs to be as corrupted as FIFA and give them absolutely everything to "promote" football in Qatar and help them advance.

0-2 Ecuador win

1 hour ago, True Blue said:

I don't see Qatar getting anything out of this group and to be completely smashed by every side. Then again i fully expect refs to be as corrupted as FIFA and give them absolutely everything to "promote" football in Qatar and help them advance.

0-2 Ecuador win

To be fair, they are Asian champions and a couple of their attackers, Akram Afif & Almoez Ali, seem to do well in that region (according to the numbers). Asian teams rarely do well in the World Cup so all that might count for nothing.

I think this is the most winnable game for Qatar. They certainly won't beat the Netherlands and I think the African champions Senegal, will probably be too strong for them. Lets not forget that Qatar themselves are Asian Cup champions, where they beat both Japan and South Korea on the way to winning the trophy. Sure, the Asian continent is not the strongest in footballing terms, but Qatar are obviously one of the better sides and beating Ecuador seems very possible. Asian sides do not have a great record at the World Cups, but Qatar could get a win in their opening World Cup game.

On 16/11/2022 at 12:25, Beelzebub said:

Qatar has build a good team unit. I think they'll go ahead but won't be able to hold on to it.

Qatar 1-3 Ecuador

Interesting fact, Ecuador played 3 friendly games against Asian sides in preparation for their match against Qatar. Their opponents were Saudi Arabia, Japan and Iraq. Incredibly, all these matches ended in 0-0 draws! Lets hope this result doesn't repeat itself against Qatar at the World Cup.

7 hours ago, Michael said:

Interesting fact, Ecuador played 3 friendly games against Asian sides in preparation for their match against Qatar. Their opponents were Saudi Arabia, Japan and Iraq. Incredibly, all these matches ended in 0-0 draws! Lets hope this result doesn't repeat itself against Qatar at the World Cup.

Yeah. Regardless of the off the pitch issues about Qatar, their national team project is commendable. They slowly transisted from naturalised players to home grown players mostly of African-Arab background. Their final win vs Japan in the Asian Cup final was very convincing. 

4 hours ago, Beelzebub said:

Yeah. Regardless of the off the pitch issues about Qatar, their national team project is commendable. They slowly transisted from naturalised players to home grown players mostly of African-Arab background. Their final win vs Japan in the Asian Cup final was very convincing. 

Well, yeah, I think that they've been punching above their weight, considering there are only around 300,000 Qatari citizens in the world. From what I have read, I believe that their Aspire project has worked dividends over the years, producing very capable players. You are right about them having African players in their team, there are from what I understand some Egyptians, Sudanese and Algerians in their squad, but I believe that they were all brought up in Qatar and thus, like you suggested, can be classed as home grown. You can't tell too much from friendly results, but they lost to Canada and drew with Chile in their last 2 preparation matches, but if they can produce any of the form that won them the Asian Cup, then I think they definitely have the ability to win their opening match.

• The title was changed to Group A - R1 - Qatar 0-2 Ecuador - Sunday 20th November, 2022
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived