talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group B - R2 - Wales 0-2 Iran - Friday 25th November, 2022

football forum

• Administrator
Just now, 6666 said:

Unlikely that Wales are gonna be able to qualify now. Not good today and weren't that good for the first half against USA. Both Bale & Ramsey have looked done as well.

Yeah Ramsey has fallen off a cliff. Very bad today. 

Wales just didn't have any kind of tactic or plan to get over Iran. 

Not having a midfield, let alone a functional one, hindered Wales massively.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Unlikely that Wales are gonna be able to qualify now. Not good today and weren't that good for the first half against USA. Both Bale & Ramsey have looked done as well.

Ramsey and Bale have been done for a while. Think injuries and lack of game time in recent years has done them both in.

They'll retire after we lose against England.

11 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Piss poor from us after 64 years.

Other than that Moore chance in the first half, we offered absolutely nothing at all.

We barely pressured, barely did anything and we deserve to go out. Iran deserved the win and hope they go through to the knock outs.

It's got to be frustrating when it seemed like in the second half against the US, Wales had made changes that seemed to be the answer to that bad first half they had.

But today, Iran made big changes from how they lined up against England... and really Wales played very much like that US first half over the full 90.

I didn't expect Iran to have as many chances as they did. Got to be annoying for the Welsh though that Hennessy fucked them like that, I think with 11v11 they probably don't concede 2 late on like that.

19 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Ramsey and Bale have been done for a while. Think injuries and lack of game time in recent years has done them both in.

The final ball for Wales was terrible today and the general passing in midfield as well. Wales had the bulk of the possession throughout the match, but it looked like they weren't used to being the team asked to dictate the play, with Iran sitting back in numbers and always eager to counterattack in numbers when the opportunity arose. There were simple passes in the Welsh midfield not finding a teammate way too often. When Wales got into the Iranian penalty box, which they did several times, the final ball was shocking. Moore's chance in the 1st half was a huge chance for Wales to score but they missed it.

At the start of the second half, Iran had that big chance with hitting the woodwork. Although Wales continued to have most of the ball, Iran continued to pounce on the counter attacks in numbers. Hennessey being sent-off and the 11 minutes of injury time given at the end of the match, was always going to play in Iran's favour and they took their chances with their man advantage. Conceding goals in the 8th and 11th minutes of injury time was cruel for Wales, but in all honesty they only have themselves to blame, as they were really poor with their passing and energy levels today. Congrats to Iran, but their oppressive regime are probably going to try and milk this win. Allen by the way was totally useless when he came on, shadow of the player he used to be.

Fancied Wales to win but I think the England game showed Iran to be a lot worse than they actually are.

Hard to see Wales qualifying now, should come down to the Iran vs USA game for second place if England hold up their end of the bargain.

41 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

That's true about Ramsey and Bale. I'm afraid I think that Ward is going to concede a bucketful of goals when your Welsh national team plays us. I feel for the Welsh fans though, as they are great. In fact, I think the main reason Wales even qualified is because of their amazing fans and Wales's good form when playing at home in Cardiff. But away from home, Wales have always looked poor or average at best, and they particularly seem to be playing lethargically and woefully in the Middle Eastern heat.

I heard Wayne Hennessey fucked up.

After having to endure him for a number of years I can honestly say it's an absolute disgrace that he's even allowed to call himself a professional footballer. He's been absolutely hopeless since his injury at Wolves in 2012. It baffles that me he's been able to keep his tag as a professional for another ten years.

It's amazing and quite frankly indictment to how embarrassing Wales are that he's even remotely close to getting in to there national squad, let alone starting in a major tournament. It also speaks volumes about the recruitment at top level clubs that's he's been given so many opportunities to continually call himself a professional goalkeeper.

Even if we dropped two divisons I genuinely don't think I'll experience another player as hopeless as he was in my lifetime.

29 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Apparently Klinsmann went a bit racist after calling Iran divers and said they didn’t deserve the win. :clown:

I heard his post match comments and whilst I wouldn't say they were racist, it was a terrible take from Klinsmann, not least because Iran dominated the game, had way more chances and deservedly won. Wales can literally have no complaints, they did nothing.

Klinsmann suggested Iran got in the referee's face, the bench were constantly appealling for decisions, the players used the dark arts with niggly fouls and gamesmanship to gain an advantage. 

And water is wet.

But what has probably wound people up is that he said it's part of Iranian culture. That didn't really need to be said so I can see why people would take offence.

I didn't think they were like that at all against us and I really didn't think they acted like shithouses today. I've seen far worse from Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Portugal and Italy.

4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I heard his post match comments and whilst I wouldn't say they were racist, it was a terrible take from Klinsmann, not least because Iran dominated the game, had way more chances and deservedly won. Wales can literally have no complaints, they did nothing.

Klinsmann suggested Iran got in the referee's face, the bench were constantly appealling for decisions, the players used the dark arts with niggly fouls and gamesmanship to gain an advantage. 

And water is wet.

But what has probably wound people up is that he said it's part of Iranian culture. That didn't really need to be said so I can see why people would take offence.

I didn't think they were like that at all against us and I really didn't think they acted like shithouses today. I've seen far worse from Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Portugal and Italy.

He didn’t say it was Iranian culture, he said it was the team culture created by Quieroz.

15 minutes ago, Spike said:

He didn’t say it was Iranian culture, he said it was the team culture created by Quieroz.

I agree, bad wordage from me there, he insinuated that it was the team's culture although he didn't actually say 'team culture'.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

And water is wet.

I thought it would be weird if the BBC just let him go ahead with being racist, so I doubted that.

Kind of hilarious coming from Klinsmann though considering the way he was as a player.

I shouldn’t be surprised he’s a moron though - earlier this year he said he saw us in the Arab Cup. Even though Iran didn’t play in it because… Iran’s not an Arab country.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

To ignorant western eyes, yeah. But it’s only their fault that they’re idiots.

To be fair on the ignorant the majority of those countries are in the Arabsphere and Iran does have an Arab minority :ph34r:

Well Iran is the biggest country to have Shia Islam which is the second biggest branch of Islam and this crosses borders.

So I can understand why people can make that mistake, the languages are a clue most of the Arab world speak a dialect of Arabic, Iranians speak Farsi. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived