talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group B - R1 - England 6-2 Iran - Monday 21st November, 2022

football forum

On 16/11/2022 at 21:07, Reluctant Striker said:

I predicted 2-0, but a painful 1-0 through to 6-0 feels possible. I think USA & Wales will be more likely to draw or even win Vs England.

Fairly sure it's predicted we kind of have to meet up with a big name nation if we get to whatever Q-Final.

Not a chance. Much like what @Dr. Gonzo said for Iran, America and Iran are beatable for us.

It'll be England top, though I think the group is wide open for second spot.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Not even sure England top is a given. 

I am personally very confident that England will top this group. They are by far the best team on paper, with all due respect to the other sides. I would personally like to see the Welsh finish 2nd in the group. But having seen the Welsh being played off the park in Cardiff by Ukraine a few months ago, I have a feeling that it might be the US who finish 2nd. But with Bale and Ramsey in their team, the Welsh have two quality players who could help to inspire them at the World Cup. So, I hope the Welsh do well.

8 hours ago, Michael said:

I am personally very confident that England will top this group. They are by far the best team on paper, with all due respect to the other sides. I would personally like to see the Welsh finish 2nd in the group. But having seen the Welsh being played off the park in Cardiff by Ukraine a few months ago, I have a feeling that it might be the US who finish 2nd. But with Bale and Ramsey in their team, the Welsh have two quality players who could help to inspire them at the World Cup. So, I hope the Welsh do well.

Cheers. :)

We got battered in that game, though our performances against the likes of Belgium and Netherlands (despite us playing an extra game in our play off final) in the Nations League suggests that we can compete (the two Netherlands games we lost due to injury time goals from them).

I think England will top the group, but couldn't call 2nd really.

• Subscriber
On 19/11/2022 at 21:32, Dr. Gonzo said:

Didn’t that get scrapped?

No it didn't. My brother was out there for planning and said that they got the airflow working a week before the games so atleast the players and fans don't have any kind of discomfort. Of course that's not to negate some of the stuff that's come out of Qatar regarding fans and the stuff they have gone through there but atleast there's clean air and a better climate in the stadiums.

Not entirely sure I see the benefit in making Mason Mount the extra man in midfield but we aren’t exactly blessed with depth at centre mid, hopefully Maddison can get fit soon.

Otherwise I can’t argue too much with that team. A good mix of regulars and in form players. Would rather not see Maguire start but here we are

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Danny said:

Not entirely sure I see the benefit in making Mason Mount the extra man in midfield but we aren’t exactly blessed with depth at centre mid, hopefully Maddison can get fit soon.

Otherwise I can’t argue too much with that team. A good mix of regulars and in form players. Would rather not see Maguire start but here we are

I guess Mount is the link between Bellingham/Rice and the 3 forwards.

Regardless, there's enough in that team that shouldn't have any worries against Iran.

I'd have started Foden over Sterling.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

I guess Mount is the link between Bellingham/Rice and the 3 forwards.

Regardless, there's enough in that team that shouldn't have any worries against Iran.

I'd have started Foden over Sterling.

There is enough talent there but I think we’re underestimating the power of World Cup shocks and the quality of Iran considering our recent form 

Expected lineup but can't really complain. Was hoping for Trippier at LB so White could get the RB spot where he's been brilliant so far this season but I doubt it's going to be a big issue. Azmoun not fit enough to start so that's one of their big weapons unavailable.

3-0.

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Danny said:

There is enough talent there but I think we’re underestimating the power of World Cup shocks and the quality of Iran considering our recent form 

Iran will intentionally camp in their own half. Unless they nail a counter-attack, I can't see them pulling off a shock.

• The title was changed to Group B - R1 - England 6-1 Iran - Monday 21st November, 2022
  • The title was changed to Group B - R1 - England 6-2 Iran - Monday 21st November, 2022
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived