The better place to talk football.

Stoppage/Injury Time

football forum

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
Just now, Spike said:

Surely this has to be a record for any tournament? Nearly every game hits 100 minutes. 

Quite rightly so. I like that there's extended stoppage time. Hopefully cuts out all the time-wasting that players/clubs employ and then somehow the officials conclude only 2 minutes at the end of a half xD

I hope domestic leagues/FAs adopt it.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Quite rightly so. I like that there's extended stoppage time. Hopefully cuts out all the time-wasting that players/clubs employ and then somehow the officials conclude only 2 minutes at the end of a half xD

I hope domestic leagues/FAs adopt it.

Not stopping the clock is stupid but it’s better than commercials.

On 02/12/2022 at 05:36, Harry said:

I feel bad for the players. Having to play so many extra minutes in compressed tournaments is bound to take a toll

Well, in theory they are now playing the correct minutes. When you think about how added time is calculated they’re actually not playing more time. I.e time wasting, injuries, substitutions, goals, are all non active moments of the game. 

It's certainly something new, that the players have had to get used to. But I agree with those who support this new procedure, as it seems fairer in my opinion. In theory, it should really favour the bigger teams, as it gives them more time to crack open opposition defences. But we've still seen several shock results at this World Cup.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I've liked how it's worked in this tournament and would like to see it at least trialled in league matches. There's always going to be a 'loophole' and that needs to be considered to stop, for example, a player feigning an injury just so the manager can pass on information to the other players, but I think it's definitely something to trial and consider. It's not going to be detrimental to a game like VAR is on a regular basis.

Archived