talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group B - R1 - England 6-2 Iran - Monday 21st November, 2022

football forum

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

On the flip side, people would be wanking if it was Argentina, Brazil, France etc saying “lOoK aT tHeM bEiNg PuT tO tHe SworD bY a ClASs TeAm”

You know me well enough, to know that anything involving Messi means the sword is instantly out.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Maciej said:

The match England vs Iran ended with a win England, but it wasn`t the strongest opponent. How do you think, England will become World Champion?

It may well not be this time around. The defence will likely be put under lots more pressure, by USA & Wales. Or at least better organised & higher intensity defending. And if they get through, by anyone other than Qatar from that other group in the Last 16.

The favourites probably have to be France, Brazil, Argentina.. but England, Belgium & Germany are sides I would say have a chance. I'll leave it at that & see how it ages over the next few rounds of matches.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2022/11/21/england-vs-iran-live-football-world-cup-2022-latest-score-kane/

In a World Cup full of statements here was one from England on the pitch. Having been told their opening Group B opponents Iran would be tough, difficult to break down and highly motivated they blew them away with some sublime attacking football that sent an unequivocal message to the rest of the tournament.

Even so this was a lustrous performance with bold brushstrokes of positivity – 

Is that wanky enough?

Regardless of any of the circumstances, they've thrashed the top ranked Asian side... which was a side that performed really well against Spain and Portugal - who were probably more highly rated in the group stages of that tournament than England were in this tournament.

I think no matter how you slice it, it's a fairly impressive win. It's not saying England are the best side in the world, but it's England comfortably beating a side they should comfortably be beating. And if that's not something England fans should be happy about, then you've not spent much time watching England play and disappoint their fans... like those of us that want England to not be shit typically have experienced.

I was worried Southgate was going to take a pretty cowardly approach to a match where England should absolutely have played the way they did, so I'm pleased to see England not look as shit as they have in the run up to the tournament.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah but that's the Torygraph.

Mate there isn’t a shortage of publications sucking off the English NT, so I don’t for a second believe Eng don’t get the recognition that other teams do, it is just classic English ‘woe is me’ mentality.

https://www.business-standard.com/article/sports/live-england-vs-iran-fifa-world-cup-will-english-have-the-ideal-start-122112100703_1.html

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/4806873/jude-bellingham-shines-in-englands-world-cup-win-vs-iran

https://www.skysports.com/football/england-vs-iran/report/462961

• Subscriber

Banana skin avoided in style, very nice going forward, but do think that defence will end up being the undoing of England - 2 conceded today and Azmoun's chance was a sitter as well, you can get at England.

Think England are nailed to win the group after how it went today, the two best results. Iran were piss poor, so much better in previous tournaments.

Well, that was one of England's most dominant performances at a World Cup for decades. In fairness, England should and could have scored more than 6 goals, with the many chances they created. England should definitely have had a penalty early on, when Maguire was manhandled in the penalty box. Maguire also hit the crossbar with a powerful header in the 1st half as well and there were other missed chances. 

Bellingham was excellent, just as he has been at club level so far this season, it's hard to believe that he is still only 19. He deserved the opening goal, with his accurate header from a floated cross. Saka also scored twice and there was a goal apiece as well from Rashford, Grealish and even Sterling. Some of Iran's defending was very poor though, especially for Saka's 2nd goal, Rashford's goal and the final goal from Grealish. Taremi looked like Iran's only outlet. He took his opening goal well, but Maguire just let him run past him in the build-up to the goal, probably because Maguire was injured, as he left the field with an injury straight after that and Iran's 2nd goal from Taremi was a penalty.

The humiliating loss for Iran hopefully reverberates back to the ruling Iranian authorities, who are suppressing their own people and helping Putin's regime to massacre innocent Ukrainians. It's bad enough to concede 4 or 5 goals at a World Cup, but to concede 6 goals is degrading. Great start for England though and their goal-fest against Iran, will boost their morale ahead of their upcoming matches. Wales and the USA will be much sterner opposition, but England should feel confident of finishing in first place, certainly their goal-difference has been given a huge boost,

3 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I swear everyone has forgotten England won 6-1 against Panama. 

Bit of a quality difference between Panama & Iran, though.

I’m not saying this performance was some sort of incredible feat, but they have put six past a relatively highly rated Asian side, so it’s fair to be somewhat optimistic, or at the very least positive. 

48 minutes ago, Rick said:

Bit of a quality difference between Panama & Iran, though.

I’m not saying this performance was some sort of incredible feat, but they have put six past a relatively highly rated Asian side, so it’s fair to be somewhat optimistic, or at the very least positive. 

Asian sides suck ass. 

• Administrator

I find it staggering that this is the only group where all of the sides are ranked in the top 20.

I know the FIFA rankings aren't much to go by, but after watching yesterday games it's quite surprising. 

• The topic was unpinned

Probably our best ever opening world cup match performance. Even when we won it we started with a draw. I don't think southgate gets enough credit for some of the results. We use to struggle to beat teams like this and didn't even manage to beat them at times. Under southgate we have had our two biggest winnings margins in the world cup and also had our two biggest quarter final winning margins 

Archived