talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group C - R1 - Argentina 1-2 Saudi Arabia - Tuesday 22nd November, 2022

football forum

• Subscriber
Just now, Cicero said:

There was a lot of complacency in their play. Sort of arrogance. 

Proper karma. 

I'd imagine they came to the game thinking this would be an easy start. Then they got pushed around and paid the price. I think Mexico will dump them out of this tournament. That team always shows up at a tournament and they are very hard to play against.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that's the shock of the tournament so far, Saudi Arabia beat Argentina. Argentina along with Brazil, were the favourites to win this tournament with the bookies going into this World Cup. They Argies will now have to regroup and make sure they get wins against Mexico and Poland, if they want to secure qualification from this group. For the Saudis, they've just won their most difficult group game on paper. They will be feeling very confident against Mexico and Poland, even a draw against both those teams, would see the Saudis qualify. 

What a win though, the 2 Saudi goals were excellently taken as well. They look like a really physically strong and hardworking team, with several technically talented players as well. They will be tough for anyone to play against, if they manage to keep up these performances.

2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I'd imagine they came to the game thinking this would be an easy start. Then they got pushed around and paid the price. I think Mexico will dump them out of this tournament. That team always shows up at a tournament and they are very hard to play against.

That’s the fear. Mexico players will want it more. Smug attitude coming from the Argentine players atm. 

1 minute ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Told ya'll Argentina sucked @Spike. However didn't dare to hope for this. 

Argentina have the same average age as a geriatric ward.

Why the fuck are you mentioning me, ya souse? I don’t remember the last time I even raised an opinion on Argentina

6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Certainly makes it a difficult task. Need to beat both Poland and Mexico now. No slip ups. 

The pressure will certainly now be on for Argentina. But they are obviously capable of getting two wins, but it's not going to be easy. Argentina has to look for two wins in their remaining games, but Poland and Mexico are likely to find Saudi Arabia just as tough. So it could be that Argentina might still go through, even if they don't get 6 points in their remaining games. Who knows, but I think all the games are probably going to be tight in this group.

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

Al-Shehri has scored a contender for goal of the tournament imo.

Really? Don't get me wrong, it was great run and shot to score, but nothing compared to Al-Dawsari's goal and Saudis 2nd goal. Al-Dawsari cut inside from outside the area, beat 3 or 4 players in the process, and then unleashed an unstoppable swerving thunderbolt of a strike. That's more the contender for goal of the tournament in my opinion.

Just now, Devil-Dick Willie said:

My bad, I was calling Brazil shit and extending that to other south American teams and you defended Brazil, not Argentina. 

I barely even defended Brazil, you were the one saying the bookies were sucking them off in 2014 and I was saying that was one of the shittezt teams ever led by fucking Fred at centre forward.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Shocking how not one ball was played over the top from Argentina. Always out wide.

Even when they tried, the supply was terrible from Di Maria or Messi.

Saudi played it to a tee. In with a chance even when it got to 1-0, and made the most of their opportunities.

Argentina were naive, complacent, arrogant. Saudi Arabia disciplined, organised and actually believed they could win.

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Michael said:

Really? Don't get me wrong, it was great run and shot to score, but nothing compared to Al-Dawsari's goal and Saudis 2nd goal. Al-Dawsari cut inside from outside the area, beat a couple of players in the process, and then unleashed an unstoppable swerving thunderbolt of a strike. That's more the contender for goal of the tournament in my opinion.

Pardon had the wrong player and you're right it was Al-Dawsari 

Well, I did have an odd strong sense & predicted Argentina may somehow end up 2nd in this group. Just not off this game. Huge pressure on their next 2 now. But given the offside goals, that on another day could have been 3 or 4 to Argentina before half time, I wouldn't put it beyond them coming good.

I think I randomly included in a post just the other day, they won in 1990 after starting off with defeat to Cameroon.

6 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

I think I randomly included in a post just the other day, they won in 1990 after starting off with defeat to Cameroon.

They didn't win it in 1990, West Germany won it that year, but Argentina did reach the final.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived