• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round of 16 - Netherlands 3-1 USA - Saturday 3rd December, 2022

football forum

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Stan said:

Wright will never score a goal like that ever again. Defies the laws of physics how he's scored like that. 

Seems like he's as capable of scoring with a bad touch as he is ruining a chance with a bad touch.

• The title was changed to Round of 16 - Netherlands 3-1 USA - Saturday 3rd December, 2022
  • Subscriber

That was expected. This US team needs to do a lot to become competitive in the later stages of a tournament. Their passing was poor, the retention was pointless and in the end their finishing was what let them down. A better striker today and they get 3 goals.

Interesting it looked like the Netherlands did to the US today what the US did to England in the group stage. Very clever play by the Netherlands.

Du Pay looks on form again took his goal well and looked lively.

Credit to the Us they had a go, pity they could not get Weah running down the right a bit more.

I did think USA would make it more difficult.

The Netherlands route to the final is perhaps Q-Final vs Argentina, who are looking very, very beatable & semi vs Brazil, or anyone who stops Brazil, from South Korea, Japan or Croatia.

I am starting to think a 4th final appearance would not at all be beyond them.

1 minute ago, Reluctant Striker said:

I did think USA would make it more difficult.

The Netherlands route to the final is perhaps Q-Final vs Argentina, who are looking very, very beatable & semi vs Brazil, or anyone who stops Brazil, from South Korea, Japan or Croatia.

I am starting to think a 4th final appearance would not at all be beyond them.

4th loss too

This was quite a comfortable win for the Netherlands. Depay's early goal was excellently struck after the ball was cut back to him. Blind then scored the 2nd goal, where again, he struck home a ball that was cut back to him right at the end of the first half. At that point, it felt like there was no chance of a USA comeback. However, Wright scored an incredible goal to pull a goal back for the US with a quarter of an hour of the match to go. But the Netherlands extended their lead 5 minutes later, when Dumfries found himself free at the far post, and he made no mistake, by volleying the ball into the back of the net from Blind's cross. The Netherlands look strong defensively and with de Jong playing excellently in midfield, as well as  Gakpo and Depay looking real threats in attack, their team seems to work very well. Argentina will find it very difficult to defeat this solid looking Netherlands team.

• The topic was unpinned
On 02/12/2022 at 09:54, Panna King said:

I think our game will come back in the knockout stages, we played with so much energy leading up to the world cup, blowing teams away and scoring a lot of goals.   Its good in a way that we have just been in 1st gear in the group games, we can only improve.  I just think the biggest problem is the link up with midfield and attack, as the midfield comes too deep so there is a huge gap between the attackers.   Van Gaal needs to go back to put Depay at number 10 and Bergwijn with Gakpo upfront.

I think we will beat the USA 2-0, they always seem to tire very early on in the 2nd half, they struggled against Wales and Iran.

As per my prediction before the game, we would be better and win by 2 goals.  We will grow now in next game, I don't see anything from Argentina to worry about at all unless you stand off and wank over Messi like some other teams have done.  I think we will win this comfortable, with our solid defence, the only thing I be worried about is if just play against the name and give Argentina too much respect.  their defence can be got at very easy with pace.

Archived