• Every day
    • Every 2-3 days
    • Every 4-5 days
    • About once a week
    • Every 2-3 weeks
    • Once a month
    • A few times per year
    • Never

I cut down a lot. I remember years back there were times when I ate meat every day. The cheap stuff too. 

Now I'd say I eat it 2 or maximum 3 times per week, but only meat that assures me that the animals had (somewhat) adequate housing. I'm open to cutting it down even more. Currently learning a lot about the vegetarian cuisine. I mean, you don't want to eat heavy cheese dishes every day either. But there are so many nice alternatives, but I'd say veggie dishes usually require more knowledge and skill so they don't taste too bland. But once you get them right, a really nice vegetarian dish can easily beat most of the meat dishes taste wise. 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I voted once a week, I think it should be about right on average. Because for example, if I buy half a kilo of minced beef, I will probably eat it 2-3 days in a row, but then after that, I will likely have one meal containing meat in two weeks or so. I have really cut down a lot, compared to the past. My typical average week menu consists of beef or chicken once, fish/seafood once or twice, and meatless meals otherwise. The only thing that makes it slightly complicated to account for is that I like buying some sort of cold cuts, like Salami or Parma ham for example, and then have a few slices every once in a while...

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I voted every 4-5 days... but I meant to pick every 2-3 days.

In the past, there used to be an option to delete votes, so people could re-vote. Can't find it on here. 😬

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Tommy said:

But there are so many nice alternatives, but I'd say veggie dishes usually require more knowledge and skill so they don't taste too bland. But once you get them right, a really nice vegetarian dish can easily beat most of the meat dishes taste wise. 

Proper seasoning is all it takes, imo. 

I'll eat fish one day, have a vegan option another, I'll also always have a pasta dish once a week. 

The remaining 4 days are all meat days although one of my "hobbies" is eating out (hehe), so I may go for a non-meat dish if something that appeals is on the menu.

I haven't fully bought into cutting meat out of my diet, but am striving to be as balanced as possible.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Do we count fish as meat or not? Because I never do... but I mean... technically... it's still animal meat?

Yeah, technically it's meat for sure, since it's animal flesh. But I also have this distinction in my head, so I automatically do not count it as meat, either xD 

42 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Do we count fish as meat or not? Because I never do... but I mean... technically... it's still animal meat?

35 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah, technically it's meat for sure, since it's animal flesh. But I also have this distinction in my head, so I automatically do not count it as meat, either xD 

It is one of the most confusing questions ever. xD

Also in German we have a phrase "Weder Fisch noch Fleisch" which means "it's neither Fish nor Meat" with what you'd describe something rather unclear. 

• Administrator

2-3 days. 

Used to be more. Especially at uni and shortly after. 

But then that resulted in kidney stones (I had a lot of chicken and protein). So had to cut down and then drink much more water, which I do. 

It's usually mince meat or chicken once during the weak, and then on a weekend. But even sometimes might not be on a weekend as we'll have fish or something veggie as might be a religious day. 

There's a 9-day religious period in the Hindu calendar called Norta. Have to be veggie during that time and its quite difficult xD. The silver lining being its actually probably quite good on the body. 

• Subscriber

I do love a salad but even then I will have a bit of meat with it, say 2-3 days a week, the wife is paranoid about running out dates on anything so more often or not if she thinks the eggs are running out of date she will rustle up some scrambled eggs or omelet with toast and baked beans.

What are you lot eating the rest of the week if you’re only having meat 2-3 days a week? I sometimes struggle for ideas.  

I would say 5 odd days a week depending on the meal rotation we’ve got going on or if there’s leftovers. 

Usually one chicken, beef, fish, and then there’s a meal with ham in it like a quiche or a frittata, and then I’ve included leftovers as a day or two. Often have a soup or a veggie based meal too. 

And fish is definitely meat.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Toinho said:

What are you lot eating the rest of the week if you’re only having meat 2-3 days a week? I sometimes struggle for ideas.  

I would say 5 odd days a week depending on the meal rotation we’ve got going on or if there’s leftovers. 

Usually one chicken, beef, fish, and then there’s a meal with ham in it like a quiche or a frittata, and then I’ve included leftovers as a day or two. Often have a soup or a veggie based meal too. 

And fish is definitely meat.

Indian cuisine has a lot of alternatives.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Toinho said:

I too clicked the wrong answer as it’s worded like a non native speaker 🤦‍♂️ I meant 4-5 times a week not every 4-5 days which would mean like twice a fortnight. 

This is why @Tommy shouldn't be in charge of anything. 

14 minutes ago, Toinho said:

I too clicked the wrong answer as it’s worded like a non native speaker 🤦‍♂️ I meant 4-5 times a week not every 4-5 days which would mean like twice a fortnight. 

I took the answer options from a British survey. xD

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Toinho said:

Vegetables, legumes, mushrooms, rice, kimchi, eggs, cheese. Also, seafood - I know fish is technically meat, but it's really hard for me to consider shrimp or mussels to be equivalent to meat. 

I tend to make a lot of different stir fries and wraps mostly, also some salads, soups and stews. Potatoes are very versatile and play an important role in my diet. Beans, lentils and other legumes as well. Tomatoes, cauliflower, green beans, peppers, onions. Etc etc etc.

Wraps are the best. I eat them at least once a week. Anything goes. Got some Couscous left over? Throw it in there. Mash up some Falafel, or just some tomatoes, cheese, cucumbers... anything goes. 

Archived