talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round of 16 - England 3-0 Senegal - Saturday 4th December, 2022

football forum

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is going to be a bloody tough nut to crack. My gut feels like this could be an extra time/penalties job, it's got that slog about it. 

I also think anyone that even mentions France in the quarters need to get their head checked. Senegal need to be heavily respected, even without Mane. For me, they should have beaten the Netherlands in the group game.

Simply can't overlook them however, we have a great bunch of young players who carry a lot more belief into these games now that you'd have to back us to get the job done.

Our bench and the changes we can make offensively, could well be pivitol in this game.

It's certainly not an easy game for England. Probably the biggest test yet. I expect Senegal will go for it a bit more than any group side did.

I predict a hectic opening, but England to be ahead 1-0 by half time. Kane off the mark with a header or tap in. Will seem an emphatic score line by the end.

And then the Q-Final stage. And I'll have opinions on that if & when we get there.

Senegal progressed from a penalty and a set piece goal. England did as well as expected despite the less impressive performance against the USA. They should have too much quality all around and coming off the bench for Senegal to handle.

The starting line up I would go with:

Pickford

Walker-or-Trippier Stones Maguire Shaw

Henderson Rice Bellingham

Saka Kane Rashford

Not sure if it's best to give Walker game time or rest. But I'd want Trippier on toward the end from now on.

The midfield improved intensity & maybe allows a back 4.

Foden & Grealish are almost certainly coming on. And I feel their status levels should mean they simply have to be involved in any penalty shoot outs. Maybe somewhere behind Kane, Maguire, Trippier. Bellingham? Maybe Rice?

And with that kind of thinking, maybe Gallagher & Trippier come on for Henderson & Walker.

So I would have Grealish, Foden, Trippier & Gallagher as perhaps 4 scheduled subs.

Saw a clip of Gary Lineker suggesting we shouldnt risk Kyle Walker and save him to mark Mbappe if we and the French get through.

Not the most daft idea in the world to be fair, Trippier is more than capable tonight.

Apart from that, I expect the same team.

19 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Saw a clip of Gary Lineker suggesting we shouldnt risk Kyle Walker and save him to mark Mbappe if we and the French get through.

Not the most daft idea in the world to be fair, Trippier is more than capable tonight.

Apart from that, I expect the same team.

Trippier has been poor imo, don’t want him on the pitch. Very clear difference in class between them when Walker started.

3 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

Nerves are kicking in now. 

The group of players we have is unreal, we have to win a tournament sooner or later. 

Just kicked in a tiny bit for me. Which was unexpected. Haven't felt anything this world cup and the Euros will be hard to top in terms of emotional experience.

• The title was changed to Round of 16 - England 3-0 Senegal - Saturday 4th December, 2022
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived