The better place to talk football.

Group E - R1 - Germany 1-2 Japan - Wednesday 23rd November, 2022

football forum

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
21 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Before the world cup I expressed my desire to see us start a real striker, not Havertz, not Gnabry and not Werner or Muller up front as I felt it would end the same way it has for the last 2 tournaments. Dogshit, with maximum possession and minimum chances put away, due to no one having killer instinct in the box. 

Well fuck. Germany have learned nothing. I hoped Flick would be different, but he isn't. 

Remember when England would play the fucking most brainless midfield combinations humanly possible to 'get the best team on paper on the pitch'? Well that's Germany right now but instead of an unbalanced midfield you have no striker, and worse, Havertz is out of form even. Gross, just gross.  

Honestly man I was fucking angry when I saw that starting 11. I figured it was still good enough to beat Japan and it was but holy fuck. Why on earth is Süle you're starting RB he was bad, real bad. Why the fuck is Gündogan starting beside Kimmich when for starters it makes no sense and secondly YOU HAVE GORETZKA. I Fucking hate this false 9 bullshit, you have two strikers you took play them. Why is Füllkrug here fucking play him you coward. And Neuer unfortunately hasnt been great this year, the writings been on the wall that second goal has no business going in short side on him... I can understand why hes starting still but thats not a good look.

I love Flick for what he did... but man stop trying to Jogi this team man. 

16 hours ago, Cicero said:

Didn’t Spain win euro 2012 with a false 9?

The false 9 position confuses me a bit. Can you play with just a false 9 and not another striker? 

I read that Fabregas played as a false 9 in the final and that was one of the best international performances ever. But since I don't quite understand the position I don't know if he had a another striker infront of him

10 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

The false 9 position confuses me a bit. Can you play with just a false 9 and not another striker? 

I read that Fabregas played as a false 9 in the final and that was one of the best international performances ever. But since I don't quite understand the position I don't know if he had a another striker infront of him

The false 9 position is basically an attacking midfielder/winger playing upfront but not really doing what a striker does. Basically the most forward midfielder who is more of an extra midfielder than a striker.

Sometimes a midfielder plays there trying to play like a regular striker and I wouldn't call that a false nine. Just a player playing out of position. With that in mind I'd say the term is mostly misused.

• The topic was unpinned

On the False 9, or maybe my username as I think of it. Yes, like how Foden or Sterling can be played as the 'striker' for their clubs in England. But they are not really the same as when a Kane or whoever is a true striker.

It's kind of a tag to maybe say, don't judge too harshly. And I can remember the 'emergency' striker, when a centre defender would play up front during an injury crisis. Chris Sutton, Dion Dublin & Paul Warhurst all played as centre backs & centre forwards.

I do also think it's an interesting point to contrast the Bundesliga & Premier League. The Bundesliga must have far more Germans playing in it than English in the Premier League. When England fail in recent times I find I wonder if something more like the Bundesliga is better. After these 2 opening matches & actually the last few tournaments, is it maybe starting to make the case that any English playing in the Premier League kind of has to be world class? Would be interesting to know if any Germans are starting to question anything along these lines.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

On the False 9, or maybe my username as I think of it. Yes, like how Foden or Sterling can be played as the 'striker' for their clubs in England. But they are not really the same as when a Kane or whoever is a true striker.

It's kind of a tag to maybe say, don't judge too harshly. And I can remember the 'emergency' striker, when a centre defender would play up front during an injury crisis. Chris Sutton, Dion Dublin & Paul Warhurst all played as centre backs & centre forwards.

I do also think it's an interesting point to contrast the Bundesliga & Premier League. The Bundesliga must have far more Germans playing in it than English in the Premier League. When England fail in recent times I find I wonder if something more like the Bundesliga is better. After these 2 opening matches & actually the last few tournaments, is it maybe starting to make the case that any English playing in the Premier League kind of has to be world class? Would be interesting to know if any Germans are starting to question anything along these lines.

The heart of this german contingent plays for Bayern. The same team that just went undefeated yet again in their CL group - twice thrashing Barca while not conceding. I dont say this to brag I say this to put it in perspective. This Bayern team isnt unbeatable and went through spells of shit this season already BUT when we played a true #9 (Choupo-Moting in this case) the team looks completely different. Füllkrug is Germany's Choups Magoops. I dont care that he isnt Kane or Benzema it doesnt fucking matter. The sum of Germany's attack is much, much better with a #9. Also playing Gündogan who plays in you're beloved league beside Kimmich is absolute nonsense. They are redundant as fuck. If you play Gündogan more forward so be it but he absolutely has no business starting beside Kimmich. Its even more offensive when Kimmich plays his club football beside the guy that fucking should be starting and gives Germany much like he gives Bayern a different type of player they do not have otherwise in the middle of the park (Goretzka)..

Archived