talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group C - R2 - Argentina 2-0 Mexico - Saturday 26th November, 2022

football forum

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Group C - R2 - Argentina 2-0 Mexico - Saturday 26th November, 2022
  • Administrator

Fernández and Alvarez coming on changed the game for Argentina. Gave them more impetus in midfield and mobility up front. 

Then Fernández seals the win anyway. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Waylander said:

That makes KSA against Mexico on the last day very promising.

And the whole group in general. 

I wouldn't put it past Saudi Arabia to beat Mexico. 

We spend 100m for Declan Rice whilst ignoring a far superior footballer in Enzo Fernandez then what the fuck is the actual point in bringing all these ‘data gurus’ for us to only behave the same as we have under Roman? 

Filth of a goal he scored and such a technical player. 

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

We spend 100m for Declan Rice whilst ignoring a far superior footballer in Enzo Fernandez then what the fuck is the actual point in bringing all these ‘data gurus’ for us to only behave the same as we have under Roman? 

I’d say those two player fulfil different roles in their teams.

10 minutes ago, Spike said:

I’d say those two player fulfil different roles in their teams.

I’m in the opinion Declan Rice is neither a holding midfielder or defensive midfielder. At least not one you’d expect to compete against at the best midfields in the world. For all of Jorginho’s faults, having Rice replace him would be a terrible move. 

More box to box imo and it’s no surprise a lot of Englands struggles come from Rice being a lone DM as a factor. 

Should be a fascinating finish to this group.

Hilarious to see Gary Neville on ITV writing off Messi at half time. I don't see much of him on Sky, but I find I usually dislike, disagree or just don't understand the traditional Sky type panellists opinions. I wonder if it's something to do with being wrapped up in regional-club thinking?

22 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Unfortunately he is off to England probably after that goal.

8 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I’m in the opinion Declan Rice is neither a holding midfielder or defensive midfielder. At least not one you’d expect to compete against at the best midfields in the world. For all of Jorginho’s faults, having Rice replace him would be a terrible move. 

More box to box imo and it’s no surprise a lot of Englands struggles come from Rice being a lone DM as a factor. 

I’d agree. He isn’t anything really, good at everything, great at nothing. But if Chelsea are looking at Rice to fufill a need in the team, they won’t even touch Fernandez, given the two aren’t really comparable.

But then again, I’m the sort that thinks ideas of ‘defensive midfielder’ and pidgeonholing positions is an antiquated habit of football fans.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

I’d agree. He isn’t anything really, good at everything, great at nothing. But if Chelsea are looking at Rice to fufill a need in the team, they won’t even touch Fernandez, given the two aren’t really comparable.

But then again, I’m the sort that thinks ideas of ‘defensive midfielder’ and pidgeonholing positions is an antiquated habit of football fans.

Personally, I’d rather the club break the bank for Enzo so he can partner Mount in midfield, whilst we bring in an actual DM to sit beneath them. 

For the DM, my biggest worry is the club have identified Rice to be “that guy”, which leaves me incredibly worried for the future if this is the best our data/recruitment guru’s have to offer. 

1 hour ago, Waylander said:

I think Mexico can step up the pace in a game not sure KSA can.

Will be interesting for sure.

Why do think Mexico can? They’ve been one of the most pessimistic teams at the tournament, they haven’t played to win at all

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Michael said:

Messi and Argentina into the Round of 16 looks very likely now after this win. How far Argentina go after that is anyone's guess.

Not sure a win over Poland is as guaranteed as you think it is. 

They upped their performance in 2nd half today, but will be hard to beat Poland. 

11 hours ago, Spike said:

Why do think Mexico can? They’ve been one of the most pessimistic teams at the tournament, they haven’t played to win at all

I agree they have not played well yet think some of that is mentality in a group situation, think knowing they have to win they will step up.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived