talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Scottish Football to Implement Heading Ban in Training

football forum

• Subscriber

Professional footballers in Scotland are to be banned from heading the ball in training the day before and the day after a game.

Clubs are also being told to limit exercises that involve repetitive heading to one session per week.

The new guidelines come after Glasgow University research that showed former footballers were three-and-a-half times more likely to die from brain disease.

Experts believe there could be a link to repetitive heading of the ball.

The Scottish Football Association (SFA) already has guidelines in place limiting heading in youth football, with a ban on headers in training for the under-12 age group.

FULL REPORT

• The title was changed to Scottish Football to Implement Heading Ban in Training
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

We have all been through this with boxing, punches to the head, etc but it still goes on, what next, professional footballers or any footballer, in fact, should wear head guards as they do in amateur boxing, and going further should rugby union/league players wear head guards like American Grid Iron players?

41 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Personally I think players weiring that head gear that petr Cech wore might be the answer 

Petr Cech had a depressed skull fracture. The head gear protected his skull. This has nothing to do with heading a ball. Your brain will ricochet within your skull whether you wear a helmet or not.

4 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Petr Cech had a depressed skull fracture. The head gear protected his skull. This has nothing to do with heading a ball. Your brain will ricochet within your skull whether you wear a helmet or not.

Fair enough. So would you need a proper helmet like in American football for it to make any difference? Which obviously isn't practical 

Just now, Gunnersaurus said:

Fair enough. So would you need a proper helmet like in American football for it to make any difference? Which obviously isn't practical 

It’s not about the impact of the ball on the skull. It’s about the whiplash. A helmet will only make a person head the ball harder causing more whiplash when they do.

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

It’s not about the impact of the ball on the skull. It’s about the whiplash. A helmet will only make a person head the ball harder causing more whiplash when they do.

Ow right. So I'm guessing they get a lot of head injuries in American football?

The problem is football is such a mainstream sport that it has to be reasonable safe. Sports like boxing are different because not so many people do it and the ones that do are aware ofnthe risks 

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Its a shame but I don't think its a mistake. Don't think it will happen for a while yet though 

I'd say it is, makes a huge fundamental difference to the sport. I'm not saying it comes without knock on effects but that is life.

• Administrator
53 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

I'd pay to see this to be fair xD

• Subscriber
50 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Sports like boxing are different because not so many people do it

There are quite a lot of people doing boxing, I did it in my young days and our eldest grandson (16) is boxing as an amateur WITH a head guard but we have been told by the trainer and manager that he could go far so if he does then a pound to a penny (if he is as good as the trainers say) he will one day box as a professional later on in years WITHOUT a head guard. 

I think @JoshBRFC would agree with me on that, that a lot of people do boxing nowadays. 

• Subscriber
On 28/11/2022 at 18:03, CaaC (John) said:

There are quite a lot of people doing boxing, I did it in my young days and our eldest grandson (16) is boxing as an amateur WITH a head guard but we have been told by the trainer and manager that he could go far so if he does then a pound to a penny (if he is as good as the trainers say) he will one day box as a professional later on in years WITHOUT a head guard. 

I think @JoshBRFC would agree with me on that, that a lot of people do boxing nowadays. 

I’d definitely say it’s more popular than it used to be. It’s such a good way to learn discipline.

I might be a cunt but here I go. 

I think heading the ball should be allowed and continue to be allowed at the highest levels of the game. I think these findings should be published for players, and parents of kids being put into youth divisions to see. I definitely think young kids (under 10s) shouldn't be allowed to head the ball. 
However, beyond that, it comes down to agency. As long as people know the risks let them choose to do it, like rugby players or MMA fighters and boxers. 

On 28/11/2022 at 18:03, CaaC (John) said:

No where near as many as football mate. Its not even close. Like I said football is such a popular sport headers will probably be scrapped one day. For football to stay so popular it will need to evolve. And sports that a dangerous are never as popular. At least in terms of participation 

Archived