talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group B - R1 - USA 1-1 Wales - Monday 21st November, 2022

football forum

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t get it at all and these broadcasts don’t help in getting people interested in soccer. You have 100 minutes of guys running up and down the field and fall every 2 minutes to try and stop play because they got beaten. Then there is no winner a tie and the welsh fans were happy. I don’t know much about soccer but as an athlete I’m never happy with a tie. I tried to watch but it is a very low excitement sport. 

9 minutes ago, Stan said:

Makes up for not giving 100% in the first half xD

Didn't watch the first half to be fair was at the gym. 

Really impressed with the Welsh support as well. I didn't expect that many to be in the stadium, fair play to them. 

So happy that Wales didn't lose against the USA. It was a game of two halves really, with the USA having the best of the 1st half and Wales being the better team in the 2nd half. Early in the game, Sargeant hit the outside of the post with a header for the USA in the 10th minute. The US opened the scoring with a neat finish from Weah in the 36th minute. 

Wales though, were much better in the 2nd half, probably partly due to the introduction of Moore after half-time. Ben Davies's diving header, forced US keeper Matt Turner into an excellent save, as he was forced to tip the ball over the crossbar. Moore also had a great chance to score for Wales, as his towering header flew narrowly over the crossbar. Bale was then blatantly fouled inside the penalty area, and he earned a penalty for Wales. He took the penalty himself and scored, making no mistake with his effort. Brendan Johnson then had another excellent chance to score, after he was put through on goal by an excellent back-heel by Moore, but Johnson's shot at goal was straight at Turner.

All in all, it was a positive result for Wales in their first World Cup for 64 years. Bale again, was their saviour, as he seems to always come good when it matters most. They will in particular take confidence from their spirited 2nd half performance. Fingers crossed that Wales qualify in 2nd place behind England in this group.

• The topic was unpinned

Typical performance from the US camp.  When we do get a goal we try to protect a lead instead of putting the game out of reach.  I'd have taken a point before the match started but it still feels like a consolation point.  Still waiting for this "sleeping giant of soccer" to wake up and show they're not just hype when on the big stage.

Archived