• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group B - R1 - England 6-2 Iran - Monday 21st November, 2022

football forum

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Danny said:

We’re not keeping many cleansheets this tournament if we stick with the back 4, could easily have conceded 3 goals today.

Dont feel overly confident when we get pressed or hit on the counter and better sides will exploit that. With that said im not sure how open we’ll play again for the rest of the tournament.

Good goals scored though and a comfortable win

This is the kind of match where it’s fine if England play like that. They had so much of the ball and were barely threatened. Iran without Ezatolahi in midfield is basically a side without a midfield & look how shit that defending was. And even if Iran were full strength England should still have played like they did today - they’d absolutely outclass them like they did today.

It's the point I've been making for a good while now. Rice isn't a natural DM or holding midfielder. He will get caught in the defensive transition. Add Bellingham and it makes it worse. 

For all of Southgate's faults, recognising this and playing a back 5 is a smart move. 

16 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

This is the kind of match where it’s fine if England play like that. They had so much of the ball and were barely threatened. Iran without Ezatolahi in midfield is basically a side without a midfield & look how shit that defending was. And even if Iran were full strength England should still have played like they did today - they’d absolutely outclass them like they did today.

Yeah I was never really worried about losing once we scored the first few goals, but there were consistent defensive errors throughout the game that we struggled with that seemed quite fundamental. Playing out of a press and defending counter attacks, I think against the US and Wales if we defend like that we’ll be creating trouble for ourselves.

Not saying it’s going to cause us to loss 5-0 or other worst case scenarios, but for me there are fundamental issues with how we defended today that need to be improved upon. With that said our defence is our biggest weak point so how much we can improve upon that I don’t know, which makes me think we might go for a you score 3, we score 4 approach instead.

13 minutes ago, Cicero said:

It's the point I've been making for a good while now. Rice isn't a natural DM or holding midfielder. He will get caught in the defensive transition. Add Bellingham and it makes it worse. 

For all of Southgate's faults, recognising this and playing a back 5 is a smart move. 

Surprised he didnt get minutes today tbh

12 minutes ago, Danny said:

yeah, if hes fit then nows a good time to get him up and running

Yeah if England want to assert any dominance in a progressive set up against the better sides Phillips and Bellingham need to be in the midfield. 

Not used to England smashing 6 to start a tournament. Usually its a hard fought cagey start so to thrash a side with no real scares made a nice change.

I just hope we have the confidence to remain on the front foot and take the game to USA and Wales than all this patience/cautious malarky. Go at them early, look for the early goal than wait for chances.

We've got great attacking options, let's bloody make the most of it. If we lose down the line 3-2 or something like that, so be it. I'd rather see an England team play with little fear and go out that way than trying to play a game that isn't to our players strength's.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Not used to England smashing 6 to start a tournament. Usually its a hard fought cagey start so to thrash a side with no real scares made a nice change.

I just hope we have the confidence to remain on the front foot and take the game to USA and Wales than all this patience/cautious malarky. Go at them early, look for the early goal than wait for chances.

We've got great attacking options, let's bloody make the most of it. If we lose down the line 3-2 or something like that, so be it. I'd rather see an England team play with little fear and go out that way than trying to play a game that isn't to our players strength's.

Wales will play similarly to Iran (although not as defensively) but they do have more quality. What I liked today was that at times we moved the ball very quickly to get in behind even though Iran had so many players back. Wales will be more disciplined and organised. 

Conceding the 2 goals maybe takes a little gloss of what could have been, and maybe still is a statement opening.

Bellingham really impresses me more & more. I've seen England have defensive, goal scoring & creative midfielders. But can't recall anyone else doing all of it so well & reminding me of Yaya Toure. I think Real, Barca, Juve, Bayern, PSG could all be interested, if he's in no rush to take sides in the 'Big 6' contest.

Saka could well have an equally career defining tournament. 

Foden has to be at the back of the queue right now, for those who go by what happens in the latest match. And was already for some. Southgate gave me the line up I wanted to see.

Just now, Reluctant Striker said:

Conceding the 2 goals maybe takes a little gloss of what could have been, and maybe still is a statement opening.

Bellingham really impresses me more & more. I've seen England have defensive, goal scoring & creative midfielders. But can't recall anyone else doing all of it so well & reminding me of Yaya Toure. I think Real, Barca, Juve, Bayern, PSG could all be interested, if he's in no rush to take sides in the 'Big 6' contest.

Saka could well have an equally career defining tournament. 

Foden has to be at the back of the queue right now, for those who go by what happens in the latest match. And was already for some. Southgate gave me the line up I wanted to see.

Agree with Foden, just doesn’t really hit his best form in England’s setup

F*ck me, hear we go, McGuire gets a bear hug, no foul, Iran gets brushed by an arm and its a penalty.

Who is monitoring VAR? the 'Kin chuckle brothers!!!

I dispiar, its not a lot to ask is it, just apply the rules consistently.

• The title was changed to Group B - R1 - England 6-2 Iran - Monday 21st November, 2022
4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Wow when Saka gets the ball they chant “bisharaaf” - which means “without honour” it’s a pretty big insult, wonder why

Apparently it was directed to the Iran national team and the mics just cut it out after Saka passed the ball away.

• Subscriber

Great performance but it was Iran ffs. Not gonna lie, but i'm cringing already at the "it's coming home" shite from the casuals. Hate to sound miserable but i can't fucking stand casuals in any sport. Bandwagon cunts.

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Great performance but it was Iran ffs

Never understand this kind of comment. 

You can only beat what's in front of you and we've done it in style, scoring 6 goals in the process. 

If it was just a 1-0 people would moan that we didn't thrash them. You even said 'great performance' :what:

33 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Great performance but it was Iran ffs. Not gonna lie, but i'm cringing already at the "it's coming home" shite from the casuals. Hate to sound miserable but i can't fucking stand casuals in any sport. Bandwagon cunts.

Mate it's a World Cup, people are living through some of the worst financial hardship for decades, England are perennially shit and we're living through a period of time where people can actually get excited by the team. If you can't have a laugh and sing it's coming home now, then when can you?

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Stan said:

Never understand this kind of comment. 

You can only beat what's in front of you and we've done it in style, scoring 6 goals in the process. 

If it was just a 1-0 people would moan that we didn't thrash them. You even said 'great performance' :what:

It was great, but to go from nothing to we are definitely winning after hammering Iran is a bit zzzzzzzzzz

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, Danny said:

Mate it's a World Cup, people are living through some of the worst financial hardship for decades, England are perennially shit and we're living through a period of time where people can actually get excited by the team. If you can't have a laugh and sing it's coming home now, then when can you?

I'll start singing that in the knockouts.

Oh... and hypocritically maybe Friday when i'm out with the lads after a meal watching the game.

I guess it just drains me when Karen's jump on the bandwagon on social media. 

3 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

I'll start singing that in the knockouts.

Oh... and hypocritically maybe Friday when i'm out with the lads after a meal watching the game.

I guess it just drains me when Karen's jump on the bandwagon on social media. 

It's the world cup mate... are you really surprised it's got loads of casual fans xD

5 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

It was great, but to go from nothing to we are definitely winning after hammering Iran is a bit zzzzzzzzzz

Not sure anyone has actually said we are definitely winning have they?

I do get you though, quite a few of the rugby lads go out and watch all the games where I live and start throwing pints around when we score etc, does annoy me a bit that 😂

35 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

On the flip side, people would be wanking if it was Argentina, Brazil, France etc saying “lOoK aT tHeM bEiNg PuT tO tHe SworD bY a ClASs TeAm”

• The topic was unpinned

Archived