talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group B - R2 - England 0-0 USA - Friday 25th November, 2022

football forum

Foden is someone I'd consider trying in Mount's spot. But feels a bit samey to me in terms of seeing any practical style of play difference, to the guy who scored 2 vs Iran & the guy who was our main man at the Euro's.

Foden or Grealish could maybe be a bit livlier & risk taking (where you can accept seeing risk) from the start at CAM. And Rashford being on 1 side of Kane would be a different type option. Maybe in the air. More of a physical presence.

People grandstanding about Foden being Pele or something now are just reactionaries. They're definitely not analysing with any clarity.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Foden is someone I'd consider trying in Mount's spot. But feels a bit samey to me in terms of seeing any practical style of play difference, to the guy who scored 2 vs Iran & the guy who was our main man at the Euro's.

Foden or Grealish could maybe be a bit livlier & risk taking (where you can accept seeing risk) from the start at CAM. And Rashford being on 1 side of Kane would be a different type option. Maybe in the air. More of a physical presence.

People grandstanding about Foden being Pele or something now are just reactionaries. They're definitely not analysing with any clarity.

Foden is England's best player and should start every game

1 minute ago, Reluctant Striker said:

I like Foden and hope he can perform for England, but so far the fact is that when he plays for England, a side that doesn’t control possession, doesn’t have the same amount of support off the ball and doesn’t have the midfield behind him who can pass the ball through a line of defence, he has struggled.

Until he can prove that he can do something for us, because whenever he plays for England he essentially plays like Mount, then he’ll get the game time everyone says he should get.

27 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

To be fair they're a win against Iran away from qualifying. 

Wales looked pretty poor against Iran tbh, and the US-Wales match was pretty even - I don’t think the way this group ends is really predictable on form.

Thought the US midfield was very good, England pretty poor all around. But this group is interesting.

• Subscriber

Total dirge from England. Extremely reminiscent of Scotland in 2020. There's always one duff 0-0 draw for England in the groups.

England still favourites to win the group but that isn't a side that's taking home any silverware. The cream always rises in the end and Southgate certainly isn't it.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Spike said:

What is the deal with England? Is Southgate an incompetent tactician? Is his game plan so simply relying on the quality of his players to brute force overwhelm teams?

Plays the percentages to a point where he genuinely thinks showing so little going forward against a bang average USA is acceptable. It'll get you so far but it won't win a tournament. This is a side capable of far better than that.

England played well against Iran but I wasn't quite falling for it. 6-2 was a bit flattering, England extremely clinical on the day and ultimately aren't all that hard to shut down, which is bad given there's obvious attacking talent in the side.

I think it ends in the quarters when they meet the first decent side.

• Administrator
50 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

So if England lose to wales and either Iran or USA win, Wales go through on head to head is the only way England bow out

Only if Wales score a shitload... 

A lot of the issues stem from Declan Rice needing to be the deepest midfielder. Not good in the defensive transition and doesn’t have the IQ to lead a transition under a press. 

There’s a reason England look good in a 5. 

48 minutes ago, Dan said:

Plays the percentages to a point where he genuinely thinks showing so little going forward against a bang average USA is acceptable. It'll get you so far but it won't win a tournament. This is a side capable of far better than that.

Sounds painfully familiar.

Imagine being a starter for a Guardiola side full of world class players and having him say you're a generational talent, only to sit on the bench for 90 minutes for England.

4 hours ago, Danny said:

now its an England fan who thinks we should win the World Cup xD

Did he mean you should as in you should be expected to, because that's close enough to the truth for me to not call that fan delusional.

Both Portugal and England have something in common which is on paper I think they have the two most talented squads in Europe but both have managers holding them back. Germany not in the conversation and France have lost a lot since 2018, particularly in the midfield.

England have a few advantages over us like not having a 37 y/o player in a crutial attacking position holding them back, and having a younger squad who should have more hunger as they have won less titles in general and many of them have played together for England for more than one tournament.

From all the european sides, I definitely think England should be the ones going to the final against Brazil/Argentina.

I really can't believe we didn't beat them. I really wanted us to win and with a few goals tonight, but in the end we didn't even manage to score 1 goal. This was a tepid and poor performance from England and to be fair, the draw was unfortunately a fair result. Our players looked tired and lethargic. Why the hell Foden didn't play, God only knows. He is one of our best players, Southgate didn't even bring him on as a sub. I am gutted with this result, even though we will probably still qualify. Southgate really needs to get us playing better than this, if we are going to go far in this World Cup.

10 minutes ago, Machado said:

Imagine being a starter for a Guardiola side full of world class players and having him say you're a generational talent, only to sit on the bench for 90 minutes for England.

Did he mean you should as in you should be expected to, because that's close enough to the truth for me to not call that fan delusional.

Both Portugal and England have something in common which is on paper I think they have the two most talented squads in Europe but both have managers holding them back. Germany not in the conversation and France have lost a lot since 2018, particularly in the midfield.

England have a few advantages over us like not having a 37 y/o player in a crutial attacking holding them back, and having a younger squad who should have more hunger as they have won less titles in general and many of them have played together for England for more than one tournament.

From all the european sides, I definitely think England should be the ones going to the final against Brazil/Argentina.

Mate there are about 6 nations ahead of England at this tournament and then there are about 4/5 nations that we are so and so with. Talk of us having a team that is good enough to win this comp is nonsense imo and if we were to do it then it would be a massive shock that is well above expectation.

Even before this match I would certainly have said England would be 2nd favourites in any match against France, however many injuries France have. And been highly nervous of a few others.

France have a generation that grew up knowing not much else than France being a leading nation. I increasingly think they are going for their 3rd star in their 2nd final vs Brazil. And would be France's 4th final of 7. Unless someone pulls off a shock.

For England to win, they would have to win it like Italy in 2006 much more than Spain 2010, Germany 2014 or France 2018. 

And so many of the possible candidates to stop France &/or Brazil have multi star shared belief. England, collectively, really need a 2nd star. If it ever comes it would do so much to help so many future generations have more belief. And be more relaxed. Players & fans perhaps.

1 hour ago, Machado said:

England have a few advantages over us like not having a 37 y/o player in a crutial attacking holding them back, and having a younger squad who should have more hunger as they have won less titles in general and many of them have played together for England for more than one tournament.

I think that applies to germany and portugal far more than england. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived