The better place to talk football.

Group E - R1 - Germany 1-2 Japan - Wednesday 23rd November, 2022

football forum

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

What a touch and what a finish!

More needs to be made and said for that sequence. 

The first touch to leave the CB in his wake and allow himself an open attempt at goal was one of the best levels of technique I’ve seen at the biggest stage. Mesmerizing. 

Germany 😂😂😂😂

Absolute chumps. Shadow of some of the great sides they have churned out over the years. Defensively as bad as us, maybe even worse. They miss an actual '9' massively.

I didn't realise Japan were as decent as that. They have some very technically gifted players. That Matoma at Brighton changed the game when he came on. So calm on the ball.

A bit of composure is all it needs sometimes in the final third.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

LOL at Rudiger too with Germany 1-0 up.

Won't be so cocky next time I bet.

I love seeing him fail.

One of the cockiest pricks in the game. 

7 minutes ago, Lucas said:

LOL at Rudiger too with Germany 1-0 up.

Won't be so cocky next time I bet.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

I love seeing him fail.

One of the cockiest pricks in the game. 

It’s blocked, what happened?

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Spike said:

It’s blocked, what happened?

He was chasing the ball, which was going out for a goal-kick, alongside a Japanese player and did this weird exaggerated running motion as he was quicker than the opponent. 

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

He was chasing the ball, which was going out for a goal-kick, alongside a Japanese player and did this weird exaggerated running motion as he was quicker than the opponent. 

Oh yeah I saw that live, hilarious 

Watched some of Germany and they had chances to score more and close out the match, one in particular I remember was when Musiala cuts in form the right and goes past two defenders with Havertz in front of him poised yet see stars in his and goes past Havertz and more defenders only to blast it wide. 

Thought Neuers positioning for the 2nd goal was bizarre, credit to Japan for making the changes that delivered. 

Before the world cup I expressed my desire to see us start a real striker, not Havertz, not Gnabry and not Werner or Muller up front as I felt it would end the same way it has for the last 2 tournaments. Dogshit, with maximum possession and minimum chances put away, due to no one having killer instinct in the box. 

Well fuck. Germany have learned nothing. I hoped Flick would be different, but he isn't. 

Remember when England would play the fucking most brainless midfield combinations humanly possible to 'get the best team on paper on the pitch'? Well that's Germany right now but instead of an unbalanced midfield you have no striker, and worse, Havertz is out of form even. Gross, just gross.  

1 hour ago, JoshBRFC said:

Is anyone really surprised by this result? Average overrated team getting a hard on over a striker who's banging them in, in a league equivalent to the SPL. I think they'll struggle to finish 3rd.

Ignoring the obvious fishing no one is getting a hard on over a striker. Especially one who isn't starting the game. In fact, the whole point of the discussion is that Fullkrug is a medium level player that SHOULD start instead of EPL shite like Havertz. 

How would we line up boys were the power in your hands? 

GK. Personally I like Ter Stegen. He is in his prime and is one of the top shot stoppers in the world
CBs. Sule and Rudiger. Has to be right? 
FBs. Raum for sure. I think I like Klosterman over Kehrer but we'll see
Midfield. This one is easy to fuck up if you overthink it, so don't fucking overthink it. Kimmich and Gundogan are very similar, so don't play them at the same time unless you're putting Gundy behind the striker for some reason. Muller and Havertz are very similar so don't play them at the same time! 
Width. Sane and Gnabry. Do not play either as the striker. 
Striker. Play the striker you picked. Literally the only 1 really. 

--------------------Ter Stegen----------------
Klosterman--Sule--Rudiger--Raum
-------Kimmich------------Goretzka-------
----------------Muller/Havertz---------------
Gnabry---------Fullkrug--------------Sane

With Gundogan also likely to have a role to play often. 

That is an unedited post I made on November 15th. 

Germany went ahead and basically did everything I didn't want. 

Played Neuer who looked awful for both goals just because he's good with his feet, when Ter Stegen is miles better.
Schotterback was crap
Kimmich and Gundogan at the same time. Filling the same role. 
Havertz and Muller at the same time. Filling the same role and literally trying to fill the same spaces.
No striker. 

Am I fucking retarted? Am I so bad at football strategy that I'm blind to Flicks genius and I can't see the obvious strengths of his line up. Would mine would be 10x worse? 

2 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

Is anyone really surprised by this result? Average overrated team getting a hard on over a striker who's banging them in, in a league equivalent to the SPL. I think they'll struggle to finish 3rd.

The Bundesliga equivalent to the SPL? Just look at all the Bundesliga clubs kicking ass in Europe this year, not to mention the fact that Bayern are likely to win the Champions League again this season. The German team has some excellent players, they had so many chances to score today, but credit must go to the Japanese keeper Gonda and his defenders. The German team may not be ticking as smoothly as they would like and maybe the manager didn't choose the ideal starting line-up today, but there is no doubting the class of some the players in their team. 

The result today is a surprise, but it's not necessarily a huge surprise, because we all know that the Japanese have some quality players themselves. Doan, Asano, Minamino, Endo, Yoshida and Gonda were excellent for Japan today. Japan should be getting all the credit for this win, they played with heart, defended stoutly when Germany attacked, and they did excellently to score their goals.

Spain, who love to hold the ball more than they love drawing breath play Asensio or Morata up top. Because they tried the false 9 bullshit and they realized without Messi it wasn't a winning ticket. And that's fucking Spain. Who were playing a midfield and wingers who played that strategy at their club for a decade. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived