talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

U19's Euro 2017 Final - England 2-1 Portugal - ENGLAND CHAMPIONS

football forum

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What England's youth players are starting to achieve is all from the hard work that's been put in place some years back.  Many thought it should be spontaneous and instant but these things take time to take effect.  The next generations will be even better!

18 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

What England's youth players are starting to achieve is all from the hard work that's been put in place some years back.  Many thought it should be spontaneous and instant but these things take time to take effect.  The next generations will be even better!

Until they get to Boothroyd, then he'll suck all the football right out of them.

• The topic was pinned

It seems like we've got the winning mentality implemented in our youth sides but I'm not really inspired by most of these players. Have to say Gedson Fernandes is a class apart.

It tells you something when we keep reaching the late stages of international competitions in pretty much every age group though. It's more relevant than winning this particular game, even though winning trophies is always nice as it brings that extra confidence and reinforces the winning mentality of these players.

As for the competition, it's weird that there's an edition every year. It loses prestige and glamour.

Judging by recent events it would seem like England, Portugal, Spain and Germany have got a bright future ahead.

For me the age group that will be revolutionary are the ones at cadet level around Europe in around 7 to 8 years time at the earliest.  There are some amazing really young kids playing stuff I've never seen before.

4 hours ago, Machado said:

As for the competition, it's weird that there's an edition every year. It loses prestige and glamour.

This is to allow as much opportunity as possible for the youth players to experience top level tournament football. Especially in the earlier years, they will all be developing at different speeds, hence extending the period between major tournaments would limit the chances to play at the very top level, and they are invaluable experiences for these players.

• The title was changed to U19's Euro 2017 Final - England 2-1 Portugal - ENGLAND CHAMPIONS
  • Subscriber

What a summer for the youngsters. The last thing I want to do is overly hype up another generation of English players because you can only read so much into youth competitions, but you can't ignore what a fantastic summer they've had. Under 20 World Champions, Under 19 European Champions and losing on penalties in the Under 21 European Championship semi-finals.

Hopefully someone influential in the system plays it down and makes sure these lads keep their heads down to give them a chance of emulating this success in the senior setup down the line.

The excuse that we are not producing any talent no longer washes. The focus should solely be on getting the transition from youth teams to first team.

I don't think we will see any results until we change the rules and force the hand of premier league clubs.

16 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

What a summer for the youngsters. The last thing I want to do is overly hype up another generation of English players because you can only read so much into youth competitions, but you can't ignore what a fantastic summer they've had. Under 20 World Champions, Under 19 European Champions and losing on penalties in the Under 21 European Championship semi-finals.

Hopefully someone influential in the system plays it down and makes sure these lads keep their heads down to give them a chance of emulating this success in the senior setup down the line.

You lost the u17 final on penalties as well (against Spain in May). Very promising times for English football. 

As Harvey says... Unless competing clubs take a chance on these players, then sadly this will all fade to black.

Golden generations are effective due to them continuing to play together in every subsequent stage in their careers. Clubs in the Premier League have a lot of money at their disposal and they are forced to spend not only so as to raise their own standards but also because many of those clubs are takeover entities that have foreign ownership. There's no way in hell any foreign investor is going to buy into an experiment with youth.

Look at Man City and how much they've spent on updating their academy which is practically a carbon copy of La Masia... How many of those players make it into the first team? At most they go out on loan by their masses as with Chelsea and many never make it at all. 

The question is though is would fans except some kind of rule which means teams have to have an English quota like in Germany?

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

The question is though is would fans except some kind of rule which means teams have to have an English quota like in Germany?

I don't see why not. In your 25 registered players you need to have ten English and in the 18 man match squad you need six or seven English players. For Everton that would mean we could field Pickford, Coleman, Keane, Williams, Baines, Schneiderlin, Gueye, Klaassen, Barkley, Rooney, Sandro with Davies and Lookman on the bench. If you adapt a rule like that the top clubs will soon find enough good English players and make sure they are developed enough that you don't see a dip in the quality of the team.

That rule isn't enough!  That's a squad rule and only goes half way.

Players need to play and for example in Spain, Italy or in Portugal they do play.  Even at the top sides they play before anyone goes on about the fact that there's less money to spend in the league which is true but it doesn't affect the fact that talent gets used.  Obviously at the top end sides the time they get to play isn't as much as at other clubs, but they do play and it isn't just exclusive to meaningless cup competitions where the time on the pitch comes to nothing.

As things stand right now in the Premier League (that division is the only one that counts because you don't want to blow the kid up in the other divisions that have nothing whatsoever to do with what they need to develop in their final stage) there is too much money and there's too much dreaming.  Clubs use the product to promote their own product which tends to be owned by foreign investors these days.  I get fans wanting foreign investment because of the hunger to be recognised, but it comes at a cost.  Some fans won't give a damn about that cost and I get it...  But then again those fans won't or shouldn't then have a right to say "I don't follow England because they're crap" or "only club football matters" because they're disillusioned with the situation in the national side.

The FA can only go so far and implementing forceful rules won't help because the clubs will just look for ways to bypass them.  Unless they force a quota to be on the field of play (something no Premier League club will accept) then there's no other way other than to have coaches betting on youth.

For me as a football fan there's nothing more satisfying than a REAL youth product coming through the ranks to become a mainstay in the first team.  Fans get behind those players and they give both the player and the club a lot more slack for disappointing results every now and then.

For me it's a myth that English players don't get the opportunity. You name another country where the likes of Stuart Downing, James Milner and Jordan Henderson all get a chance at one of the bigger clubs.

The only club for me who don't use their academies are Chelsea and City, but their players get loaned out and if the player wants they can move like Sturridge did, like Chalobah just has. Loans do work.

Anyone telling me that Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, United, Liverpool, Southampton, Swansea etc don't give their players a chance and that the other lower clubs wouldn't snap at the chance of loaning or signing the bigger clubs academy products for me aren't telling the truth.

Archived