talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round of 16 - Netherlands 3-1 USA - Saturday 3rd December, 2022

football forum

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

USA has surprised me a bit. I think of their starting lineup... other than at striker tbh... they're a good side. Lots of energy in the midfield, great work ethic. They create more chances than they can put away though - so they need to be clinical. I think with a decent striker they'll actually be really good when they're hosting next time around.

I do think their quality in depth is pretty poor though - especially apparent in that match against Iran where the substitutes came on and showed basically 0 of the fight and work ethic that had the US looking so dominant in the match. Players like Haji Wright and Shaq... I forget his last name... they came on and basically spent their time on the pitch doing all they could to make sure the US had a nervy end to the match. I wonder if that's also why their second half against Wales was pretty poor or if the players just got tired.

From what I've seen of the Netherlands... it's a bit of the opposite. They don't have anywhere near as much energy as the US... but they've got the tournament's in-form striker. And I think while it's not the best Dutch team we've seen by any stretch of imagination... the quality in depth is not so bad - doesn't strike me as so much of a dropoff as with the US squad.

I think the Netherlands will win this, but I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up going any way. I think the US's best chance is another first half full of energy... but this time capitalising on it more than with just the one goal. For the Netherlands... the best chance is just getting the ball to Gakpo in the box as much as possible.

I really fancy the USA to progress.

Netherlands will need to seriously up their game because they got through the group treading water. Nothing impressive about their performances at all.

The US are battle hardened. They have been playing that in your face, high intensity style and I think that could catch Holland cold.

The only thing about them is how many goals they have in their locker because the striking options are so poor, it's a reliance on the midfielders/wingers.

• Subscriber

Think Gakpo will shine here honestly. The Dutch have to start playing with a lot more intensity and this is really do-or-die time. If they don't show up to this one I'd be very surprised given how lackadaisical their campaign has been so far.

• Administrator

Netherlands usually start quick to get the goal and then drop off dramatically to just ride a game out. 

Risky against a high-energy side like USA. I think the game is won in midfield and oddly, USA with Aaronson and Adams may come out on top. 

I think our game will come back in the knockout stages, we played with so much energy leading up to the world cup, blowing teams away and scoring a lot of goals.   Its good in a way that we have just been in 1st gear in the group games, we can only improve.  I just think the biggest problem is the link up with midfield and attack, as the midfield comes too deep so there is a huge gap between the attackers.   Van Gaal needs to go back to put Depay at number 10 and Bergwijn with Gakpo upfront.

I think we will beat the USA 2-0, they always seem to tire very early on in the 2nd half, they struggled against Wales and Iran.

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Van Gaal needs to go back to put Depay at number 10 and Bergwijn with Gakpo upfront.

Is Depay fully fit? 

I watched him in the Qatar game and he seemed so rusty and off the pace. Couldn't control the ball and rushed a shot. He broke down a lot of the Netherlands' play. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see USA make it really difficult for Netherlands but with their lack of goal threat and with Netherlands' defence, its hard to see where they're gonna find a goal.

Might be difficult for Netherlands to find the first goal but after they do, I think they'll be comfortable.

Obviously Netherlands are favourites but I think they'll win comfortably. The USA will take a lot of comfort for how well they played against England but this is a different side with a much better defence and midfield. Frenkie de Jong will not be anywhere near as passive as our centre mids were in passing the ball forwards and trying to break lines, not to mention Gakpo is in brilliant form.

The US nearly troubling Netherlands but their passing in the box in not good. Decent shot from outside the box and the US are pressuring well. Poor decision making once they get to the box though.

• The title was changed to Round of 16 - Netherlands 3-1 USA - Saturday 3rd December, 2022
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived