talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group B - R1 - England 6-2 Iran - Monday 21st November, 2022

football forum

9 minutes ago, Dan said:

This reeks of a banana skin but England might've just caught Iran at a good time. Reeks of a crap performance bailed out by a penalty to be honest.

We should be hammering a team like Iran, on paper we are far stronger so it fall's to Southgate to get the formation and tactics right 

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

We should be hammering a team like Iran, on paper we are far stronger so it fall's to Southgate to get the formation and tactics right 

Iran don't tend to get hammered. If you look at their previous world cup results it's often tight with them.

9 minutes ago, Dan said:

Iran don't tend to get hammered. If you look at their previous world cup results it's often tight with them.

They play really defensive from what i've seen but with the right service Kane should be able to open them up like Haaland does for us when teams sit back. think the key will be if we can score early and get them to open up a little, if not it could be a long afternoon

5 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Looks like Harry Maguire 🤣 ..if he plays like him too we will be ok :ph34r:

He’s actually pretty good, at least he is for Iran and he was in Russia. He’s had a hard time since going to Germany, but from what I’ve seen of him at Leverkusen they haven’t tried playing the fucker at striker - which is weird because that’s where he should be playing.

Oh also get ready for Taremi to dive like he’s in the Olympics for it & if Iran gets a goal against England expect time wasting like you’ve never seen. Queiroz’s Iran is about as shithousey as it gets, especially against teams that way better on paper.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Oh also get ready for Taremi to dive like he’s in the Olympics for it & if Iran gets a goal against England expect time wasting like you’ve never seen. Queiroz’s Iran is about as shithousey as it gets, especially against teams that way better on paper.

Sounds like it's set up for a bore fest xD like most England games ha  ..how far do you think you will get?

2 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Sounds like it's set up for a bore fest xD like most England games ha  ..how far do you think you will get?

Iran - probably not out of the groups lol

England - no clue, we could win it or we could be totally shit & anywhere in between 

On 18/11/2022 at 05:26, Dr. Gonzo said:

He’s actually pretty good, at least he is for Iran and he was in Russia. He’s had a hard time since going to Germany, but from what I’ve seen of him at Leverkusen they haven’t tried playing the fucker at striker - which is weird because that’s where he should be playing.

I have a football passionate guy at work, who is an Iraqi Turkmen and he is always going on about how good Azmoun is. Azmoun who is also a Turkmen but of Iranian nationality, is the player he is always raving about. To be fair, he hasn't been great at Leverkusen, but it's probably the formation that they play that has affected his performances. The centre forward spot is always going to go to Patrik Schick. Even before his injury, Azmoun only started 2 games and when he did play, he was played in more of an attacking midfield role.

But I think that Azmoun's pace suits Iran's defensive, counter attacking style of play. He is the player who could help Iran catch opponent defences off guard. His scoring record at international level doesn't appear to be that bad either.

2 hours ago, Michael said:

I have a football passionate guy at work, who is an Iraqi Turkmen and he is always going on about how good Azmoun is. Azmoun who is also a Turkmen but of Iranian nationality, is the player he is always raving about. To be fair, he hasn't been great at Leverkusen, but it's probably the formation that they play that has affected his performances. The centre forward spot is always going to go to Patrik Schick. Even before his injury, Azmoun only started 2 games and when he did play, he was played in more of an attacking midfield role.

But I think that Azmoun's pace suits Iran's defensive, counter attacking style of play. He is the player who could help Iran catch opponent defences off guard. His scoring record at international level doesn't appear to be that bad either.

He started his career as a second striker/AM I think - but if you look at his stats over his career you can see when he switched to being an outright striker… and he’s much, much better there. Not just goals, way more assists too.

My guess is Leverkusen are set up with only one out & out centre forward? I hope once Alonso gets a chance to actually manage him (cos I think he got injured in training right after Alonso was brought in) he gets a shot in the position he’s actually good in. If he can link up with Schick the way he has with Taremi when Iran have gone 2 up top… they’ll both score a shitload I think.

I don’t think he’ll start against England though, I think that’s a bit too soon for him.

52 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He started his career as a second striker/AM I think - but if you look at his stats over his career you can see when he switched to being an outright striker… and he’s much, much better there. Not just goals, way more assists too.

My guess is Leverkusen are set up with only one out & out centre forward? I hope once Alonso gets a chance to actually manage him (cos I think he got injured in training right after Alonso was brought in) he gets a shot in the position he’s actually good in. If he can link up with Schick the way he has with Taremi when Iran have gone 2 up top… they’ll both score a shitload I think.

I don’t think he’ll start against England though, I think that’s a bit too soon for him.

Well, Alonso has played Hlozek in Schick's position, when Schick has been injured and Hlozek is much more of a second striker than a centre forward. So maybe Azmoun could get more of a chance under Alonso at Leverkusen, than he did under Seoane.

7 minutes ago, Beelzebub said:

Not that I know of. Even with that I expect weather to take a toll on players.

I think it's been well documented that the stadiums will be air-conditioned. Apparently, the cooling technology that they have installed at the stadiums, not only cools the stadium but it also cleans the air. So, I think that if the stadiums are appropriately air conditioned, as appears to be the case, then the players will have little excuse in terms of fatigue or even cramps.

Qatar's Eight World Cup Stadiums Are Fully Air Conditioned (sportbible.com)

2 hours ago, Panna King said:

I have been following Iran closely over the last few years, this should be a good test for them, they have great flair and passion that should see them through this game with a comfortable score line of 2-1.

You think Iran will win? Great fishing there 

• The title was changed to Group B - R1 - England 6-1 Iran - Monday 21st November, 2022
  • The title was changed to Group B - R1 - England 6-2 Iran - Monday 21st November, 2022
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived