talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group B - R2 - England 0-0 USA - Friday 25th November, 2022

football forum

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Tbh I don’t rate this England squad and I understand why Southgate both plays a back 5 and favors certain players over others. 

I think that we have a lot of very talented players, but we need to be much more consistent. Our defence is our main weakness but going forward we usually create a lot of chances. Foden has to play for me, he's easily one of our best players.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

What happened yesterday can happen again. That's the scary part. 

As for England drawing with the US, I'd think nothing of it. There are teams in this competition with serious attacking prowess and they'll give this English side a hiding if they meet them. 

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I thought world cup used head to head before goal difference? Or am I thinking CL?

Goal difference 

Goals scored 

Head to head points 

Head to head GD

Head to head goals scored 

9 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Neville is right when he says Foden and TAA would get a game for other nations. That Southgate doesn't even bring them on is fucking weird.

I do try and defend Southgate at times because whilst he's limited I think people overrate how good the team can be...with that said I don't see why Trent doesn't get in the team ahead of Trippier as Trippier is a clearly more limited footballer.

It's hard when your national team plays against your club players but for all the criticism at what England didn't do, Tyler Adams was bloody supurb for the States. He was everywhere. It's no surprise to me the USA dominated midfield.

He's been our best player and he's been class for the States in both games. Really looking a steal for us in replacing Phillips, so I'm pleased for him.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

I do try and defend Southgate at times because whilst he's limited I think people overrate how good the team can be...with that said I don't see why Trent doesn't get in the team ahead of Trippier as Trippier is a clearly more limited footballer.

Because trent can't defend? Almost at all? 

Trippier is an elite defender, brilliant from set pieces and solid going forward. 

TAA is a dogshit defender, brilliant from set pieces and brilliant going forward. 

12 hours ago, Danny said:

Mate there are about 6 nations ahead of England at this tournament and then there are about 4/5 nations that we are so and so with. Talk of us having a team that is good enough to win this comp is nonsense imo and if we were to do it then it would be a massive shock that is well above expectation.

Whose expectation, that is the question. England fans generally too pessimistic. At worst you are 5th favourite after Brazil, Argentina, Spain and France.

You do have a good enough squad to win it ffs. Look at France's or Argentina's line up and tell me where's the quality gap. If anything England have better options coming off the bench.

2 minutes ago, Machado said:

England fans generally too pessimistic.

I would say Realistic... 

It's not that we don't get behind our team or that we don't believe we have a team capable of winning something just the reality is that we will put in performances like the one yesterday and play with a complete lack of passion or commitment that leads to our downfall at some point.. We are our own worst enemies..  

1 hour ago, Machado said:

Whose expectation, that is the question. England fans generally too pessimistic. At worst you are 5th favourite after Brazil, Argentina, Spain and France.

You do have a good enough squad to win it ffs. Look at France's or Argentina's line up and tell me where's the quality gap. If anything England have better options coming off the bench.

I would happily take France's defensive options over ours, granted we do have good right wing backs...but currently only one of them is available. I think Bellingham gets into their midfield, outside of that, I'd take their midfield options over ours. I think we have better attacking options but then they have Mbappe and we have no one like that.

I'm taking Argentina's defence, midfield again bar Bellingham and I think the forward options are so and so between us but obviously they have Messi who is still a player who walks into top international teams at this age.

Personally I see it like this.

Brazil, France and Spain clear favourites and have stronger teams than us.  Portugal, Netherlands and Argentina all have a better team than us. We are then imo in a group of outliers such as Uruguay, Belgium, Germany (shit now tbf), Senegal, Denmark, Croatia.

We have an outside chance to win it and I would not deny that, but we are not favourites and we definitely do not have a good chance at winning the comp. If we do, based on the team we have and not the infrastructure the country has, it'd be a shock result. Especially imo when you have Brazil, France and Spain in it.

3 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Because trent can't defend? Almost at all? 

Trippier is an elite defender, brilliant from set pieces and solid going forward. 

TAA is a dogshit defender, brilliant from set pieces and brilliant going forward. 

England shouldn’t have needed an elite defender against USA. England should have dominated possession and scoring chnaces

Souness is also asking why Foden is not starting or coming on for England, sees him as our most talented attacker.

I didn't trust Neville's opinion alone yet Souness too.

Southgate maybe a stickler for players that play to his instructions rather than do their thing or perhaps it is the training aspect.  

Argentina lost 2-1 to Saudi Arabia

Germany lost 2-1 to Japan

England lost 0-0 to USA with Saka & Trippier on the right vs Pulisic (the best player on the pitch) & his full back.

Wales seems a better game to give TAA a match. If he's going to get 1. In fact, it's so difficult for England to not top the group whatever, I would be tempted to play the 'reserves' vs Wales. Just to know USA & Iran would question England throwing the match if they lose/draw having played Pope, TAA, White, Coady, Trippier, Henderson, Bellingham, Maddison, Foden, Rashford & Grealish

And if Brazil lose 0-0 to Switzerland you can bet some ex player & utterly failed coach in Brazil will be calling for Gabriel Jesus.

England's biggest problem right now is still when they come up against a side playing for the win.

On 26/11/2022 at 01:08, Cicero said:

Tbh I don’t rate this England squad and I understand why Southgate both plays a back 5 and favors certain players over others. 

Well you've said before that England have a good squad and southgate is doing a shit job so you've contradicted yourself there 

On 25/11/2022 at 21:02, Danny said:

Wish Neville would give it a rest about Foden. Greatest talent we have etc etc, he has never done it for England, he has never looked a cut above for England, so he goes on the bench. Simple.

I think it was Wayne Rooney who said that Foden doesn't fit into England that well because the style man city play is very different  to England. Say what you want about Rooney he has still managed at championship level and done an ok job so he knows more about football than the average fan. I can't remember foden having to many great performances for England. The fact is you don't always pick the best players you have pick players who fit into a system.

• The topic was unpinned
17 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Well you've said before that England have a good squad and southgate is doing a shit job so you've contradicted yourself there 

Because I suppose it is blasphemy for opinions to change. Jesus wept. 

England have a decent squad on paper but when fans are crying out for player X, Y, or Z to be on the pitch or for Southgate to play a more progressive game against some of the best teams in the world, I firmly believe England don't have the midfield capable.  

Tyler Adams and Yunus Musah ran circles around Declan Rice. 

Archived