talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Shit Beer Tier List - a TF365 community project

football forum

Killian's Irish Red, brewed in the Irish tradition by Coors. I call it an "inport" because it's in the import section but is brewed in the US.

I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by the Killian's. It's very smooth and has a malty finish but no shit aftertaste. Under-hopped but extremely drinkable. As you can see, almost no head when poured from the bottle but it does have a nice color.  Would buy again.

20221122_174052.jpg

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

So, I just had that Carlsberg Expørt to finish the night off. 

Denmark (but brewed in the UK), lager, 4.8%. I had many of the green Carlsberg Pilsner ones, both bottled and on tap, in the past, but I think this is the first time I tried the Export one. Definitely better - more flavour, richer, a rather nice bitter touch, a bit malty. Decent. Paid 2.5$ for a can, but once again, that's import tax... 5.5/10.

So if I had to compare the three sorts I had today, then it's Beerlao > Carlberg Export > Birra Moretti.

I will say that people are quite harsh on lagers. It is easily the most difficult beer to make, grain build, the cold fermentation, oxygen exposure, and light hopping makes any mistakes in the recipe or brewing process incredibly apparent. The flavour is right there, it has nothing to hide behind. You’ll find most smaller breweries don’t make lagers for that reason

On 22/11/2022 at 07:04, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I work at a bottle shop. Here are my thoughts on some euro trash, Mexican trash, Asia trash and Aussie trash

Perroni (Italy they say)- pale lager. 4/10. The initial flavor is kinda there but did they use gutter water to make it? Also expensive in Australia for what it is. $55

Corona (Mexico)- piss pale lager. 6/10. Expensive considering it's closer to water than a beer, but with a slice of lime goes down innocently enough. $57

Carlsberg (Denmark) - Anotherfuckingpalelager (pilsner) 5/10. Inoffensive. $43.

Great Northern (Australia) - Lager. 5/10. Meh. Probably a little more flavorful than Carlsberg but gets nasty at the finish. Must be why most drink the lighter version. $ 49.

Chang (Thailand) - Lager. 5/10. I feel like it's the most interesting of the 5/10s, but the roughest at the finish. $55

Bingtang (Thailand)  - Lager 6.5/10. Welcome to the best of the shit 'hot day' beers that I've had. Crisp, a bit hoppy. $47

VB (Australia) - They're all lagers aren't they. 3.5/10. Jesus Christ. Look, it has flavor, but it costs more than its competitors and tastes just slightly worse. $57

Corona over Peroni. Dear god.

• Administrator
13 hours ago, nudge said:

I think I'll go for Peroni, Cobra, Stella and Estrella tomorrow.

Estrella is under-rated. I don't know how Stella is still so popular.

1 hour ago, Toinho said:

Corona over Peroni. Dear god.

Madness. Corona is alright, got no qualms with it. But I've seen people drink it without a lime. Tastes odd without it. 

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Stan said:

Estrella is under-rated.

I agree, but only when it comes to Estrella Galicia. Estrella Damm, not so much...

When it comes to Spanish mainstream beers, it's Estrella Galicia, Alhambra and ice cold Mahou for me. 

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, nudge said:

I agree, but only when it comes to Estrella Galicia. Estrella Damm, not so much...

When it comes to Spanish mainstream beers, it's Estrella Galicia, Alhambra and ice cold Mahou for me. 

3 minutes ago, Danny said:

When it comes to Spanish beers, Madri can drop to the bottom of the ocean

I like Madri :$. It's cheap in Lidl which is also a plus xD 

Probably cheap for a reason...

Mahou is a nice beer. 

Does everyone like Mythos? Nothing outstandingly special, just an easy drink. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, nudge said:

Didn't have time to go to the proper store today, so just grabbed these in the closest daily mart for tonight's test: 

IMG_20221123_181853_1-01.jpeg

+1 for Singha & Hoegaarden.

They serve Singha at Leicester but it's so heavily watered down it's ruined from the first sip. Most beers are actually as who knows how long they've been resting in the pipes...

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

Does everyone like Mythos? Nothing outstandingly special, just an easy drink. 

I liked it in Crete. Inoffensive, clean beer, but it does have a specific aftertaste. 

My favourite Greek macro beers are Mamos, Volkan Santorini Black, and Cretan Kings mountain beer.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Stan said:

+1 for Singha & Hoegaarden.

They serve Singha at Leicester but it's so heavily watered down it's ruined from the first sip. Most beers are actually as who knows how long they've been resting in the pipes...

I posted this earlier in the thread, but the taste difference in Singha brewed in Thailand compared to it brewed under license in other countries is often very significant. Which is a shame, as the original is truly a very enjoyable lager. 

Just now, nudge said:

I posted this earlier in the thread, but the taste difference in Singha brewed in Thailand compared to it brewed under license in other countries is often very significant. Which is a shame, as the original is truly a very enjoyable lager. 

I've heard the same about Guiness.  My ex-boss doesn't drink beer but went to Ireland last month and had to try a Guiness.  He loved it.

• Subscriber
Just now, Coma said:

I've heard the same about Guiness.  My ex-boss doesn't drink beer but went to Ireland last month and had to try a Guiness.  He loved it.

It's similar with many beers (and also expected due to the difference in water used for brewing in different countries), but the Singha case was very extreme, imo. 

Also Heineken in Holland tastes very differently from elsewhere, too. 

Personally, I don't think it's fair that when I'm getting in to work in the morning @nudge is already knee-deep in brews.  You'd think it would work out somehow with being on opposite sides of the world, but since she never sleeps when I get home from work and pour one up she's chin-deep.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Coma said:

Personally, I don't think it's fair that when I'm getting in to work in the morning @nudge is already knee-deep in brews.  You'd think it would work out somehow with being on opposite sides of the world, but since she never sleeps when I get home from work and pour one up she's chin-deep.

Hey I haven't drank them yet... The rest of the post is accurate though xD 

Just the recent beers I've had:

Brouwers (Holland; 4.8%) - The home brand lager of the largest Dutch supermarket chain, Albert Heijn. At around 3 euros for a sixpack it's way cheaper than almost any other beer, and most Dutch beer is actively worse, so actually decent bang for buck. It's actually brewed by Grolsch apparently, which would explain why it's not awful. Still, a pretty inoffensive lager that is really only enjoyable when properly cold, or when you have had too many beers to give a crap. 5/10.

Peroni Nastro Azzuro (Italy; 5.1%) - I actually used to quite like this beer because it was what we call here 'doordrinkpils' - beer that you can keep drinking without getting too drunk or getting a bad taste in your mouth. But it's like they changed something about the recipe recently because it now carries the flavor of old newspapers. At like 7-8 euros for a sixpack, it's also pretty expensive. 4/10.

Birra Moretti (Italy; 4.6%) - Just a nice, standard pilsener that goes pretty well with hot weather. It has a bit of a richer, heavier flavor than the previous 2 beers, almost as if it has more alcohol (which it doesn't). Basically what I buy when I don't know what else to get. It's a little cheaper than Peroni I think, at like 6-7 euros for a sixpack. 6/10.

Lost Lager (UK [though it might be actually brewed in Germany]; 4.5%) - A few months ago I got this beer randomly with my supermarket order, and ever since then it's my go-to beer. It's crisp, fresh, and doesn't have any weird aftertaste. It's pretty much perfect for someone like me who heavily prefers pilseners. Before I drink it, I prefer to take it out of the fridge, put it in the freezer along with a drinking glass, and leave it there for 15 minutes). It's from BrewDog, which is one of those edgy companies with a kind of cringy marketing angle, but I don't really care about that stuff as long as the beer is good. It's not the cheapest beer, though, at about 5.50 euros for a 4-pack of 440ml cans. 9/10.

5 hours ago, Coma said:

Let’s keep Guinness out of this thread thanks.

1st warning.

Archived