talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ivan Toney Charged With Alleged Betting Infringements

The problem is there's so many cases to go through one by one, this will get dragged out as long as possible before an inevitable ban. Might not even see a resolution till March/April or even May.

In the meantime, Toney will score a crucial goal against someone who gets relegated and they'll put in a protest to say he shouldn't have played.

It has the makings to get really messy.

• 2 months later...

I guess the FA have an obligation to disclose enough evidence for him to plea. It's the only plausible explanation I can think for why this process has taken so long.

I'd be interested to see how Brentford adapt without him for a long period. He's goal involvement percentage for them must be very high but they've picked up impressive wins without him this season.

1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

this will hurt his summer value, teams may not gamble on him now.   Good for Brentford though

On the other hand it might be a ban until the end of the season, Brentford are well safe this all seems well times to me. 

When he does get banned I imagine we will move to a front two of Yoanne Wissa and Bryan Mbeumo with one of Schade, Lewis-Potter and Damsgaard pushing into to potentially make it a front 3. All 3 of the latter will definitely get more minutes off the bench imo.

Our replacements for Ivan Toney when he eventually leaves us will likely already be at the club, so a change in style of play might be on the horizon to bring the best out of whoever that is.

In terms of Toney’s value it is a worry but for me the only way this effects his value is if the ban runs into next season. Otherwise it’ll be the fact he only has two years left on his current deal that will bring his value down to around £50m.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Devil said:

On the other hand it might be a ban until the end of the season, Brentford are well safe this all seems well times to me. 

if it happens, it seems to be dragging on.  I have heard it could be up to a 250 day ban, other stories say 140 days either way it may put teams off at least until Winter 

• 2 months later...

The ban on training is a farce, he has been diagnosed with a gambling addiction and has at no point been involved in match fixing. How is keeping him away from the training ground going to help support his rehabilitation in any way?

I think he is very lucky to have what he got..

He could have had 15 months but it was reduced due to his gambling addiction diagnosis and has openly admitted to repeatedly lying to the FA in the early stages of the investigation which probably didn't go down to well.. He can also start training with Brentford 4 months before his ban comes to an end and in the meantime although I agree that banning him from training serves no useful purpose in the grand scheme of things it's part of the punishment to stay away from anything football related.. I am pretty sure that he will find other ways to keep himself fit in the meantime.. 

• Administrator
41 minutes ago, Danny said:

The ban on training is a farce, he has been diagnosed with a gambling addiction and has at no point been involved in match fixing. How is keeping him away from the training ground going to help support his rehabilitation in any way?

Yeah don't get why he can't train. And why from September only. Odd. 

Also heard how a doctor advised he gets professional help but he wasn't given it. 

The match-fixing thing is debatable. He's bet on his own team to lose. Even if he didn't play in it, you can reasonably comprehend how he can still have an influence on the game through teammates etc. 

Just now, Stan said:

Also heard how a doctor advised he gets professional help but he wasn't given it. 

Where did you read that???

If he has admitted to having an addiction they are duty bound to offer as much help as possible as is the club.. Clearly the addiction angle was to try and reduce his penalty and maybe garner some sympathy but a good point was made about it and that is a gambling addict would be betting on all kinds of things but Toney was very specifically betting on his and his teams performances and very little else which might throw some doubt on the veracity of his claims of addiction.. either way, once he has admitted to that they should be helping him.. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Where did you read that???

If he has admitted to having an addiction they are duty bound to offer as much help as possible as is the club.. Clearly the addiction angle was to try and reduce his penalty and maybe garner some sympathy but a good point was made about it and that is a gambling addict would be betting on all kinds of things but Toney was very specifically betting on his and his teams performances and very little else which might throw some doubt on the veracity of his claims of addiction.. either way, once he has admitted to that they should be helping him.. 

They said on the radio earlier today. It's in the transcript as well apparently that's been released. 

I think it's a bit harsh to say the addiction angle was to try and reduce the penalty. A betting addict is a betting addict. Nowhere in the definition of being a gambling/betting addict would it say it has to be on different sports. It can be football and only football. 

Addiction can be very complex. I don't think it's as simple as saying the veracity is questioned based on what he's bet on, a opposed to the volume of bets he's making. 

On the flip side, you could say it enforces how much he is addicted to doing it by ignoring the rules about betting on your own team so much... 

I don't think it's that harsh, just my opinion on the matter, He had been betting for about 5 years and when he got caught it's better not to underestimate the options/advice he would have had before him when facing some real serious trouble and a lengthy ban, It's no stretch to suggest that the gambling addiction was put forward as a way of getting a more sympathetic hearing and a lesser punishment.. It probably didn't help his case that he was prepared to lie repeatedly in the initial stages rather than just coming clean and saying he had a problem, only once all the evidence was overwhelmingly against him did he come clean.. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I don't think it's that harsh, just my opinion on the matter, He had been betting for about 5 years and when he got caught it's better not to underestimate the options/advice he would have had before him when facing some real serious trouble and a lengthy ban, It's no stretch to suggest that the gambling addiction was put forward as a way of getting a more sympathetic hearing and a lesser punishment.. It probably didn't help his case that he was prepared to lie repeatedly in the initial stages rather than just coming clean and saying he had a problem, only once all the evidence was overwhelmingly against him did he come clean.. 

It's sometimes very difficult to admit there's a problem though. Where did he lie about it, just out of interest? 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

It's sometimes very difficult to admit there's a problem though. Where did he lie about it, just out of interest? 

In its written reasons explaining its sanction, published on Friday, the commission said Toney had admitted repeatedly lying during his initial interviews with the FA.

The FA initially wanted to impose a 15-month ban on Toney because he attempted to conceal his betting, knowing it was against FA rules. This included betting through third parties and deleting relevant messages from his mobile phone, it said, then knowingly giving "clearly false answers" during his interviews with the FA.

• Facepalm 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Stan said:

Yeah don't get why he can't train. And why from September only. Odd. 

The match-fixing thing is debatable. He's bet on his own team to lose. Even if he didn't play in it, you can reasonably comprehend how he can still have an influence on the game through teammates etc. 

He was betting on Newcastle when he was out on loan I believe

3 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Addicts are rarely honest about their vices though, hence being addicts. Considering the industry makes a lot of profit from gambling the response is highly hypocritical